How do you fit your workout into your daily routine?

Options

Replies

• mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I workout right when I get home from work, before any of the excuses can set in. If I didn't work as early as I do I would get up in the morning and get it out of the way.

In the summer when it is far too hot to walk in the mid afternoon I walk after dinner. :)
  • ttknowles01
    ttknowles01 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I workout at home, so I'm up at 5 AM, and usually done by 6 AM and out of the house by 7:30ish
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I have to have the kids out the door for school by 7:15 AM. So I get up at 5:00, am out the door for my run, or on my bike. They are old enough now, they get themselves up and ready and they head to school, I head straight to work. I run home for my second workout if I'm doing one on my lunch hour. I get home between 5-7 pm from work and make dinner, get kids ready for next day, walk the dog and hit bed by 9:00.

I really think it's all what you make it. I'm fortunate enough to have a boss that allows me to work around my training schedules for my races. But that comes at a price of working 6 days a week. I also get to take a longer lunch hour on days I work out at lunch. As the days get shorter, I will swap up my training days. I will do my speed work on the high school track on Sundays, instead of Monday AM, and I will do my mid-week 10 miler on Wednesday lunch hour.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    I am at work at 7am and my gym opens at 5:30am. in order to shower, eat and everything i am only able to get in a 30 minute cardio if i chose to go in the morning.

otherwise m-f i leave work about 5:15, at the gym by 5:30 and am there for 1.5 - 2 hours

saturdays i go first thing in the morning for an hour cardio
  • noelbugley
    noelbugley Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I do Bikram Yoga as many times a week as I can. I aim for 5 days a week and right now I am doing a 30 day challenge so it's been every day for the last 10 days. I go after work so I have no excuse. I keep tons of yoga clothes, towels and even a "back-up" mat so I really have to go!! The only days I have issues are the weekends or days off when my "routine" is interrupted. I like routine!!! I'm so much better on days I go to work which kind of makes me even like work!!
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    It's the first thing I start my day with...very early in the morning.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5 am and go for a run so I'm back before any of the kids are even out of bed. Then it doesn't interfere in my family time.
  • MsP90X
    MsP90X Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I am a 5am riser too... get up before the sunrise and the children for my cardio and then lift at night when the children are asleep. Following that I fall into a coma until the next morning at 5 :)
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Pretty simple answer for me. I work out in the evening after work (5ish). I'm just not a morning person.
  • mindidily
    mindidily Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    If we have nothing going on at work, I get PT time (military) and now a days it's an "on your own" thing instead of group PT at the gym at 0730. On these days I am lucky enough to be given until 0930 to report in. But to give the kids a bit of a break, I get up at 0450 to run and walk the dog, since my husband is still home. He leaves at 0600 so I can do my thing and let the kids sleep. Then I can shower and eat and get them off to daycare and get to work.
    If I have to be at the office at 0730, I either do the same but a lot earlier or I tell husband ahead of time that I will be taking an hour that evening to run and dog walk. If he already has something going on, I still will walk the dog while pushing the boys in the stroller or I take the kids on a bike ride (I have a trailer for the back).
  • dawn_h_d
    dawn_h_d Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I am unemployed, so I do my stuff in the morning. I would rather do it at night, but our house is small, so it is easier when I am home alone. I have to use some give and take.

As I have been searching for work, and getting interviews, one of the first things I try to figure when seeing the hours is what would be the best for working out. Now that is a change in my attitude from a year ago.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    They have a small gym here at work. A couple of treadmills, stairmaster, bike, free weights, and a couple of weight machines. So as soon as I clock out, I head over there and get it done. Now on the weekends I usually put on a DVD, walk, or go for an early morning run. It's hot and humid here as well most days so I get it in early when it's cooler.
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I have a similar schedule to you...here is my Mon - Fri routine:

5:30am - wake up and walk the dog 1 mile
    7am - leave for work and get there at 7:20ish
    5:30pm - leave work and head straight to the gym for a work out

Home by 7pm.
    9:45pm - another mile walk with the dog before bed (my BF takes care of his mid day walks:)

I picked a gym that was close to work/home so that I could go there right from work...once I am home there are too many distractions so it's best for me to just go straight there.

Sat & Sun I sleep in and don't usually get to the gym until 11 or 12 depending on weekend plans/travel etc. Weekdays are much more consistent unless I'm traveling for work.
  • mdgivens
    mdgivens Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    On strength days (M/W/F), I get up at 4:30 am to do fasted walking before everyone wakes up, and then I lift in the evening after the kids have gone to bed.

On conditioning days (T/Th/Sa), I get up at 5:00 am to run, row, etc.

On Sundays, I get up at 6:00 am to do fasted walking.

Basically, I train outside of family time.
  • Nikki_G30
    Nikki_G30 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Working out is super important to me so I make it a priority. I work full time and have a dog as well. My typical week is as follows:

Mon: 4:15am walk dog (25 mins), 5:30 am Fury Class (60 mins at gym), 7:45 am catch bus
    Tues: 4:15am walk dog (25 mins), 5:30 am Spin Class (60 mins at gym), 7:45 am catch bus
    Wed: 4:15am walk dog (25 mins), 5:30 am Fury Class (60 mins at gym), 7:45 am catch bus
    Thurs: 5 am walk dog (25 mins), 3-5 mile run outside depending on time, 7:45 am catch bus; 6 pm Spin class at gym
    Fri: 4:15am walk dog (25 mins), 5:30 am Fury Class (60 mins at gym), 7:45 am catch bus
    Sat: off day but usually 3-4 mile hike/walk with dog
    Sun: 7am or 8 am Long Run (anywhere between 6-12 miles)

I try to leave my nights free to hang out with my husband but I might take a class here or there or go for a run depending on the heat. It was hard getting up that early initially but I find that if I workout in the mornings then I get it done. In the evenings, I find too many excuses not to go.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I get up bright and early at 4:50 a.m. That is the only time I have since I work full-time and I have two young kids.
  • bernied262
    bernied262 Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    My weekdays go something like this:

7am - start work (I work from Home)
    11am - walk the dog
    midday - back to work
    5pm - finish work, cook dinner
    6:15 pm - walk the dog
    7:30 pm/8pm - drive to the gym, work out for 90 mins
    9:30/10pm - get home
    10pm - 10:30 - protein shake and then shower.
    10:30 til midnight-ish, catch up on my MFP friends days, household admin, etc.

Weekends are my rest days, no schedule on those days :)
  • kpick41
    kpick41 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm not a morning person, so I rarely do my workouts in the morning. Unless it's the weekend and we have a bunch of plans, I'll head out for a run around 6:30.
    I try to look at my schedule on Sunday nights and write in times to workout. With 2 kids and a husband's soccer schedules it's a little hectic and never the same time each day!
  • fishnr2
    fishnr2 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    In the UK. Cold. No dog either.
    5:50 get up at , get a protein shake,
    6:00- work out till 7:00
    then I'm at work around 8:30 and have my breakfast.
    6:30 back from work and I have my last meal of the day( fifth one) and then or a bike ride or weights. For like a hour. And then I have my me time.
    to be clear my other half has a free time to exercise his thumbs when I do a real workout.
    And I'm finding to have more energy during the day if I do the workout in the morning.
  • shannonahenderson
    Options
    JUST DO IT!

Sorry, I couldn't resist but the old adage from Nike is so befitting...LOL!

I wake up at 5am to get my morning workout in before the rest of house wakes up and I do my evening workout while my son is at swim practice everyday for 1.5 hours...

It's like brushing your teeth....you gotta fit it in.