Ectomorphic Hard Gainer

Options
Hi all, this site seems to emphasize weight loss however I find the food nutrition data absolutely essential for indicating what foods I should be targeting to gain weight. I will try to be helpful to others in this forum and if there are any other hard gainers out there, holla at me to share info and knowledge.

Replies

• jkirby79
    jkirby79 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hey there. I originally started using MFP to lose weight after I'd put on probably 20-25 pounds during grad school through fast food eating. I don't think anyone would have considered me "overweight" but I was definitely skinny fat. So I lost the weight and now I'm trying to put on around 10-15 pounds of muscle and get good definition. I've been strength training for at least 3-4 months and trying to eat a surplus with proper protein intake but I have not gained any weight. It's frustrating. Also, the definition in my muscles doesn't appear to have changed much either. I have definitely gained strength in reps and weight, I'm just not seeing it very much.

I'd like to hear about your journey and if you have any ideas for mine. Thanks!
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I don't think that i'm an ectomorph or hard gainer, but i've been going through a calorie deficit to burn fat and get leaner. So far so good, but i will be looking to increase my calories and put on mass very soon. I plan on upping carbs and fats, and calories by about 300 over my maintenance. Maybe 500 over maintenance, but i'll start with 300. Not necessarily looking to put on any specific amount of weight, just looking to increase size. Measuring tape over scale. My biggest obstacle is getting adequate rest because my job is physical, and i have to find a way to hit the weights hard every time or it's for nothing.

Feel free to add me, offer suggestions, or ask about anything.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    No such thing as hard gainers, they simply aren't eating enough

http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2009/02/im-hardgaining-ectomorph-and-stuart.html
  • HughMyrone
    Options
    No such thing as hard gainers, they simply aren't eating enough

http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2009/02/im-hardgaining-ectomorph-and-stuart.html

they aren't eating enough true but what's enough for them is way more food than a meso or endo needs soooooo hardgainer is a pretty accurate term relative to the other body types
  • Ma1keru
    Options
    Its been a while since i've been on the site but thought i'd share some of my experiences. I don't like using terms like "hard-gainer" but we do exist. I have to eat an intense amount of home cooked carbs and protein to gain any significant weight. That in tandem with training on heavier weights with fewer reps has helped. I have cut out the use of protein supplements for a while because I believe I have to get my eating habits and training correct first. My weekly food budget has sky rocketed since i've started to do this properly :/