New to this and wondering if I am doing it right?

Options
Been doing MFP for just a few weeks and really have been more committed than I thought I would be. My question though is am I doing this right to get me the biggest benefit?

I know that I need to exercise more and have a elliptical/recumbant bike on it's way. Just really open for any suggestions as far as food intake, meals, etc.

Replies

• lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    I found the calories on MFP to be about right but don't eat the exercise calories or very few of them. With the exercise I made the mistake of working too hard, until I brought a Heart Rate Monitor by exercising a a lower heart rate 120-125bpm I can exercise for longer and burn far more fat don't understand all the theory but it works.

48508387.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Moslty it's calorie deficit to lose weight ..... and exercise for fitness.

Cardio will help build endurance (yes it burns some calories) .... and strength training for strong bones (and manitaining) muscle while dieting (yes it too burns some calories).

For me, exercise has to be part of the "lifestyle change" ...... I can eat less to lose weight, but maintaining a weight loss would be really tough without exercise.

I do eat ALL my exercise calories back (because MFP has the calorie deficit built in BEFORE exercise) .... keeping lean muscle is more imporant to me than losing weight quickly. I'm older and need to hold onto every shred of exisitng muscle mass I can. Losing weight quickly often sacrifices muscle.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Two things. One, you've gone over your calories more often than not. Try to reign that in, or consider increasing your goal intake if it is too low for you. You will lose weight more slowly, but that isn't a bad thing. Second, your protein intake is really low. MFP's recommendation is too low to begin with, and you rarely meet even that. The problem with too little protein is that you will lose more muscle mass than if you consumed an adequate amount (at least 1 g per kg bodyweight). Maintaining muscle mass will help you achieve a better physique when you are done with fat loss.

As far as exercise goes, do what you can. Learn to like being a little uncomfortable. Don't exceed your limits, but give them a little push every week. Consider adding strength training if you can.
  • tanners63
    tanners63 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    How do I know what to increase my protein to? Just starting to figure out what foods are good to eat when etc. Doing a lot of research, maybe too much?
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Calculate your weight in kilograms, and eat that much protein in grams per day. Chicken breast is a protein-packed low-calorie source, and you can always supplement with whey protein powder. You can make shakes with it, or add it to foods like oatmeal or yogurt.
  • TeaBea
    Options
    How do I know what to increase my protein to? Just starting to figure out what foods are good to eat when etc. Doing a lot of research, maybe too much?

Increasing protein percents, decreasing carb percents .... it depends upon your goals. Some people on MFP have really high fat diets .... it just works for them. There isn't a one size fits all solution. Try hard to hit your numbers for a while. When you get that down, then tweak them a bit and see how you feel.

I don't think (not an expert) ..... that just increasing my protein will help protect muscle that I'm not using. I increased my protein a bit, but added resistance training to the mix.
  • tanners63
    Options
    So am I suppose to hit all the goals it sets for me? If so I will be so over on some and not others. I have been told to go barely over on my calories and also to stay under. To eat back all the calories I burn and not to. I am really confused on this. Just want to do it the right, healthy way. I understand it will take time but I also want it to be healthy.
  • NeverCatchYourBreath
    Options
    I found the calories on MFP to be about right but don't eat the exercise calories or very few of them. With the exercise I made the mistake of working too hard, until I brought a Heart Rate Monitor by exercising a a lower heart rate 120-125bpm I can exercise for longer and burn far more fat don't understand all the theory but it works.

48508387.png

The "fat burning zone" this person is referring to is a myth. Just saying. 20 minutes of high intensity exercise is more effective at burning fat than an hour of walking or slow jogging.

My biggest suggestion is to use a food scale in order to be accurate with your food measurements when you log. And to create your own recipies on here rather than trying to find a "homemade" type recipie in the search box.

Also, be careful with MFP calorie goals, it can be iffy. If you feel as though it's not enough you're probably right. Check out scoobysworkshop.com or fitnessfrog.com and play around with the calculators, you can compare that to MFP or you can change your MFP goals to what you feel is more appropriate.
  • NeverCatchYourBreath
    Options
    So am I suppose to hit all the goals it sets for me? If so I will be so over on some and not others. I have been told to go barely over on my calories and also to stay under. To eat back all the calories I burn and not to. I am really confused on this. Just want to do it the right, healthy way. I understand it will take time but I also want it to be healthy.

You will not be able to find a straight answer to your questions here because everyone has different opinions. Some people believe in "IIFIYM" (if it fits in your macros) which means if you can fit that food into your alloted amount of carbs, fat, protein then go ahead and eat it. Some people believe in clean eating which is only eating whole/raw foods, not boxed, processed foods.

Some people believe in eating back exercise cals, some don't. Some people swear by only eating 1,200 calories a day and some say you need to "eat more to weigh less."

My advice is try one method and if it works for you - great!!! And if it doesn't, try another.

