Stupid-face gym people

Options
124»

Replies

• MatthewLewis81
    MatthewLewis81 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Once watched a young man (and he looked in great shape, I must admit) literally stare at himself in the mirror for an HOUR - he did three sets of curls, all with too much weight, all with crappy form - and the kicker? His girlfriend? She did ZERO sets, but was standing next to him fawning over him the WHOLE time (In workout attire too)!! His eyes were glued to the mirror; her eyes were glued to him...for an HOUR!!
    Reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcYKUj32Z3I
  • _liftnlove
    Options
    People like that are why God created headphones, loud music, and death glares. :)
  • BIRD0
    BIRD0 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I can relate. A few weeks ago in a yoga class, this group of 3 women quit in the middle of the class, and instead of leaving the room, they sat in the back giggling and talking trash. It made me fall while doing downdog splits, of course resulting in louder laughter. I wish I had said something, but I didn't. I did vow that if something like that were to happen again, I'd be my usual abrasive self and tell them to gtfo or stfu. Haven't seen them at the gym, at all, since.
  • BIRD0
    BIRD0 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Also, since then, I sit/stand in the front of the room, allowing me to stare at my magnificence in the mirror.
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    tl;dr. Relax is my advice whatever this rant was about.
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Once watched a young man (and he looked in great shape, I must admit) literally stare at himself in the mirror for an HOUR - he did three sets of curls, all with too much weight, all with crappy form - and the kicker? His girlfriend? She did ZERO sets, but was standing next to him fawning over him the WHOLE time (In workout attire too)!! His eyes were glued to the mirror; her eyes were glued to him...for an HOUR!!
    Reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcYKUj32Z3I
    hilarious. The best part is when they carry the mirror together at the end, instead of holding hands. love it.
  • MYhealthyjourney70
    Options
    that's why I like the recreation center. I haven't seen loud obnoxious lunks there.. my biggest complaint are the ones who don't wipe the equipment down when they are done... I do not want to sit in your sweat....
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    At least they were minding their own business, doesn't sound like they were being rude on purpose or anything. I'd rather have some over amped up dudes than people making fun of other people like at my gym =_=
  • GGDaddy
    GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Punk: "How many sets you got left?"
    Me: "What??"
    Punk: "How many sets you got left, bro?"
    Me: "What??"
    Punk: "Bro, can you take your buds out so you can hear me? (or something like that - I had my music up so I couldnt hear him!!)
    Me: "What???"

So you'd rather be looked at as the rude person who hogs all the equipment and annoys everyone around them by doing that and having their music so loud I can sing along to it (that's not good for your ears btw. Good luck when you're deaf!)? It's a gym. You're supposed to share. I've asked people if they were done with equipment/how many sets they had left because I wanted to use it when they were done and they have nicely told me and vice versa. No need to be a dink about it.

What???
  • profosho
    profosho Posts: 17 Member
    Options
  • cstoney2013
    cstoney2013 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    They could be doing a lot worse. At least they aren't harassing women or breaking machines. Sounds like they are being really positive with each other and it's working for them. Any public place you go, you have to deal with other people. I've learned to just put my head down and focus on what I'm doing. Every now and then, I'll just quietly chuckle to myself when people are being that ridiculous. No point stressing out.

oh Lord!!.....sigh....
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Greetings Josh,
    The rules of this board won't let me use the words I'd like to... but I want to vent about tonight's gym experience. Hopefully you can relate.

So, the wife and I are using one of the squat racks, just starting our sets. There is an older but obviously very dedicated man next to us. He's half my size but lifting twice the weight I currently am. Impressive. He's quietly getting his work done. I tell my wife to watch him for pointers on proper form. So far, so good. Then, in walks a couple of feminine hygiene products. You know the type, early 20s, crooked/tilted hats, tank tops to bro off, I mean show off their muscles. Talking very loudly about inane crap that nobody cares about but them... One approaches the older man "how many sets you got, bro?" There's an open rack right next to him. No need to break this man's concentration... he replies calmly "quite a few"

The conversation can be heard throughout most of the spacious gym, even though they are 5 feet from each other. "Dude, you gotta get you a naturally aspirated v8, not some Honda ****. Chicks like fast they don't care how cheap..." etc etc. "Man I *wish* that dude had done it in front of me, I'd be like..." ugh. STFU... I'm trying to focus on my own workout and help instruct my wife with hers. "going for a nice set of 20 here, bro. push it man, do it! nice bro, nice"

