poor mans low calorie meal options

Options

Replies

• devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    Eggs, dried beans, last chance fresh produce/bakery goods, frozen veggies plus rice/pastas.

We have Aldi's and Save A Lots in my ares -- definitely check out any discount grocers in your area and keep an eye on sale papers!
  • yarinathan
    yarinathan Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Ok so my fiancé and I are planning our wedding and we had a huge financial snag this month so are looking to spend way less on groceries. So my question is i need ideas for cheap meals but good meals and meals that do not include a lot of ingredients as they cost to much to buy if we don't already have. Examples that work well with us. Cheeseburgers, grilled chicken, tacos, sandwiches. Obviously these are NOT the things that we would choose to eat but wanted to provide examples of how "easy" i am looking it may sound like a lame question but i really can't think of meal ideas. Now comes the even harder part. We do not eat seafood of any kind so fish is out. Even if you know of prepackaged/processed BUT lower in calorie ideas that would be great.

Rice, pasta, dry beans, whole chickens, ground beef etc can all be had for relatively cheap and easy to make dishes with

With the ground beef--- brown up the meat... drain the fat... return to the pan...season with salt and pepper to taste...add some mixed veggies and bam you have a nice quick, easy and healthy meal.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    I get $1 frozen vegetables at Kroger. They have lots of different kinds. I also buy a lot of ground turkey and brown it with a little seasoning. It's great for portioning and you can make A LOT of different types of meals with it! Eggs are packed in protein and reasonably cheap as well.

I agree ^^ many times frozen vegetables are cheap and really versatile. You can make soups, stews, casseroles, or just steam them for a side dish. Look for meat sales, our grocery store will most of the time have Family Pack meats on sale cheaper than the individual packs, we just separate them in smaller ziploc bags and freeze whatever we dont need right away. OR you could use the meat to make multiple meals through out the week. We eat tons of Eggs at our house and they are cheap also.
  • Sarahndipity30
    Sarahndipity30 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Whole grain tortillas, cans of refried or black beans (cheap!) cut up some red/yellow peppers, hot sauce is great on everything! canned tomato (drain it!) hummus, i eat these veggie style fajitas alot. they are so yummy and super easy to make. you can even add chicken if u want
  • Lifelink
    Lifelink Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    This thread is relevant to my interest. Lots of good suggestions. Bumping for later referencing.
  • Heaven2017
    Heaven2017 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
  • Pelly57
    Pelly57 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    The dry beans are the best idea. We ate a lot of these in our broke days. To make them super simple and yummy, soak over night, the next morning, rinse, add to a crockpot with some onion, garlic (and my secret ingredient Chicken Tomato boullion), cover with water set it on low. come back at the end of the day and you have a big pot of yummy beans. Use these with torillas, rice, taco salad, throw an egg on top, top with fresh tomatoes and shredded cheese, add a little more broth for soup, you can do a lot with beans and they don't come any cheaper.
  • stacyhaddenham
    stacyhaddenham Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I make split pea soup for about 80 cents to fill my crock pot. Recipe is in my blog. If you are looking to only use what you have in your cupboards it would help to have some idea of what that is. Otherwise for $200 a month I feed 2 large adults a total of about 4500 calories a day.
  • jerseygirlmaggie
    jerseygirlmaggie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Bumping for reading later. Great info and suggestions!
  • missymakayla
    missymakayla Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Home made soups, eggs, baked potato w/ steamed broccoli, topped with whatever you like.You can make pizza's made from wheat English muffins, sauce, and top with whatever you like.. Use a crockpot if you really don't like cooking much...
  • EmmaJean7
    EmmaJean7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Check out budgetbytes.com. She has LOTS of really great recipes that are very easy to make and many are low cal/healty and can be modified to fit what you have around the house or what you can get your hands on. We've eaten several of her recipes and every one has been wonderful! Check it out :)

*** Edit to add: as implied by the name of the site everything is budget friendly and has a cost breakdown per meal & serving! Good Luck!

Thanks! This website looks very informative!
  • karajulie
    karajulie Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Bump. I checked it out real quick......looks good. Will definitely revisit =)
  • salzej01
    salzej01 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • chelseasmithhart
    Options
    I agree with the leftovers comment. Here are some casseroles I make because they are inexpensive and leave leftovers. My mother cooked these and we loved them as children.

Chicken and Rice Casserole
    3 thawed chicken breasts $4
    2 cups brown rice or white rice $1.50
    2 cans cream of mushroom soup $3
    2 cups water (we use the empty soup can) free
    1 small can sweet peas drained or 1/2 bag frozen peas (also can use diced celery or carrots if you have them) $1
    Seasoning of choice

Mix the rice, soup, water, and veggie in a 9X13 casserole dish. Lay the chicken breasts into it. Sprinkle the top with some seasoning (paprika or seasoned salt is good). Cover with tinfoil and bake at 375 degrees F for 70 minutes if using brown rice or 55 minutes if using white rice. Take it out and test the rice (white rice cooks faster than brown) and make sure the chicken is done. This feeds 2 people 3 or 4 times for around $10. We usually eat this with green beans on the side.

Easy Chicken Spaghetti
    3 chicken breasts $4
    1 small package spaghetti noodles or 1/2 or a larger package $2
    1 can rotel $1.50
    1 can cream of chicken soup $1.50
    Can or frozen sweet peas or corn drained $1
    8 oz sharp cheddar $2.50

Boil the chicken breasts in salted water until cooked. Take the chicken out of the water and boil the noodles in the same water. Cut up the chicken into bite size pieces. Mix the rotel, soup, peas, and chicken in a 9X13 casserole dish. When the noodles are cooked, drain them and add them to the chicken mix and stir well. Cover this with the cheese. Bake covered at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes. Take the foil off and bake for another 5 minutes to brown the cheese. Makes 6-8 servings.

