Chicken techniques!

Options

Replies

• albionjen
    albionjen Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Here's my favourite recipe. It is really tasty to have in salad or a sandwich or with cous cous, basically however you like.

1½ tbsp lemon juice
    1 tbsp olive oil
    2 tsp fresh thyme leaves, plus a few sprigs
    1 garlic clove, bashed to bruise
    4 organic/free-range skinless boneless chicken breast fillets, about 140g/5oz each

Marinate the chicken. Mix the lemon juice, oil, thyme and garlic in a shallow dish. Add the chicken and turn it over in the marinade to coat well. Season with freshly ground pepper and leave for up to 2 hrs.

Heat a griddle pan until very hot. Lay the chicken on the griddle, on the side that had the skin on. Cook for 15-16 mins, turning once or twice, until cooked through. Remove, then let the meat sit for 5 mins before slicing.

This is copied straight from chicken Caesar salad recipe:
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/6296/the-ultimate-makeover-chicken-caesar-salad
  • perla737
    perla737 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • LovelyTasha
    Options
    I work in catering and come into this constantly! How to get a boneless skinless breast to taste good and moist without all the calories. This is a favorite I got from one of the sous chefs and its really so simple!! Coat the breasts in either lite Italian or lite Caesar dressing and bake uncovered for 20 minutes at 450 or 35-40 minutes at 350. That's it! Most people get into trouble freaking out too much about chicken being done enough it gets overcooked. The thing with chicken is its different from other meats where it's beneficial to cook "low and slow". It's actually better to cook high and fast for chicken.
  • dabearo
    dabearo Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    4-6 boneless skinless chicken breast. Place in crockpot. Pour 3/4 jar of your favorite salsa. Cook 4-6 hours on low. Until it shreds with fork easily. I add a chipotle pepper for heat. Remove chicken turn crock pot on high to reduce sauce. Some salsa makes more juice. Shred chicken back in sauce. It well absorb a bit of sauce. You can add remaining 1/4 salsa, for a fresh flavor. Test for salt.

Make tacos, put on potatoes, eat cold on salad. Keeps and freezes great. Feeds a crowd easily and cheap.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Brown chicken breasts with plenty of onions in a cast-iron skillet or Dutch oven. Mix 1-2 packages of your favorite taco seasoning blend with 1-2 cups water. Pour seasoning mix over chicken. Cover and bake at 375F for an hour or so -- until the chicken is almost disintegrating. Shred with forks. Use for salads, mix with grains, roll in wraps, have tacos, whatever.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I work in catering and come into this constantly! How to get a boneless skinless breast to taste good and moist without all the calories. This is a favorite I got from one of the sous chefs and its really so simple!! Coat the breasts in either lite Italian or lite Caesar dressing and bake uncovered for 20 minutes at 450 or 35-40 minutes at 350. That's it! Most people get into trouble freaking out too much about chicken being done enough it gets overcooked. The thing with chicken is its different from other meats where it's beneficial to cook "low and slow". It's actually better to cook high and fast for chicken.

3 hrs @ 170 degrees

http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/slow-baked-chicken-with-onions/
  • lnettles87
    lnettles87 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    bump
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I have a couple quick easy favorites, that reheat well, or are very tasty in salads and on sandwiches.

I cut my breasts into bite sized cubes, marinade over night in either italian dressing or a teryaki marinade (nothing super thick or sweet), then on the stove top cover and cook on medium heat about 5-7 minutes stirring frequently.

Or my other fav.... take a boneless skinless chicken breast (or however many you want to fix) lightly sprinkle a little parmesan cheese, salad supreme and fresh cracked pepper, then cover and bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes depending on the size of the breast. So good.... chop it up in salads, put it over pasta, make chicken salad out of it. YUM!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    So what I do is pick up 4 or 5 breasts, and marinade them. Generally a mix of mustard and girard's champagne salad dressing which is like crack. Or sriracha and lemon pepper.