On to the bench, and now we're even closer to them. They've moved on to some odd looking leg lifts machine, and one is "spotting" the other. He's counting the other guy's reps out loud. very loud. "20, 21, c'mon bro that's it. 23. 24. 25. ok my turn let's do this". I sit up for a quick rest between sets and catch the eye of another man nearby. We exchange knowing, frustrated looks. Back to my next set and he's at it again. "10. 11. 12" grrr... I'm pushing a new weight for me (at least new for this decade), and the distraction is getting to me. I wait for him to finish: "24! 25!" OK, now I can get back to work. I get one rep in and "YEAH BRO!" nearly makes me drop the bar. My wife is actually stifling a laugh over that one. Moreso at how ridiculous they sound than my near failure to hold the bar up. At least I hope that's true. I finish my sets with a bit of renewed vigor. My adrenaline is pumping a bit more so I finish them more easily than I probably could have normally... maybe these idiots actually helped me. I'd rather do it without any perceived help, though.

After the bench sets I decided to try and find an open lat machine before we head over to deadlift. Just to get away from these punks. All machines are taken. We wander back towards where we really need to be and find them flexing their sweet pumps in the mirror. *sigh*... at least they appear to be done with their 15 minutes of work. We knock out our deadlift sets and head for the door. I somehow resist the urge to say something to gym management. Not sure what I would have said, anyway.

If I ever win the lottery, I'm going to open a gym with a strict no-bro policy. I'll even hire some retired offensive linemen to be bouncers. This crap has got to stop... it's as bad as talking in a movie theater. What gives these morons the right to disturb the workouts of others with their nonsense? Ugh... Am I alone in this? Surely someone else has a gymbro story to share. Let's have em :)

I plug music into my skull so as I'm not assaulted aurally by the toxic saccharine "music" at my gym. You might also find it useful in blocking out the vapid conversations from the jersey shore escapees in your gym.
    Wishing you all the best,

Ben
  • keflexxxx
    keflexxxx Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    just joined a gym where these sorta people are refused membership. should be good.
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    When I have my earbuds in you have to actually tap me on the shoulder to break my concentration. I don't pay any attention to what anyone else is doing. I understand what you are talking about though, if you were trying to advise your wife on her workout there was really no way for you to tune them out.
  • Jessesbride
    Jessesbride Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    That's pretty much why I just have ear plugs in & listen to music way loud... I can't stand that type of stuff! Grrr!!!
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I wake up way to early for the bros to be at the gym at the same time as me so in really thankful for that. I just have two other sets of really annoying people at mine.

1. The female not so lifters invading the free weight area. Now, I'm not talking about the women that actually come to te free weights to get their **** done. Im talking about the ones that will come over and for example walk in between the benches while you are working. Like trying to finish sets of dumbell press and almost drop it on my face as I see this massive *kitten* come inches away from my hand whike its going up. Only to finish the set to see her doing air squats with no weights less than a foot in front of my bench. Or yesterday one set a yoga mat in between two bench presses. I couldn't believe my eyes when she did that. What the hell are you thinking? Do you really want your face crushed in? There's an ENTIRE separate room for the **** you are doing. I've contemplated several times just letting a dumbell off to the side as a warning shot.

I do enjoy the female lifters though :) but I'm not the creepy guy who stares. And yeah, if you have a nice *kitten* then feel free to do air squats inches away from me but please make sure I'm between sets for the eye candy.

2. The jerk offs that set up an entire crossfit circuit across half the gym. Not only do they always end up hogging a crap ton of stuff at once, it can throw you off as you see some *kitten* sprint by you out of nowhere when your lifting. Not to mention I've seen someone's foot almost explode as a gym crossfit ter not a crossfit gym almost drop a weight she had no business lifting on someone foot as she did this thing that somehow was suppossed to be farmers walks.

I love this! :laugh: Oh my gawd! Very entertaining! I like the 3rd type post, also. :drinker:
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I plug music into my skull so as I'm not assaulted aurally by the toxic saccharine "music" at my gym. You might also find it useful in blocking out the vapid conversations from the jersey shore escapees in your gym.

Ben
    It's a valid point, but I need to be able to hear and talk to my wife, since she needs help with form, etc. She's a freeweights newbie and while she's picking it up fast, I don't want her to get hurt.

The real question is: how do we get jersey shore to take them back? ;)
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options

Ben
    It's a valid point, but I need to be able to hear and talk to my wife, since she needs help with form, etc. She's a freeweights newbie and while she's picking it up fast, I don't want her to get hurt.

The real question is: how do we get jersey shore to take them back? ;)

A valid point, Josh.
    Well, in my gym the way people would deal with them is to laugh at them.
    It has a salutary effect on many forms of anti-social behaviour.
    You could try that or having a quiet word with the management.