Bread bloat :-(

Options
Urgh - I kinda knew that bread made me bloaty but I hadn't realised how badly until today.

Felt fantastic this morning, loads slimmer, then ate a sandwich for lunch and now I look about 5 months pregnant!

I guess it's bye bye bread for me.

Does anyone else suffer from this? Or have foods which do a similar thing?

Replies

• TINAHUNTER1969
    TINAHUNTER1969 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Try different types of bread to see if it makes a difference.

I haven't given up bread and still losing weight - although I try to eat it only once a day now!

Hope you find something suitable x
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I do. I just gave it up. I'll occasionally have some, but 90% of the time I am wheat (and grain) free. I love it.
  • suerop
    suerop Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yes, and It's horrible. It's the wheat. Read the book "Wheat Belly" and you'll understand what today's wheat is doing to us as a nation. The wheat today is not anything like the wheat from, say, the 1950's. It's been processed, reprocessed, and over processed. It's been changed so that it will yield a bigger crop, and will not rot so it has a longer shelf life. There's no real wheat left in it. One slice of bread does the same thing to your pancreas (causes it to release insulin at a high rate) as a Snickers bar. And at least the Snickers bar has real peanuts in it. If you keep forcing your pancreas to produce insulin at that pace, it becomes weary, and starts to move you in the direction of Type 2 Diabetes. Start to look for Gluten Free items. And if you still want a sandwich, wrap your sandwich meat in one or two big Romaine lettuce leaves. Nice crunch without the bread and carbs. Jimmy John's call it their "Unwich." This works for tuna salad, chicken salad, Seafood salad, and most other good fixin's. Look at MyFitnessPal's All Recipes, you'll find some yummy ones. Really. Good luck. Stop the bloat!
  • redd_87
    redd_87 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yup, the same thing happens to me! Bread, dairy, and broccoli are the main culprits for me, and of course I enjoy(ed) all of them very much. Dairy is probably the worst, as I can eat one ice cream scoop and a short time after I feel bloated as well as look like I'm preggers. So, I cut out all three :( I do allow myself my one greek yogurt daily, and that doesn't seem to have too big of an impact, but I'm looking into a soy or almond based greek yogurt to switch to so I can cut it out completely. Cutting out my breads was difficult at first, but now I don't even notice, although saying no to a cookie when it is chillin in plain view is quite a challenge... It might be hard to find lunches that don't involve bread, so my main go-to lunches are lettuce wraps, salads, or veggie burgers without the bun. I've noticed that I don't feel gassy and bloated all day when I cut these out, so it does make me feel more comfortable and slimmer throughout the day, which is always nice. Hope this helps! :)
  • oferb1
    Options
    Yes, and It's horrible. It's the wheat. Read the book "Wheat Belly" and you'll understand what today's wheat is doing to us as a nation. The wheat today is not anything like the wheat from, say, the 1950's. It's been processed, reprocessed, and over processed. It's been changed so that it will yield a bigger crop, and will not rot so it has a longer shelf life. There's no real wheat left in it. One slice of bread does the same thing to your pancreas (causes it to release insulin at a high rate) as a Snickers bar. And at least the Snickers bar has real peanuts in it. If you keep forcing your pancreas to produce insulin at that pace, it becomes weary, and starts to move you in the direction of Type 2 Diabetes. Start to look for Gluten Free items. And if you still want a sandwich, wrap your sandwich meat in one or two big Romaine lettuce leaves. Nice crunch without the bread and carbs. Jimmy John's call it their "Unwich." This works for tuna salad, chicken salad, Seafood salad, and most other good fixin's. Look at MyFitnessPal's All Recipes, you'll find some yummy ones. Really. Good luck. Stop the bloat!

I second that... modern wheat has been mutated using exposure to radiation and a powerful poison (just google it...) I have been trying to cut it, along with most other grains
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    zomg wheat belly!!!
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    oh geez
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

I second that... modern wheat has been mutated using exposure to radiation and a powerful poison (just google it...) I have been trying to cut it, along with most other grains

They can't put anything on the internet that isn't true!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    That's how I feel about beer. Yet I keep drinking it.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Unless you are allergic to gluten, bread does not cause any horrible bloating..atleast personally thats my experience.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    That's how I feel about beer. Yet I keep drinking it.

