Your favorite protein sources?

Options
I've noticed getting adequate protein is the key for me, personally, to stay satiated and within my calorie limits. I'm avoiding red meat for medical reasons, and I love chicken but it's getting old. I've thrown in a few protein bars, which are palatable enough, and tuna, but I'm hoping you guys have your favorite protein sources or recipes to share. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    My favorite is Greek yogurt. Dannon Light n Fit Greek (only 80 cals for a conatiner!) Or I get Trader Joe's 0% fat plain Greek, and top it with pomegranate seeds... so good!

Other sources: a dollop of peanut butter - you can even add it into plain greek yogurt to make it better (I can't eat it alone - too tart).
    Hard Boiled egg
    Few slices of deli meat (oven roast turkey) wrapped around a cheese stick

I too, have a hard time getting my protein in each day. Anxious to see other people's responses!
  • Bikini_Bound150
    Bikini_Bound150 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Oikos Greek yogurt
    Hard boiled eggs
    Salmon patties from Costco are awesome
    Komplete Nutrition shakes from Costco
    Sauteed shrimp
    Peanut butter protein shakes

All very delicious sources :)
  • rsalty
    rsalty Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Fish and cottage cheese have become major sources for me.
  • BrouhardRj
    BrouhardRj Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I like protein shake.. Its easy and you can add fruit to it..

My favorite is Muscle Tech chocolate it has 20g of Protein and its very tasty....
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Egg whites.. lately been putting four in a small bowl and nuking them in the microwave (put some plastic wrap on top in case it explodes).

Tofu .. just discovered this recently. it doesn't taste like hardly anything and it has interesting texture and good protein. But don't eat it every day I'm afraid of the estrogen.

Fish from a can like tuna or salmon, but I always make sure to carefully wash and drain it with water before cooking it. The oil in the sauce makes me run to the restroom. This too shouldn't eat every day because of mercury in fish.

Chicken is still my most consumed protein.

I can't find turkey here but that might work too.

Red meat too, but you said you can't.

Nuts .. except can't eat many because of high calories in fat.

I found milk powder for people with burns. It's cheap too. It has huge amounts of protein but no sugar or fat. I don't much like the taste of it. I can stand it mixed with yoghurt though.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    quest bars
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Beans are probably my favourite protein source, and amongst them, at the moment, are chickpeas.
    Delicious and incredibly versatile.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • MoonLit_90
    MoonLit_90 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Quinoa. Greek Yogurt. Peanut Butter.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Edamame and protein bars
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Oh- one more! Ground turkey!! Jennie-O 93/7 Ground Turkey.

I get ground turkey, mix in some chopped onion and red/green bell peppers, and a little garlic and grill up (5) 4oz. turkey patties Keep them in a tupperware in the fridge to eat throughout the week. Just pull one out, add a dollop of my favorite BBQ sauce (a TINY bit) and heat up. It's super fast, easy and works out to about $1.00 per grilled patty (pretty cheap!!) and that packs 21grams of protein, and about 170 calories. This plus a little side salad or some fruit is a perfect lunch! :smile:
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Tofu .. just discovered this recently. it doesn't taste like hardly anything and it has interesting texture and good protein. But don't eat it every day I'm afraid of the estrogen

Don't be afraid. Its extremely healthy and soy consumption is linked to shrinkage of abdominal fat and the reversal of some cancers. Having said that, one shouldn't consume more than five servings of tofu per day.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Tuna and chicken are my main go-to protein sources, plus Greek yogurt, but I also include nuts. A half-cup of my usual dry unsalted peanuts gives me 14g protein, 28g fat, 12g carbs. The rest of my diet is pretty low-fat, so I usually still come in under my macros.

My main bread sources (crispbread and Manna bread) are also fairly good for protein. A slice of WASA multigrain provides 2g of protein, but I usually have four slices at a sitting. Four ounces of multigrain Manna bread give me 12g of protein.

I also have cheddar cheese in moderation. Two ounces gives me 14g protein and 18g fat.
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I like very lean red meat (93/7), tuna, chicken, turkey burgers (they're not half bad!), morning star farms black bean burgers & breakfast sausage, greek yogurt (gold, use 0 cal sweetener or something like stevia to make it more like regular yogurt if that's your thing), jerky (turkey, beef, and pork), tuna steaks, salmon, and eggs.

Seriously, if you've not tried morning star farms black bean burgers, try them. Fry em hot in a pan with a touch of oil to let em brown nicely. Eat like you would a "chilli sandwich" because that's what they taste like. The breakfast sausage you can use in place of sausage, very tasty and lower calorie.

Also sashimi if you don't mind raw fish, tasty tasty and high protein, low calorie.

Edit: and Hummus! Dip it with baby carrots, not low calorie mind (there are low calorie versions with less fat), but high protein. Garbanzo bean curry is tasty too...
  • NinjaMaid
    NinjaMaid Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Special K protein cereal- delicious! and filling.
    Pumpkin seeds are a great snack
    Greek yogurt
    Emerald nuts or Emerald Breakfast to Go
    Turkey Breast
    Salmon
    Pork loin
    Cottage Cheese or hard cheeses
    Tofu products usually have 20 + grams.
  • danger2oneself2
    danger2oneself2 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    venison beef and chicken
  • pinkcandies
    Options
    Tuna
    Quinoa
    QUEST BARS (healthy and natural protein bar) <3
    Turkey burgers
    Nuts
    Protein powder (mix it with almond milk, spinach and a banana for a meal or just blend with ice and almond milk for a high protein snack)
    Smoked salmon
    Fish (Halibut, tilapia, cod, salmon, and rainbow trout)
    Shrimp
    Cottage Cheese
    Plain Greek yogurt (mix with protein powder and peanut butter for a really high protein snack :) )
    Peanut butter
    Pork tenderloin (same calories and fat as chicken breast- it's the new lean white meat :D )
    Black beans, pinto beans, etc.
    Look for no bake or bake protein muffin/balls recipes

Best of luck :)
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Chicken breasts & thighs
    Ground chicken - I add tex mex seasoning or Italiano seasoning & parmesan and make my own burgers
    Bison burgers - expensive but really delicious
    Eggs - I love eggs!
    Salmon
    Halibut - I like this fish best
    Sardines in olive oil - ok maybe I like sardines better
    Tuna
    Cottage cheese
    Greek yogurt
    Kefir
    Nuts
    Whey protein in smoothies
  • contingencyplan