HEART RATE MONITOR QUESTIONS...

Options
mimiteh35
mimiteh35 Posts: 486 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Ok, so a while back I had a heart rate monitor that I liked, it was a wrist one, while it would beep if I was over heart rate, I had to manually press a button for it to take my heart rate. We've been on a budget so it was the best I could get. Lost that, got another one, and this one doesn't even beep to tell me if I'm over my target, I have to actually remember what it is, and I have to remember to push the button to get my heart rate versus it just keeping track.

So, are the best ones the ones that go around the chest? I'm a big chesty girl in that area, on top of being wide around, do they make them wide enough to go around my body? Does it go directly under the chest, and if so, with "the girls" bouncing around, will it mess it up? I'm going to ask for one for my 40th bday (in less than 2 months) or money to get one, so if I'm going to pay the nice $$ for one (not the cheap $30 ones I've had) I want to make sure I can use it. :)

any advise on brands too would be great! I am doing Turbo Fire workout DVDs (almost finished with the 90 day schedule) and my fiance and I have just this week started C25K program with a goal 5K race coming up, so a monitor I could use without having to stop to push a button for my heart rate would be awesome. :)

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• mrhonesty
    mrhonesty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I just saw this post and am sorry,nobody answered you. I wonder if by now you found out about the jawbone Up?? post here or please e-mail me to let me know what you found out!
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I use Polar..it was around 80 dollars...go around my chest and I can monitor calories, heart rate etc with the wrist watch included...easy to use
  • ameryati
    ameryati Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I use a Garmin and to answer your question, the chest strap is adjustable and stretches too. And I also have big girls but it doesn't affect it in any way :).
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar FT60 and love it.... Not that I ever use it but it as the beep sensor you speak of which can be turned on or off... The Ft4 and Ft7 are both good as well not sure on all there functions though.. They all come with the chest strap... Best of Luck
  • lcs1211
    lcs1211 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I also have the Polar FT4 and I love it. I completely used one up and had to replace after about 2 years, but it was well worth it. Very easy to use and it monitors your heart rate, calories etc.
  • Thommothebear
    Thommothebear Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I endorse the recommendation for the Polar FT4, and you can use the PolarFitness.com site to calculate your workloads and recovery times too
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I've heard mostly good things about polar, and they are certainly reasonably priced. Definitely avoid any active HRM that does not have a chest strap.

I use a TomTom Multiposrt GPS/HRM watch and I love the thing. It's not cheap, but it has helped me a ton. Well worth the expense, IMO.
  • aimeero2012
    Options
    https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/sports/running/forerunner-110/prod63511.html

Hi, I use this garmin. I have a large chest (36 HH UK size) and the heart rate strap fits fine under my bra. I went into a running shop and tried it on in the changing room.

Good luck! I love my garmin!
  • TamaraKat
    TamaraKat Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    The chest strap is definitely the way to go - I have one which sits just below my breasts and when I work out, I cannot actually feel it although some people complain that they feel claustrophobic... You won't know unless you try.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I use the Polar FT4. They made chest bands in several sizes, and each size is adjustable too. The band itself doesn't go around your boobs, so it doesn't matter if you are big-chested or not. The band wraps around your torso, just under where your bra sits.

Speaking of which, the girls should not be flopping around AT ALL, no matter how big you are. You MUST get a great bra. I love the Playtex 18 Hour. It gives fantastic support, and I'm a runner. I've also heard of women who wear 2 bras while working out. Run a search for bra help here. You'll see a bunch of posts with all kinds of bra suggestions. Follow them!
  • ArtemisRuns
    ArtemisRuns Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7. It can upload your data to a website where you can track your workouts....it's so cool. It can beep if you go over, but I have that feature disabled. The chest band goes right under your sports bra. It's comfy, don't worry.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Anything Polar makes is going to be awesome. I use a Polar FT4, and I think it is well worth the money spent. If you do get one of these off Amazon or another website, I would just be sure to get the newest chest strap and transmitter. Some older (cheaper) version of the transmitter are very hard to change out the battery.
  • armymom5
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 and have been using it for about two weeks now. I highly recommend it!
  • FINALLY_MrsJones
    FINALLY_MrsJones Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 Heart Rate Monitor Watch (Bronze/Bronze) and I LOVE it so far. I'm also very busty and the strap sits just below my breasts under my sports bra. It's comfortable and I never notice it while I work out. You don't need any electrode gel or anything either to make the strap work, just a little water and it will read your heart rate. The watch registers your heart rate, of course, and beeps when you drop below or go over your target range.
  • antdogs
    antdogs Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    get the chest strap one its the best
  • mimiteh35
    Options
    I just saw this post and am sorry,nobody answered you. I wonder if by now you found out about the jawbone Up?? post here or please e-mail me to let me know what you found out!

No one has mentioned it to me yet, I'm not even sure I've heard of it before. Do you use it?
  • mimiteh35
    Options
    get the chest strap one its the best

That's what I've heard, but I'm a big girl, especially in the "bra" area lol, and wasn't sure if that causes issues with wearing the chest ones. :) I really want to get a better one because I haven't had good success with the wrist ones alone. :) Thanks!
  • mimiteh35
    Options
    I use Polar..it was around 80 dollars...go around my chest and I can monitor calories, heart rate etc with the wrist watch included...easy to use

Thanks!! :)
  • mimiteh35
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 Heart Rate Monitor Watch (Bronze/Bronze) and I LOVE it so far. I'm also very busty and the strap sits just below my breasts under my sports bra. It's comfortable and I never notice it while I work out. You don't need any electrode gel or anything either to make the strap work, just a little water and it will read your heart rate. The watch registers your heart rate, of course, and beeps when you drop below or go over your target range.

Thanks!! That was the biggest part I was afraid of, that my "girls" would move it out of place or affect it, or that it would be uncomfortable to workout in. I appreciate this, thanks!
  • DanIsACyclingFool
    DanIsACyclingFool Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Polar FT80 here. Love it. But I do a lot of cycling so I wish I'd gotten a polar rc5. Oh, well.
This discussion has been closed.