how to change your mindset about calories

Options
2»

Replies

• nbraymer
    Options
    I would like to first say good job on all your hard work and dedication to your health. I would also like to say that in general each person using mfp has a not so great relationship with food/nutrition and it takes time and education to learn the right way to help your body. So back off people! I over ate and thus had to slowly remove calories in increments of 200 from my total daily amount, I went from 2600 to now 1800 and have lost 30lbs. I would say try to add small amounts of calories every few months until you are at the sweet spot to keep your body fed and your metabolism moving. As for the mind set, I try to think of calories as a budget, what you have is what you get to spend, give or take a few. I don't eat my points back after excercise unless I am starvingI can say what you are eating is very healthy, so good job with that. Maybe try adding more snacks at first to get a bump up with out getting too full. I find that I eat every couple of hours, but smaller amounts. Good luck and keep your chin up!
  • goforthd5
    Options
    I do not have advice or criticism to offer. But I am here to answer one of your questions- how many calories should you be eating. I weigh around 129 at 5'3" and have my calories set at 1370, that is with a 1/3 lb weight loss a week. So it should be safe to say that somewhere around 1400 would be near maintenance. There is varying opinions about eating back exercise calories. From experience, when I first started I was eating around 1200 calories and not eating back. At first I lost, but then it stopped completely which was very discouraging. However, once I began eating back and upping to 1370, the loss was more consistent albeit slow. I am back again because unlike you, I have a tremendous sweet tooth that I can not control unless I count every calorie! Anyway, I did not mean to ramble, sorry about that!