I am always a fan of a good wheat beer
  • oferb1
    Options

They can also write books about it, and that doesn't make it true, or even do "research" - I have no idea if you even had a look at modern wheat compared to einkorn wheat, you can immediately tell the difference between two. Einkorn is an ancient breed of wheat, einkorn has 2 sets of chromosomes as apposed to 4 in modern wheat due to cross species hybridization.
    But the important part is that einkorn wheat is naturally low in gluten as well as gliadin free (which some doctor claims is the root of all evil - so he can sell more books)

Like everything, google is a tool not an answer, read, apply common sense, and come to your own conclusions... does it make sense that modified plants (even if they are just "cross bread"s, and not mutated due to radiation, etc.) can have consequences? do you trust the billion dollar industry to be forthcoming with its faults? etc.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    :laugh:

:drinker:

I love bread and carbs in general. Sure, I might feel a little bloated now and again, but lots of different foods can do that to me. I just learn how my body reacts to different things and avoid them if I feel the need to.

That being said, I'm having a peanut butter sandwich before the gym later. Nom.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    My guess is that a BM is needed.
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Urgh - I kinda knew that bread made me bloaty but I hadn't realised how badly until today.

Felt fantastic this morning, loads slimmer, then ate a sandwich for lunch and now I look about 5 months pregnant!

I guess it's bye bye bread for me.

Does anyone else suffer from this? Or have foods which do a similar thing?

Yes, I used to LOVE eating bread, toast and pastries but I feel a lot better if I stick to wraps, Mountain bread (very very thin wraps), rye bread (very dense, heavy brown bread) or wholemeal tortillas. I notice now if I eat buns or bread I get bloated, tummy pains and farty.

Pasta makes me kind of the same. I am pretty much guaranteed to fall asleep (farty, bloaty & with tummy pains) within 30mins of eating pasta so I no longer bother with it.
  • ea101367
    ea101367 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I bloat and hold water after eating bread. :sad: I've cut my bread intake back to once a day and whole grains only. I still get bloated but......:heart: my breads!!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

They can also write books about it, and that doesn't make it true, or even do "research" - I have no idea if you even had a look at modern wheat compared to einkorn wheat, you can immediately tell the difference between two. Einkorn is an ancient breed of wheat, einkorn has 2 sets of chromosomes as apposed to 4 in modern wheat due to cross species hybridization.
    But the important part is that einkorn wheat is naturally low in gluten as well as gliadin free (which some doctor claims is the root of all evil - so he can sell more books)

Like everything, google is a tool not an answer, read, apply common sense, and come to your own conclusions... does it make sense that modified plants (even if they are just "cross bread"s, and not mutated due to radiation, etc.) can have consequences? do you trust the billion dollar industry to be forthcoming with its faults? etc.

Yep... you're right. They can write books and do "research" and that still doesn't make it true.

Just like you accuse the bread manufacturing industry of defrauding us to make money, the people who wrote that book are just as capable of manufacturing bogus information with shock value and fear-mongering to get you to buy their book.

But you are welcome to believe what you want to believe. Personally, I know that people with gluten allergies will have issues with eating bread. Fortunately for me, I don't have a gluten allergy... so yay, I don't have to eliminate a food group from my diet to feel like I'm doing something positive for my health. I can just monitor my portions, watch my macronutrient and micronutrient intake, and get some exercise.

It's great not to be a special snowflake! :drinker:
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    That's why I try not to eat any bread. I get my fibre from eating a lot of oats/oat cakes, and for lunch I have wholegrain ryvita's

Try having wraps for lunch/soups/stews/salad's/sushi etc

Carbs are a nightmare for bloating ... Urgh!!
  • zenalasca
    zenalasca Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Surely just a sandwich won't make you feel bloated?

It's true though. Whenever I have lots of bread (at least 4 slices mind you, or other carbs as well) I get bloating/gas and it is awful XD