To the woman I see on Rt 4 in MA

Options

Replies

• gwenr
    gwenr Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Im in MA too and this is an awesome (and totally non creepy, some people are so paranoid) post. THANK YOU!!
  • udamom
    udamom Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    awesome post!! made me cry :o)
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post, it made my day, and I commend you for your kindness to this woman. Next time honk your horn to get her attention so she sees your sign of encouragement.

I'm a 65 yo guy that's been working on improving myself for the past several years. I've come a long way, and have a long way to go to get to where I want to be. It hasn't been easy.

Made a decision this summer to run a 5k. The race is this coming weekend, September 14th. This will be my first. Started running on my own late June. I would be one of those folks on the running trail looking like I was in pain because I was and am, but I've kept at it thanks to comments such as yours from people I passed by, and the examples set by others on MFP.

Almost everyone out there, runners, walkers, etc., would say "hi" or good morning or something, and I give them a greeting as well. Many times it was difficult to say "hi" or "Good Morning" or "thank you" when they made room for me on the trail while I was panting and gasping for air.

The nicest thing I heard was from an elderly lady I never seen before, who first stepped off the trail to let me pass when she heard my heavy breathing and sound of my footsteps, and then said, "looking good!!" as I went by. That little comment meant so much and brought tears to my eyes. An ounce of encouragement, a kind word, or simply giving way when they heard the sound of footsteps and heavy breathing means so VERY much.

Keep giving the positive strokes OP, folks like that woman, and myself need them and appreciate them. It's part of what keeps us going.

You'll do great on your first 5k, Good luck to you!!:drinker:
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Thank you OP. You just made my day!!
  • HermioneDanger118
    HermioneDanger118 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    This post in incredibly powerful. Too often those of us in the beginning of our journey struggle with perception...we fear the sideways glances, and the way we look when we're struggling to run a 20 minute mile on a road along some roadrunner type, or the fear that some jerk is going to moo at us as we ride our bike past them (this has actually happened to me)...but then there's this. The fact that we're out there, doing it, just like this lady, determined to get through it at any cost, that makes us more powerful than anything else. I applaud this woman, and I applaud you for helping me realize that when I'm out there, slow, painful, struggling, there is someone, somewhere cheering me on

Yes, all of this.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Great post :)

I have a guy like that close to where I live. Rain or shine, summer or winter he is out there pounding the pavement every morning. Very inspiring :smile:
  • parrotlover
    parrotlover Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    It's just so nice to have a man recognize and also feel so passionately about seeing a woman working through her pain and not giving up. Most men don't seem very interested in this struggle many women deal with on a daily basis. It's a struggle not only with a women's body but also her mind.
    So refreshing....
  • polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    This is a fantastic post! Not creepy at all...some people are very cynical, it's sad.

OP I'm glad you wrote this. I have been that woman before, when I tried doing the C25K. People would see me struggling along, sweat pouring off me in buckets, but I always looked them in the eye and always got a smile or a thumbs up! It was very motivating.

:flowerforyou:
  • kowajenn
    kowajenn Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    My husband and used to see a man jogging, painfully slowly, every morning when we were leaving for work. By his gait, we assume he had a stroke or other type of brain injury. He was out there every day but you could tell it was a big struggle for him.

We started commuting an hour later so we didn't see him for about a year. One day I was off and he went jogging past and looked incredible. The improvement was amazing and I teared up because I was so happy for him.

Thanks to this post, if I see him again I am going to stop him for a second and tell him that I've noticed how great he is doing and that he inspires me.
  • You are a wonderful specimen of male. Thanks for this.
  • xtinalee17
    xtinalee17 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    This is fantastic!
  • Greywalk
    Greywalk Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Awesome post...reading it made me remember the first 5K I did and how i was back of the pack but there were people cheering me on.
  • leannerae40
    leannerae40 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    BEST POST EVER.:flowerforyou:
  • slimmergalpal
    slimmergalpal Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    You made my day !
  • crazie4lulu
    crazie4lulu Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    This made me teary eyed while reading....there is something incredibly powerful about this woman who can inspire others to be more than they are just because she's riding a bike. I wish I were her. God luv ya for not only noticing, but for silently cheering her on, and for making her an anonymous hero :drinker:
    Totally agree!!!
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I live in MA too and while not in the Rt 4 area there are several people I see jogging every day and inspire the same sentiment. My personal inspiration is the guy who runs outside in the rain with an umbrella when it's raining.
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    This is a perfect example of how you can affect people you don't even know just by being who you are. This lovely lady doesn't have a clue how many people she inspires!!! People that don't even live anywhere near her!!!

YOU GO GIRL

and thank you OP! I needed this!
  • BobcatGirl110
    BobcatGirl110 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I couldn't resist coming back to this thread to read others thoughts even though I posted soon after it was created. I see now that everyone feels the same...that this is such a wonderful post and frankly it BRINGS BACK recent memories of when I (and we all) got started and were afraid to run/walk/ride where people could see us and BRINGS OUT the overall support we have in our community of "exercisers". We are a group that will be inspired by someone "ahead of us in the journey" and will encourage someone "just starting out". I hope all new members to this site read this thread as well. This type of post is what's good and right about MFP :)
  • bombshellinprogress
    Options
    I absolutely love this post!:love:
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    These are the kind of posts that I ABSOLUTELY ADORE!!! Thank you OP, not only for sharing with us, but also for continuing to give her the thumbs up, even if she doesn't see it today or tomorrow, one day she will and will appreciate it!