Anyway, then I either grill them over mesquite, or I sear them in a pan, and place them on a cookie sheet covered in foil where I finish them in the oven. To keep them moist yet cooked, you have to cook by temperature. you take a thermometer and stick in a thick piece of the breast to get the temp, then anticipate it will rise a couple degrees by the time they've rested.

I generally pull the breasts between 145 and 150. Lower than what most non-professional cooks will claim, but those temps are for liability's sake.

Then I slice them up and into a tupperware they go. If I were to be keeping them for longer than say 4 days, I'd throw them in my vacuum sealer.
  • Dr_Gains
    Dr_Gains Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    i always use mrs dash extra spicy and southwestern chipotle seasoning mix and cook it off of a foreman. tastes amazing all the time either on sandwiches or in rice etc.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I prefer to cut it into cubes and stir-fry it.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    If your intent is to eat them cold on salads, then poaching is a great way to keep them moist. You can flavor them any way you want with the poaching liquid.

http://lowfatcooking.about.com/od/chickenbreastrecipes/a/poachedchicken.htm
  • psychdlc
    psychdlc Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Easiest thing in the world. I wrap frozen boneless skinless breasts in foil and toss them in the oven for an hour at 350°. They turn out perfect every time, and you can use them for anything. I save the juice, and use it later for gravy, soup, or whatever.
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I make chicken nachos that are great alone, on salads, etc.

1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast in bite size cubes
    1 jar of salsa (I use mild)
    1 can of black beans (rinsed)

Saute chicken until mostly cooked through. Pour in the entire jar of salsa and the can of black beans. Simmer over medium/low heat until the liquid is reduced slightly (about 10-20 minutes).

Super easy and can be adapted. I've also added things like corn, zucchini, etc. Yum!
  • Hunnib23
    Hunnib23 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Lately I have been using a lot of the dry seasoning/dressing packets or even some of the light/fat free dressings. You can find them with the dressings (I love the garlic and herb or italian), or even the ones for Bruschetta chicken. I don't use all of the ingredients or even all of the seasoning. I usually mix it with some lower sodium chicken broth or
  • justlistening
    justlistening Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I have not poached chicken breasts much but this site talks about poaching in saran wrap or a bag with spices.
    http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/poached_chicken_/
  • jrmommy23
    jrmommy23 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Great ideas! Bump for later.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I have not poached chicken breasts much but this site talks about poaching in saran wrap or a bag with spices.
    http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/poached_chicken_/

Poaching is a great method. If you have access to a vacuum sealer, you can seal them in with a flavoring marinade or sauce, set a crock pot to low and hold the chicken in it, cooking, for a long period of time without drying them out or making them tough... then you take it out and eat it, or I like to take it out, sear it quick in a pan for some browning. The texture is sublime.

It's ghetto sous vide.
  • phurst00
    phurst00 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Usually I cook chicken in large batches in my crockpot. Usually I buy a few pounds of boneless chicken breasts and either throw them all in as is, or chop a few in half if they won't all fit. Add a little bit of water to help them stay moist, seasonings, turn it on Low, and go about your business for several hours. I then portion them into freezer bags and freeze most. You could even measure out 1-2 cups per bag if you wanted. Usually for my seasonings I just do a good amount of pepper, garlic powder and onion so that I can always add to the chicken later when I go to reheat and it's not just a big batch of taco flavored chicken or something.

PS - if you're trying to save money by buying bone in chicken (chicken leg quarters in particular can be as low as $0.59/lb), you can cook those easily in the crockpot as well! Follow the instructions above and the bones will literally slide right out when it's done cooking.
  • KMJ1686
    KMJ1686 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I prepare mine in the oven, I'm not big on grilled chicken. Season it with just salt, pepper or whatever you have. I've also marinated it in light itailan dressing or bbq sauce. Preheat oven to 350, for 1.5hrs and it'll come out perfect and tender everytime.

Edit- This is for boneless/skinless chicken