When we make tacos or fajitas, I will use the leftover tortillas to make a kind of quesadilla. Put some cheese and black beans between two tortillas and cook in a non-stick skillet like a grilled cheese. Cut into triangles and dip into salsa or sour cream.

And an egg and cheese sandwhich with a little jelly is not so bad either.
  • emc916
    Options
    Check out budgetbytes.com. She has LOTS of really great recipes that are very easy to make and many are low cal/healty and can be modified to fit what you have around the house or what you can get your hands on. We've eaten several of her recipes and every one has been wonderful! Check it out :)

*** Edit to add: as implied by the name of the site everything is budget friendly and has a cost breakdown per meal & serving! Good Luck!

budgetbytes.com
    Awesome site. Love the breakdowns on cost. Thanks!
  • Missi_Mae
    Options
    OMG you guys are amazing. Thank you sooo much for all of these suggestions. These are going to be a great help as i re-start my journey ( grocery shopping tonight) new journey starts tomorrow. Thank you all again!!:happy:
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I'm on a super tight budget right now, so I have to be really careful not to get carried away with my grocery spending. The most important thing is that you plan your meals and your grocery list before you go shopping. Not only will it help you save money and waste less food, but it will mean you're always prepared to make a healthy meal and are less likely to be tempted by takeout or fast food. Check your store's sale flyer (most stores have them online) so you can try to plan meals around whatever lean proteins are on sale and staples like rice or beans that you already have on hand or can buy without spending too much. Try to shop for what fruits and vegetables are in season, or else things you know will keep well. Eggs, yogurt, or oatmeal are great affordable breakfasts, and try to repurpose leftovers for lunches.

For example, on the weekend maybe I'll grill up some chicken breasts and veggies and make a pot of couscous or quinoa. Then for lunches throughout the week, I'll mix those ingredients and add some raw veggies. How I keep myself from getting sick of eating the same thing is that I try to add a little something different every day--a few slices of lime one day, maybe a few tablespoons of salsa on another day or a splash of Italian dressing. It takes time on the weekend, but I love not having to worry about meal prep again until I make my grocery list the next Thursday.

Also try not to be too brand loyal. For most things, I try to buy the brand that has the best price. Fage is my favorite yogurt, but it's regularly $1.49 at my store. I can't afford that most weeks, since I eat a lot of yogurt, but my store usually has some kind of Greek yogurt 10 for $10. When Fage is the one on sale, I buy a lot, but other weeks I buy just what I'll need for that week.

Planning my meals like this has gotten a lot easier. Even when I'm through the tough times I'm going through now, I think I'll probably stick to what I'm doing. It's really forced me to be more mindful of what I'm eating, which I think is helping me in the long run.
  • amaysngrace
    amaysngrace Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Butternut squash soup: Ingredients are 1 butternut squash, 1 small Vidalia onion diced, 3 jalapeno peppers diced and seeded, if you like spice, 8 ounces of heavy cream, and 4 ounces of skim milk or 1% milk, 2 tablespoons of butter or coconut oil, 1 tablespoon of fresh ginger grated, 1 can of chicken broth, low sodium, and salt and pepper. You can rinse the squash off, cut it in half, seed it and place it in a glass lasagna dish, submerged in some water, slightly covering the top of the squash. Put it in a preheated oven for about 45 minutes on 350 degrees. Then, take it out, let it cool some, then remove the skin.

Meanwhile, put 2 tablespoons of butter or coconut oil in a large pan or dutch oven until melted on medium heat. Then throw in your diced jalapenos, diced onion, and grated ginger root. Let it cook and sauté in the oil for about 7 minutes. Then add the squash and chicken broth. Then stir it all together. Then add the cream and the milk. Stir it together once more and remove from the heat. Then add in about a teaspoon of kosher salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Stir. Then, add it to the blender, filling the blender half full and covering the top with a towel. Pulse it until it has a smooth consistency. Serve it in a bowl. Garnish with croutons, thyme, and parsley.

This is a quick filling meal, inexpensive, because you can always use evaporated milk or coconut milk, if you don't want to use the heavy cream of 1%milk, just as long as it is milk. You can omit the jalapenos if you want, but it gives it a nice kick and the coconut oil, gives it a Thai flare, but coconut milk probably would do just as well too. Do not forget the ginger root!

Another one is Mexican Casserole: Ingredients: 1 pound lean ground beef, 2 cups salsa, 1-16oz can of dark red kidney beans, drained, 1-1/2 cups of tortilla chips crusted, 2 soft tortillas, 2 cups of sour cream, greek yogurt or plain yogurt., 1 (2ounce can of black olives drained, 1/2 cup chopped green onions, 1/2 cup diced tomatoes, 2 cups of shredded cheese.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook ground beef. Stir in salsa, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed. Stir in beans and heat through. Spray a 9X13 baking dish with cooking spray. Place 2 tortilla wraps at the bottom of the dish, then spread crusted tortilla chips in the dish on top of tortilla wraps. The wraps should be side by side of each other. Then spoon beef mixture over chips, spread sour cream over beef, sprinkle olives, green onions, and tomato over sour cream. Top with cheddar cheese or Mexican-style cheese. Bake in preheated oven until cheese is melted, 30 minutes or less.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Missi_Mae
    Options
    Thank you for the continued suggestions. This will be a great help in my journey!