What is wrong with my plan - gaining instead of losing!?

Options

Replies

• Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Does THC in THCguy refer to Marijuana? It is nearly impossible to lose while smoking. Just asking, please do not take offense. I am not anti pot at all.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I track everything I eat - no exceptions. I use whatever calories/nutritional info that MFP has under that item.

My typical day is:
    BREAKFAST SHAKE or BREAKFAST SANDWICH (200 calories)
    MORNING GRANOLA SNACK BAR (200 calories)
    LUNCH (usually a healthy choice as I can't leave work) - (450 calories)
    AFTERNOON SNACK BAR + FRUIT (300 calories)
    DINNER (varies) - (800 calories)

Workout routine is 3 times a week:
    30 minutes of interval training on treadmill (run for 2 minutes - walk for 3 minutes - run for 2 minutes - walk for 3 minutes,,,,,,,,,)
    30 minutes of circuit training
    10 minutes stretching and cool down

Not sure how I open my diary but sure.

BREAKFAST SHAKE or BREAKFAST SANDWICH (200 calories) --->>> I would say do Oatmeal (carb), Cottage Cheese (protein and some fat)

MORNING GRANOLA SNACK BAR (200 calories) -->> Go with Apple (carb/fiber) some nuts (fat and protein), still around 200 calories

LUNCH (usually a healthy choice as I can't leave work) - (450 calories) --> Pack lunch the night before. Grilled chkn breast, 1 cup of broccoli, 1/4 cup of rice or small sweet potatoe

AFTERNOON SNACK BAR + FRUIT (300 calories) -->> Get some natural P.Butter and some fruit (apple again?)
    DINNER (varies) - (800 calories) --> Do a lean cut of meat (beef, chkn) or fish (salmon, tilapia, tuna), 1 cup of broccoli, and another small amt of carbs again (potato or rice).

Stop the aerobic stuff so much 1 - 3 days a week doing some walking for about 20 min is fine.
    Add in more weights. Hit that iron. Bench Press, Dead lifts, Squats, Chin-ups (or lat pull-downs)
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Oh, and as others have noted. WATER!!!!!
  • lisajsund
    lisajsund Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    What's your Basal Metabolic Rate? As far as I'm aware, most men shouldn't be eating less than 1800 calories a day, pending weight loss goals. For women, it's 1400, and I know a lot of people on here that are way below these numbers.
  • hobobba
    Options
    Your sodium looks high to me and I'm sure the 4 pieces of Pizza Hut pizza didn't help matters. Sept. 5th wasn't a very good day either and you ate almost 4x the recommended sodium and over double the grams of fat you were supposed to have. It looks like you're eating a lot of high calorie, high fat, high sodium things. You should aim for lower throughout the whole day.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options

^^ Read this. I was amazed when I bought a digital food scale at how inaccurately I was recording.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options

^^ Read this. I was amazed when I bought a digital food scale at how inaccurately I was recording.

This.

Also, I stopped eating as much added sugar as possible. I also don't skip meals, I eat 6 small meals throughout the day, I drink 8-12 cups water a day, etc.

It isn't just about calories, it's about all the foods. ALL THE FOODS. And your macros are very important to being successful imo.
  • jrhm
    jrhm Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Be sure you are eating your full calorie amount (a little under is ok, but not a lot under continuously - you body will think you are going into starvation mode and hold onto all the little fat buggers it can get a hold of.
  • Krista916
    Options
    I think your calories may be OK at 1900 but you definitely need to cut back on the processed stuff and have more whole grains, lean proteins and veggies.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    I think your calories may be OK at 1900 but you definitely need to cut back on the processed stuff and have more whole grains, lean proteins and veggies.

+1
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    There are dozens of reasons why you are seeing a gain instead of a loss, especially when you are only talking about a window of a month. (Yes, TV shows like the biggest loser make it look easy. It however, seldom is it quite that easy.) Different times of day, good day/ bad day, maybe [hopefully] you are burning fat and building muscle.

I would say listen to some of the advice, or suggestions on tracking and diet. (But at the same time, if you cheat, own up to it, few if any of us are perfect, we just keep getting up and keep pushing.) There are a lot of people out here who have had great success, I know I am still learning myself. Success is not a destination, it is a journey.

My thoughts are this; I would suggest weighting in once a week same place and time, start with also taking basic measurements about once a month, and also see if you gym has a body fat scale. (Body fat is an estimate, but it certainly helps motivate me.) This way if it does have to do with some of the other factors, you will see it, and it will help you make better decisions going forward.
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Hmmm - I thought I was doing good with food. Used to eat about 5000 calories a day. Now I am eating 1950 or less a day. I thought 1500 was unhealthy - some people said my 1950 is too low.......

I wasn't going to eat my exercise calories but someone on another post said I am supposed too! Uggg.

Breakfast is always a WEIGHT LOSS SHAKE (unless it's a random weekend as we go out for breakfast but that is rare).
    Two snack bars throughout day to control hunger.
    Lunch is always a frozen meal - I can't leave the office for lunch and have no time to cook and pack my own lunch to take.
    Dinner - this is random - my fiance is not trying to lose weight so we eat whatever but I try to control my portions of these items.

