Losing Weight and Toning at the same time (Is it Possible)

Options
Just to give a little background. I recently started on my weight loss journey. I am 6ft.4 inches and weighted 331 pounds at starting. Now i am at 289. Because i am tall my weight doesn't really show. In addition i have always been working out on off so it is is not hard for my body to register changes when i work out. My goal is to go down to 210 pounds.

What i want to know is, is it a realistic goal to try and lose weight and tone at the same time. I do cardio every day and weight lifting at a minimum of 3 times per week. I have noticed that my body reacts more to lifting but i don't want to be bulky and would like to be at a slim physique with a little muscle. In addition, i am afraid of having loose skin after working out.

I would like guidance from persons who have the same concern and to hear what is the best program to achieve such a goal.

Replies

• djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as toning. You are either losing mass, or gaining mass. If you run a calorie deficit, you will lose mass. If you run a calorie surplus, you will gain mass. You exercise and macros will determine whether you are primarily losing or gaining fat or muscle.

Lift while in a deficit to maintain muscle mass and lose mostly fat. Lift while in a surplus to gain mostly muscle (with some inevitable fat gain). And you will not wake up one day and be bulky by accident. Lose fat, then add muscle until you are content. If your bf % get higher than you are comfortable while adding muscle, cut fat again.
  • denosoft
    Options
    Okay, I see. Thanks much.