Should I join the gym?

Options
Hi, I'm looking for advice please! I am 51 years old and reasonably active with cycling (once a week on the road, plus a couple of nights a week on the wind trainer) swimming (usually once or twice a week) and walking daily. I have been on every diet you can name over the last few years and have basically been fighting my weight all of my adult life. I need to lose 20 pounds and I am now debating whether to join the gym or not. I have been told that resistance training at my age (!!) is important, but would like to know if anyone can advise me on this. I will probably struggle to fit it in, but will find the time if it is considered worthwhile.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Resistance training is very important at just about any age. I highly recommend incorporating it into your fitness regimen. That doesn't necessarily mean you have to join a gym...it really depends on what kind of a routine you want to do and what your goals ultimately are. You can do a lot with just body weight...but of course, if you want to body build that wouldn't be enough...just as an example.

I strength train primarily (though I do some assistance work in the hypertrophy rep range) so I need the heavy equipment at the gym...but like I said, it really depends on your overall goals.
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    My gym has a ton of people up there around your age, there's never any uneasiness between them and people my age or people younger than me. We're all there for the same reason.

If cardio and diet aren't doing it alone then once you start some legitimate strength training I think you'll see the results you want. Building the muscle will improve everything and it doesn't mean you're going to "bulk up" unless you're eating to bulk while you're lifting.
  • psychofairy25
    psychofairy25 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    you sound pretty active as is, and yes resistance/strength training could help you loose that last bit,

It doesn't mean you have to join a gym to get it. there are plenty of article/ posts here about it if you are confused on anything, but I like utube you could find a 15-30 min weightlifting or resistance band routine you like and add it 2x a week, the trick is finding one you like and there is some debate on bands or weights everyone has a preference. I use band now but will have to upgrade to either a thicker band or dumbbells myself.
    But weather you choose gym and a set routine, or a home 30 min routine as long as you have the will power youll get there eventually

Good luck:glasses:
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Can you elaborate on "every diet known to man"? What kind of diets? How long we're you on them? Did you lose weight while doing them and then gain it back?

I am all for the benefits of strength training, and there are many. But honestly, weight loss is done through creating a calorie deficit, and that is best done through diet. I would recommend you try logging your food here for a month and eating the recommended calories, while maintaining your current workouts. Then you can decide if you want/need to add in resistance training to meet your goal.
  • NanaWubbie
    NanaWubbie Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I am 45 and thought I was active, that is until I got a fitness monitor. I use a BodyMedia Fit link, and it doesn't lie to me about my calories burned like MFP can. I use MFP to record my food, and I am honest about portion sizes. I know I am hitting my exercise goals now, and the pounds have come off like melting butter!!!! I bought some weighted balls (2 to 15 pounds, and play catch with my kids and grand kids, and I bike and hike....and run the stairs at work (8 stories, every hour on the hour). I do belong to a gym and use it for a little strength training every week, but cycling and running with friends is so much easier! I get bored to tears on a stationary bike or treadmill. Best of luck on your journey!