8MmZq3r.jpg
    Best marketing EVER
  • robertkeane100
    Options
    Gym is fine but walking is very important
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Ermahgawd it is insane... I live in a college town so now all the frat bros are back.

Things i had said to me in the past week:
    "What are you doing with that barbell sweetie?"
    "For all that lifting your really scrawny."
    "Why did you move my *kitten* i was doing curls in that squat rack."
    "Why dont you go back on the elliptical and let me finish my set in peace."

edit: trying to find a new gym currently :ohwell:

They called you SWEETIE?????!!!!???? I'm not sure that I could be held responsible for my actions if someone said that to me at the gym.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Ermahgawd it is insane... I live in a college town so now all the frat bros are back.

They called you SWEETIE?????!!!!???? I'm not sure that I could be held responsible for my actions if someone said that to me at the gym.
    Yeah, my response would have been one of 3 things.

Stony silence and daggers from my eyes.
    "I am squatting in the curl rack."
    "Why don't you go take a flying fsck at a rolling donut?!"
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Options

Ohhhh don't worry i just implied that it looked like they were bulking... and implied that they were all lovers
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options

wow really? I'm sorry, I go to the university gym for the school I graduated from and now work for. I do SLs and have never had anything said to me like that. How rude.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

Ohhhh don't worry i just implied that it looked like they were bulking... and implied that they were all lovers
    Must be one of the benefits of age. They don't do me like that. I don't think they dare.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    During the summer it is light out later and nice weather, hot during the day, people are more active outdoors, and the kids are home. During the fall, the kids go back to school, the weather begins to change and it starts the process of getting dark earlier. People change their schedules.
  • kckBxer396
    kckBxer396 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I live in a college town, so, when school is back in, there are a lot more people at the gym. The university has a fitness center,but everything is either broken or in use, so they flock elsewhere. I've also noticed an increase in broken equipment..I'm sure there's no correlation.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Not just in the gym.

Here too
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Yes, it has been busier lately. Lots of "bros" grunting with each other too.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    must be the "gotta lose X before the holidays" crowd
    shortly followed by the "this years resolution is the same as last years but this year ima do it!" crowd
    which comes right before the "zomg i need to be beach ready" crowd
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    8MmZq3r.jpg

Love this!

Can't wait until next year when my oldest is in kindergarten and my youngest is in preschool...I will FINALLY be able to join a gym and use actual free weights!! A year from now I will be gettin' reallllllyyyyy bulky, baby!! *happy dance*
  • mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I have definitely noticed a increase of traffic, but really its only at certain times of the day. Before 6 am is pretty busy, especially in the free weights area. It thins out quite a bit until the class people come in around mid morning. Thins out again till about 4 pm and then its like every person for themselves from 4 to 7 pm. You can hardly find a cardio machine, and the free weights...forget about it. The other day I waited almost 70 min for a bench to open up and one never did. I left that day not completing my workout.
    The sign up area has been packed as well and there are tours going on the whole time I am there.

Luckily for me, I get to make my own schedule at work so I have been hitting the sweet spot...between 1 pm and 4 pm. Its almost completely empty and I have yet to wait for any machines, or benches. etc.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I don't mind the increase really, our gym has a $.10 sign up special going on, so first month's fee, joining fee, and whatever other fee they charge upfront is all just a dime. It sucks for a little while, but I'm willing to deal with it for the added benefit.

All these people sign up, go for a month or two, then start to drop off, then come back in January, work out for a month or 3, then drop off again...by June/July we have less people in the gym and 2 new power racks, new benches, new dumbbells, a few new bars and some bumper plates, total interior make-over, added a day care, new ellipticals, new classes, etc, etc, etc.

So, I say, let the new people come, let them sign up, spend their money and then stop coming and still pay each month because they believe, "I'm going to go back to the gym soon."
  • kathrinoutloud
    kathrinoutloud Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I absolutely hate gyms, so I am not sure, but everyone at work is talking about going to the gym. I live in Oakland and work next to Lake Merritt. Why on earth would I want to go to a gym when I have this beautiful environment right at my doorstep. I do take kick classes at a karate studio.

I am starting an out door bootcamp in October. I am outdoors working out every change I get. Gyms feel so lab-rat-ish to me.
  • BIRD0
    BIRD0 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    There was an increase of highschool looking kids when school started back up, which was annoying as I usually don't have to wait for certain things, but it seems to have gotten back to normal. I do go around 3:30/4 though. Went around 5 once and it was really packed.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's all cyclical.
  • manhn1
    manhn1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have not noticed any increase in traffic when it comes to cardio machines or weights.

I do see an increase when it comes to classes. During the summer, people go on holidays, entertain children who are not in school, workout in the outdoors, etc. In the fall, their schedules normalize and they return to the classes. At least, that was true for me when I went to a Sunday morning step class. The instructor asked me where I was all summer. I was pretty much away every weekend. And if I was at home, I usually did my long runs on the Sunday.

I haven't noticed any increase in new members but if that is the case, it may be due to the fact that people tend to buy/rent new homes in the summer. So, now they have to find a new gym to attend.