Alternative to creamer for coffee

Options

Replies

• JennSchn
    JennSchn Posts: 65
    Options
    I love flavored coffee only Mystic Monk Coffee will do as I think all others don't compare. They have Carmel and Royal Rum Pecan are my favorites. Then I add liquid Splenda. I like it better than the powder. I also use either fat free half and half or skim milk. I have been gradually using a little less and less creamer. I don't use as much as I used to. Gotta have that coffee.
  • suejonestx
    suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    What about continuing to use the creamers, just cutting the amount you use? You could "wean" yourself slowly down to an acceptable number of calories. (I'm addicted to vanilla caramel, but don't use very much.)
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I found this recipe on a blog I read a lot called Premeditated Leftovers.

Do-It-Yourself French Vanilla Creamer

14 oz. can of condensed milk
    28 oz. milk (I usually use nonfat milk, but was out when I made this batch.)
    1 T - 1 1/2 T vanilla (I use artificial vanilla)

Pour the can of condensed milk into a pitcher. Fill the can two times with milk, adding the milk to the pitcher. Add vanilla to taste. Stir well. Keep refrigerated.

Edited to add: Did the math. Works out to about 20 calories per tablespoon, using sweetened condensed milk. :) Not bad!
  • dbenson48
    dbenson48 Posts: 43
    Options
    I use nothing but fat free regular coffee mate, and it is very good and creamy tasting!:wink:
  • moonspinner75
    moonspinner75 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Great question! I am ADDICTED to Coffee Mate creamers! LOL! I have started using DaVinci Sugar free coffee syrup. I only use about a TBSP and there are no cals or fat. It's not as good as coffee mate but decent. Also, I like Silk Vanilla Soy milk but haven't tried it in coffee. I will tomorrow though ; ) Thanks and good luck!

Fellow Coffemate addict here! I drink the fat free for less calories, but just waste a TON of calories after all the cups throughout the day. Where do you get this DaVinci and are you still liking it?
  • bstela
    Options
    cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg are all great!

I don't know if anybody posted it here but LACTOSE-free milk tastes slightly sweeter!! :-) you should try it!
  • sillyrichie
    sillyrichie Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've been using Muscle Milk (Vanilla Creme flavor) lately, and it's pretty good!
  • ElsaVonMarmalade
    ElsaVonMarmalade Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You can use any extract to add flavor but no calories or sugar. A little goes a long way.

Vanilla
    Cinnamon
    Butter-Nut
    Almond
    Coconut
    Hazelnut
    Maple
    Rum
    Amaretto
    Chocolate

I also use extracts to make homemade, unsweetened soda water.
  • 1flowergirl
    1flowergirl Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    coconut milk
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    This probably isn't helpful but I use the flavoured instant coffees ... hazelnut and vanilla ... and add 5 or 10% cream.
    They satisfy my need for oomph.

I know that instant coffee is blasphemy to some. Don't hate. :bigsmile:
  • dfelteau
    dfelteau Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love Unsweetened Vanilla Flavored Almond Milk and for 1/4 cup it'll cost you 8 calories 1g of fat. That and a packet of Sweetleaf gives you a milky and sweet coffee. I definitely like the Vanilla Flavored more than the unflavored but my coffee switched from milk or half/half to almond milk six months ago and I don't miss it!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    In Australia most people just use regular cows milk. Almost no one would think to use creamers.
  • veggiegirl228
    veggiegirl228 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Great question! I am ADDICTED to Coffee Mate creamers! LOL! I have started using DaVinci Sugar free coffee syrup. I only use about a TBSP and there are no cals or fat. It's not as good as coffee mate but decent. Also, I like Silk Vanilla Soy milk but haven't tried it in coffee. I will tomorrow though ; ) Thanks and good luck!

Fellow Coffemate addict here! I drink the fat free for less calories, but just waste a TON of calories after all the cups throughout the day. Where do you get this DaVinci and are you still liking it?

Not DaVinci but at Walmart you can find Torani in the aisle where coffee is sold. Target carries the Archer Farms brand.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Regular half and half (fat free has sugar added). I add ground Cinnamon sometimes too.
  • lessele
    lessele Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I use fat free half and half. It is only 10 cals per tablespoon. You could then add any sweeteners and extracts like vanilla, almond, or cinnamon etc....I don't ususally sweeten my coffee.
  • ladyredeemed4
    ladyredeemed4 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I found a recipe on Pinterest for a healthy version of pumpkin pie spice coffee creamer (my favorite)
    2 cups skim milk
    1/2 cup pumpkin puree
    1tbsp vanilla extract
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
    1-2 tbsp. Truvia
    Heat skim milk and pumpkin puree on stove just until almost boiling, remove from stove, wisk in everything until mixed and chill. One recipe said to strain before pouring into a bottle or jar.
    Haven't tried yet, because I am waiting till my shopping day - but it is definitely on my list.

There are lots of other flavors to make as well. One of the other post said that the SF/FF syrups are good and they are great in your coffee.
  • PennyPD
    PennyPD Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have the same dilemma, I have decided to buy flavored coffee and forego the creamer. OR sometimes I add a drop of vanilla or sprinkling of cinnamon
  • nomorebamboozles
    nomorebamboozles Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You could just drink the coffee you love, but only drink half! That's what I do, sorry if this wasn't exactly what you were looking for... :P
  • anmontgomery
    Options
    I use Almond Milk in my coffee. I usually use Unsweetened Vanilla, and I find that the slight nutty taste really compliments the coffee. If you wanted a sweeter coffee, you could use Original Vanilla Almond Milk (they also have Chocolate). If you want it even sweeter you can use an alternative sweetener like Stevia. They do make Caramel and Vanilla stevia flavors.

2 things I wouldn't recommend anything with aspartame (as it is really terrible for you and has a lot of very serious side effects)

Read more about Aspartame here: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/be-aware-this-food-radically-increases-your-risk-of-cancer.html

Also women should be careful in their Soy consumption. The hormones can really do damage, as well as cause various problems, for example to your thyroid.

Read more about Soy here: http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/170-scientific-reasons-to-lose-the-soy-in-your-diet/
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    In Australia most people just use regular cows milk. Almost no one would think to use creamers.

QFT. I find the whole creamer thing so odd and I hope it never catches on here