Stupid-face gym people

Options

Replies

• ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Why are you using a smith machine in the first place?

+5 MFP points goes to you.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    LOL! Ok, you reminded me of what I don't miss about going to a bigger gym. I use my work gym which is smaller but has everything I need to get my workout done. One thing that annoys me there is that some of the guys who lift the heavy weights leave them near the weight bench or pretty much where ever they throw them down and so I'm always tripping over them when I come in to workout. Ugh!
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Why did you do your deadlifts last? Bro! C'mon bro!

I kid, I fortunately don't have any of them at my current gym but they were all over the place at 24 Hour.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should try Planet Fitness? Though, I would be annoyed too.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    We have a guy who purposefully lets out loud girlish screams every time he lifts. I don't really care about grunts, I've let them out before during particularly tough lifts.. but you can tell it's on purpose because him and his bro's giggle every time. It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't every day he does this.. you'd think the joke would get old by then right?

Then this one girl who we try to avoid followed me and my gym partner around the gym telling us that we were pressing too much on the leg press and we would blow our knees out (completely not true..) and even took a picture of us and put it on facebook without our knowledge. Even creepier is that when she took the picture we didn't even know she was there, let alone taking pictures of us! Then to put it on facebook? Weirdo.

Of course I'm far from the perfect gym goer, I've done a few things to annoy people I'm sure.. lol

I would almost die laughing if I heard a guy letting out girlish screams at the gym, but it would annoy me if it was one of my friends doing it and I was there with them.
  • Axe34
    Axe34 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    This is exactly why I bought a home gym.

I despise gym culture.*

*Yes, I know this is an overbroad generalization. But I have yet to encounter a gym where 'bro' culture doesn't slap you in the face within 2 minutes of entering.
  • This is why me = no gym. This. Very. Reason. Also the girls who (loudly) giggle like a gaggle of geese and occupy the cardio machines for an hour all the while talking and not really doing anything else. Even my YMCA got bad. But I guess they pay as well to be there so what can you do? I left, that's what I did, I now jog outside and use my bands and strength videos at home :)
  • Maybe you should try Planet Fitness? Though, I would be annoyed too.

They are there also, just in quieter form, they undercover their bro-ness!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should try Planet Fitness? Though, I would be annoyed too.

The OP was wishing for quiet. :P
  • LizL217
    LizL217 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    My pet peeve is the people who use my building's gym late at night and leave it a complete disaster when I show up at 5am. The free weights are all in the wrong order, old towels and water bottles are left on the benches, kettle bells are randomly scattered across the floor, jump ropes are on the floor, waiting for my tired self to trip on them, barbells have huge weights left on there that I struggle to remove...

Granted this probably bothers me a lot more than others because I'm kinda OCD about things being in the proper order, and I get a little workout by trying to organize everything again, but really I'd rather people just be considerate and leave things where they found them.
  • Maybe you should try Planet Fitness? Though, I would be annoyed too.

The OP was wishing for quiet. :P

Yeah, your right, but their still annoying, with their flipped up hat brims and tiny man-shirts, posing around like some damn puffed up pigeons!
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Get that here as well usually collage kids, steroid boys or something of that nature. Our gym is fairly small and i don't take there **** either. When they come up to me and ask if i am soon done. i reply with "You will know when i am done when i put my weights back" They slam weights around and just cause noise.
  • Get that here as well usually collage kids, steroid boys or something of that nature. Our gym is fairly small and i don't take there **** either. When they come up to me and ask if i am soon done. i reply with "You will know when i am done when i put my weights back" They slam weights around and just cause noise.

I don't think I would ask you when your done...I would just wait politely and try not to piss you off. I mean that as a compliment :)
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Get that here as well usually collage kids, steroid boys or something of that nature. Our gym is fairly small and i don't take there **** either. When they come up to me and ask if i am soon done. i reply with "You will know when i am done when i put my weights back" They slam weights around and just cause noise.

Also kind of obnoxious. Your answer is just an eff you. I'd hit you with the followup .. "ok, so you wanna ballpark when you'll be putting those weights back?"
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    All these gym "horror" stories and gripes make me love my gym all the more! I try to work out in the morning or early afternoon when it's mostly just the older crowd, and a few younger people like myself who don't want to deal with how busy it is in the evening.
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options

Also kind of obnoxious. Your answer is just an eff you. I'd hit you with the followup .. "ok, so you wanna ballpark when you'll be putting those weights back?"
    The point is, maybe someones a bit snarky back they might get the point, doubt it but i have had a few say, ok sorry np, then i will reply with something light hearted and funny to break an existing tension.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Am I mean if I say "get some headphones and deal with it"? There's always going to be obnoxious people who don't mesh well with you personally, just learn to ignore them.

I couldn't possibly care less what anyone is saying or doing at the gym; and we have some loud obnoxious people. I just put in my earbuds and tune them out!

Eta: I also see no problem with asking how many sets you got left. Sometimes when I see a guy on his 8th set of half-squats I will ask. If he answers snotty then I will stand there and stare him down until he leaves. *shrug* Don't hold up equipment for like 20 minutes.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

The point is, maybe someones a bit snarky back they might get the point, doubt it but i have had a few say, ok sorry np, then i will reply with something light hearted and funny to break an existing tension.

Possibly .. I'm guessing I wouldnt get the snark since I'm not walking in bro-ing it up. I get the urge to just *****-slap and dismiss the "type" of person we're talking about ... You can tell if someone's looking for data so they can optimize a set, or if they're someone asking a question just to get in your face...

Edited because that last sentence just didnt sound like english ...
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a lunk alert.
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Am I mean if I say "get some headphones and deal with it"? There's always going to be obnoxious people who don't mesh well with you personally, just learn to ignore them.

I couldn't possibly care less what anyone is saying or doing at the gym; and we have some loud obnoxious people. I just put in my earbuds and tune them out!

Eta: I also see no problem with asking how many sets you got left. Sometimes when I see a guy on his 8th set of half-squats I will ask. If he answers snotty then I will stand there and stare him down until he leaves. *shrug* Don't hold up equipment for like 20 minutes.

well like I said I do have headphones with me, but I'm trying to teach my wife proper form since she's just starting to lift heavy. Having to block out the obnoxious bros with headphones also blocks out my wife... and besides that, why should the other 100 people there have to either put up with or change their own routines because these two jagoffs can't act like adults? Noise from working out is one thing. this was over the top, unnecessary, and quite rude. And quite out of the norm for this gym. We're there a lot and most of the people we see, we see a lot. Everyone keeps to themselves for the most part (but is friendly at the same time). We're all there to work, not to bro out. There are exceptions to the level of work some people do, but we chose this location because we liked the atmosphere. Even this chit-chatty ladies sitting on machines, doing two reps at 10 lbs every five minutes between gossip aren't half as obnoxious as these guys.

BTW, when he asked the older gentleman about how many sets he had left, there was an open, unused, and identical rack right next to him. The bro could have *at least* waited till the guy put the bar on the rack before interrupting him...