Muscles on Left Bigger than Right

Options
I've noticed that my left side is more defined than my right side. Is this normal? I am right handed but my left leg/arm is definitely stronger. How do I make my right side more proportionate?

Replies

• maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    When I used to make armor my right arm was bigger than my left from swinging a hammer. :)
  • minijag06
    Options
    The only explanation I can think of for my left being dominate (and me being right handed) is 20 years of military service with my left arm carrying everything and my right arm ready to salute. My non-military friends favor their right arms to carry things - if their right handed.
  • italral
    italral Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm right handed, but think like a lefty. I box south paw, bat lefty, etc. I highly recommend using dumbbells for workouts to ensure one side is not over compensating for the other. I was doing barbell OHP up till a week ago when I had a sneaky suspicion that I wasn't lifting evenly. Sure enough, I cut the weight in half for the DBs, my right side went straight up, and my left deflated after half a press.
  • the_dude00
    the_dude00 Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that my left side is more defined than my right side. Is this normal? I am right handed but my left leg/arm is definitely stronger. How do I make my right side more proportionate?

Completely normal. My left side is a little bit bigger than my right.

1) almost no one was born completely symetrical. For fun tomorrow, look directly at peoples eyes - often you'll notice one is a tiny bit higher than the other...

2) Only way to correct it, is too train the weaker side a little bit harder, and to try to do daily tasks with that side. It won't make you 100% symetrical but maybe it will help a little.
  • JumpingDog
    JumpingDog Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Yep, no one is symmetrical. My ribs stick out more on my left than right which makes my stomach fold differently on each side. I have asymmetrical stomach skin folds and ribcage indents. Welcome to being human.

I agree with the_dude00, all you can do is train one side more and forget about it.
  • mssierra2u
    mssierra2u Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    If you are using nautilus-type machines it's reaaaally easy for your stronger side to do more of the work. Try hand weights. Hand weights will also help you address the asymmetry.