Example: If you are eating 1,200 calories of whatever you want and you feel miserable and tired, sluggish and ill. I'd suggest trying to start eating more nutrient rich foods. If you still feel bad, take your calories up by a couple hundred.
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I have been told to go barely over on my calories and also to stay under. To eat back all the calories I burn and not to. I am really confused on this. Just want to do it the right, healthy way. I understand it will take time but I also want it to be healthy.

I personally see my calorie goal as an actually goal. A goal to meet NOT to fall short of. So I always at least eat my net calorie goal and usually a bit more (I don’t log my weight lifting calories since it’s too hard to guess, but I always eat about 100-200 more than my goal those days). Nothing annoys me more than when someone nets below their goal and everyone posts all "yay! Way to go!” and then I look and they only ate 800 calories.

I find what seems to work when unsure is to hit your calorie goal first and let that be the most important then hit your macros for protein and fat as much as you can. Also, I do the MFP method (I did the TDEE method, but I don’t know. MFP makes it easy and I’ve found more success with it) so I do eat back my exercise calories to AT LEAST net my BMR.
  • dlcam61
    dlcam61 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    MFP rarely uses the correct numbers in my honest opinion. I started off with trying to follow it religiously and lost weight but was very tired. There's no magic behind weight loss, it's caloric deficit and exercise. But I will say that I am personally carbohydrate sensitive & I won't lose as much, if at all, when I carb load.

This forum post helped me out a lot:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

Too much of a deficit can work against you, and I would recommend drinking more water, tracking your sugars & try to get 30-60 min of exercise 4 - 6 times per week. I started off slowly walking on a treadmill & now I'm a Zumba instructor. I also lift weights because the more lean muscle mass you have the higher your metabolism will be. Plus it makes you look better :flowerforyou:

Feel free to add if you want :) Good job on committing to a healthier lifestyle!
  • TeaBea
    Options

MFP as designed gave you a calorie deficit BEFORE exercise. That means people who can't/won't exercise ..... still lose weight. When you add exercise the calorie deficit becomes larger. Yes, a larger deficit is quicker weight loss. When people lose weight too quickly .... they tend to lose fat AND muscle.

*The problem with eating calories back .... calorie burns can be over stated ....people use active as activity level and then add every bit of exercise as well (that's like double counting) ....you have to use the system awhile to learn it as you go. Sometimes people double count .... and then complain MFP doesn't work.... or don't measure food and complain that MFP doesn't work. This is trial and error.

Try for now to hit your macros the way they are ..... protein, fat, carbs. As you start to hit (learn to hit) your macros .... you can make changes.

Sugar is tracked in MFP .... I choose to ignore that number & track fiber instead..... this is a personalized choice. If you are diabetic.... you will want to track sugar and lower your carbs as well. If you are a body builder you will want to increase protein (a lot) ...... people doing a paleo diet will increase fat. There is no one size fits all. Work with it and make changes along the way.
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Also, be careful with MFP calorie goals, it can be iffy. If you feel as though it's not enough you're probably right. Check out scoobysworkshop.com or fitnessfrog.com and play around with the calculators, you can compare that to MFP or you can change your MFP goals to what you feel is more appropriate.

Just some food for thought, I’ve actually found the MFP goals to be exactly the same (within 20 calories for me at least) as the websites you quoted so long as you’re accurate with your activity level in MFP.
  • tanners63
    Options
    You guys are awesome! It feels good to know I am not the village idiot when it comes to this. I sure was starting to wonder. I will do of these things and see if they make a difference. I have figured out how to do my own recipes which is great and I love the scanner part of it. I have been pretty faithful in logging even if it hasn't been the best outcome and plan on doing more exercise. I truly appreciate all the support. Makes me hopeful!!
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options

48508387.png

The "fat burning zone" this person is referring to is a myth. Just saying. 20 minutes of high intensity exercise is more effective at burning fat than an hour of walking or slow jogging.

My biggest suggestion is to use a food scale in order to be accurate with your food measurements when you log. And to create your own recipies on here rather than trying to find a "homemade" type recipie in the search box.

So glad to be informed by such an expert, most experts across the world disagree on this but you have the answer that no one else it seems can properly agree on.

I make judgements for myself based on facts, so IMHO

1) Steady state cardio is useful when aiming to create a caloric deficit because it offers an opportunity to burn more calories without increasing intensity, and delaying recovery from heavy weight training workouts.

2) During high intensity efforts, the body begins to metabolize carbohydrates instead, preferring their speed of breakdown to fuel higher levels of exertion. This fuel preference is also dictated by the availability of oxygen which is required for fat utilization.

I agree the fat burning zone at 50-60% is way low for me I struggle to work at that rate without falling asleep so work out at 80-85% of my MHR for at least two hours daily where previously I was working above my MHR up to 190 and failing. I also include bursts or HIT in my routines I take what works for me without dismissing any possibility until I can prove it false or a myth.

Please publish all your evidence so that the whole of mankind can benefit!