I input food based on the calories listed on the packaging OR on the recipe OR from the nutritional info at the place I am eating or their website. That is about as accurate as I can get.

You don't see a lot of GENERIC CHEESEBURGERS (was stuck at hospital menu) or PIZZA (birthday party). For the most part I always stay under my calories and eat pretty well.

I will try to do better though!

I would really try to eliminate the prepackaged food, it's so high in sodium. I don't have much time to pack a lunch either so I try to prepackage some things. eg. On Sunday I will take snack bags and do individual portions of baby carrots, celery. Oatmeal packets work well for a quick lunch too.
  • christyfurr
    Options
    Initial weight measurements may go up when a dieter begins a weight loss and muscle building routine. It is more motivational and less frustrating to stay off of scales for several weeks. When dieters weight themselves every day, the fluctuation in weight may cause frustration, and he may quit. Realize that muscle weighs more than fat, and the initial change in the body may be a slight weight gain before the fat is burned.
  • glheureux56
    Options
    what I would suggest (and it is just a suggestion) is to limit your carbohydrates to no more than 180 per day (I try to limit mine to 150). If you limit your carbs, then the calories will be lower -- the problem I had was getting a minimum of 1200 calories to which Ill eat a broiled chicken breast or a couple hard boiled eggs to raise my calories. Unfortunately all the food that tastes good - bread, pasta, pizza is loaded with carbs. I havent had a sandwich in a year. I just have to plan my meals better and plan for a meal that is higher carb by reducing carbs earlier in the day. I dont know it this will work for you, but it is the method that I use. Also, make sure that you get 8 glasses of water a day (something I need improvement with).

-- Guy --
  • theguy12
    Options
    My BMR is 2378. I am shooting for 1950 calories per day. Maybe I should lower that to 1850.

I will start logging my water - I drink about 50 oz's a day right now. Just need to log it.

I normally only weigh myself on Fridays. Might move to once every two weeks instead or something. Maybe I should get a BMI SCALE so I can test body mass instead of weight.

When I cheat you see it in my diary - those are the days I go way over on calories and they are there - usually the weekends when I am sitting around with friends watching games, heading out to lunch, etc
  • MityMax96
    Options
    My BMR is 2378. I am shooting for 1950 calories per day. Maybe I should lower that to 1850.

I will start logging my water - I drink about 50 oz's a day right now. Just need to log it.

I normally only weigh myself on Fridays. Might move to once every two weeks instead or something. Maybe I should get a BMI SCALE so I can test body mass instead of weight.

When I cheat you see it in my diary - those are the days I go way over on calories and they are there - usually the weekends when I am sitting around with friends watching games, heading out to lunch, etc

1850 - 1900 sounds fine then.

If you know that on the weekend, that you will be falling outside of your diet plan, then plan ahead and have food ready to go.......this is where you will need to work on your will power.

But also, the processed foods, you need to limit that......get foods as close to their natural state as possible.
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Does THC in THCguy refer to Marijuana? It is nearly impossible to lose while smoking. Just asking, please do not take offense. I am not anti pot at all.

This is a lie. THC doesnt make you gain weight. Anyways...

I have some suggestions:

Breakfast: Lose the weight loss shake

Try some of these instead
    - home made egg sandwich, 1 egg, 1 slice cheese, whole grain bread or english muffin, and canadian bacon if you want some extra protein
    - organic whole grain oatmeal with honey or PB2 (powdered all natural peanut butter)
    - fruit and yogurt parfait (greek yogurt, granola, fruit)
    ALL of these home made, can be made in advanced except for the oatmeal, but they sell "raw organic" oatmeal that come in packets that you can heat up in 2 minutes

Lunch: PACK A LUNCH FROM HOME!
    How about a sandwich made with whole grain bread, slice of cheese, choice of meat, lettuce, tomato, light mayo or mustard
    - you can also make wraps, or pitas
    tuna is a great weight loss food with lots of protein, I like to use a can of tuna, 1 tbs light mayo, and hot sauce! then put it in whatever bread you chose wrap/sandwich/pita etc

Snacks: nuts, granola bars, yogurts, fruit, veggies & hummus

Dinner:
    cook meals at home with your partner

chicken with veggies, eggplant parm, home made pizzas, salmon with veggies, quinoa is a great grain to have as a side, home made burritos, you can make home made pastas with whole grains, make your own pasta sauce....

WATER WATER WATER WATER - I would recommend to have at least 10, 8oz cups a day! Try carrying a large water bottle with you all day so you remember to fill it up!

I have tons of other ideas if you want help! Definitely try to lower sodium intake and up protein and fiber those help you feel full longer and build muscle. I will add you to my friends list and you can check out my diary!
  • JagsJones
    JagsJones Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This is the best comment on here. This is very true!
  • theguy12
    Options
    Are these good goals for fat, sodium, etc - or should I adjust them?

Your Daily Goal

calories 1,970

carbs - 271

fat - 66

protien - 74

sodium - 2,500

sugar - 39
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Those are decent goals...

I might would shoot for 200 - 250 for carbs
    50 - 60 for fat
    and whatever your body weight is in protein.
    So if you are 200 lbs, then 200 gr of protein.

But important.
    HIT THE WEIGHTS. :wink: