What it takes to loose 50+ lbs and keeping it off?

Options
Do share your thoughts. It will be helpfull!

Replies

• thatbelinda
    thatbelinda Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Eating less calories than you burn. Doing it consistently.
  • Nyksta
    Nyksta Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Determination, small steps, understanding it will take time, understanding and accepting that you will stall and may put a lb or 2 on at times but you need to just keep working through. Being prepared to try out different things and adjust your stratedgy as your got through your journey.

:)
  • hauhaut901
    hauhaut901 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Don't drink alcohol/soda swap them with water and watch the weight dissapeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar
  • Red_Scorpio_www
    Options
    Thank you really for sharing :)
    These I will keep in mind :)
  • Getawayfromthecake
    Options
    Do share your thoughts. It will be helpfull!

Attitude change. Exercise... diet change. Without the attitude change though the rest will be really half arsed, you need to really want it and be willing to become a warrior :)
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Get some friends on here, ones with similar stories or goals and who are active, it really does help alot!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Don't quit.
  • amsipub
    amsipub Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Learning how to eat healthy and in smaller portions, if you crave something, just have a taste of it. And find things you like to do whether it's dancing, or hiking or what have you. Just move :) I had to learn to know what is best to eat for me and what hunger really feels like. At first, you can feel hungry even 10 min. after eating. But once you keep eating healthier foods, that dies down as you start to fill yourself with foods that take longer to process (veggies, protein, whole grains, etc.). It's about changing your lifestyle and sticking with the new lifestyle for the rest of your life. It's not easy, but it is worth it. :)

GL!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Eating less calories than you burn. Doing it consistently.
    Don't quit.

These.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Lose

That was my thought. Thank you.
  • PositiveBody
    PositiveBody Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    When you hang with other folks who have the same goal in mind, it becomes part of your life...that is why support is so necessary. Now is the time to be your best with friends...I am starting this journey, join me as a friend? It will be great!
  • dennik15
    dennik15 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Don't drink alcohol/soda swap them with water and watch the weight dissapeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar

I haven't given up anything, though I do drink less, and I'm down 51lbs since January and still going. My advice? Don't put yourself on such a strict plan that you feel deprived. I make lighter versions of the same food I've always made, eat less of it, and bulk up on veggies. For example, last night I made scalloped potatoes and ham. I had 1 serving and 1/2 a plate of brussels sprouts. I was well satisfied but still under my calorie goal and had a little sweet snack to top off my day.
  • marleniap
    marleniap Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Determination, small steps, understanding it will take time, understanding and accepting that you will stall and may put a lb or 2 on at times but you need to just keep working through. Being prepared to try out different things and adjust your stratedgy as your got through your journey.

:)

I agree totally.
  • ahopefulloser
    ahopefulloser Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've lost 62 pounds in a little over four months by following a 2 step program:

1) Learn basic nutrition facts and decide that you're not going to fill your body with junk/processed foods anymore.
    2) Walk

Do this, and you're set for life.
  • marleniap
    marleniap Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Learning how to eat healthy and in smaller portions, if you crave something, just have a taste of it. And find things you like to do whether it's dancing, or hiking or what have you. Just move :) I had to learn to know what is best to eat for me and what hunger really feels like. At first, you can feel hungry even 10 min. after eating. But once you keep eating healthier foods, that dies down as you start to fill yourself with foods that take longer to process (veggies, protein, whole grains, etc.). It's about changing your lifestyle and sticking with the new lifestyle for the rest of your life. It's not easy, but it is worth it. :)

GL!

I really like this.
  • hotmamatodd
    hotmamatodd Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    1. Know what you are eating. MFP has been crucial to my and my husband's weight loss success. When you start breaking down cals/proteins/etc. for everything you put in your mouth and see the totals...you will be surprised! That is how we began making little changes to our favorite recipes and pantry items.
    2. Always being prepared. We have 5 little ones, so we are always at the grocery store or in the kitchen. Sundays is our day to do food prep for the week. BBQ chicken breasts, chop veggies, menu plan. Having a plan and healthy food on-hand is a must.
    3. Exercise! Not only does it help you reach your goals more quickly, it makes you feel and look great! Added bonus-you earn more cals to eat. I save my favorite, higher calorie snacks and meals for heavier workout days. :-)

Good Luck!
  • daftthoughts
    Options
    Have a good relationship with food. Understand that balance is the key, both in eating, exercising and enjoying life. Don't deprive yourself of the things you want, but learn to make them fit into your life without sacrificing your health. Don't obsess about the number on the scale, understand that your weight will fluctuate a lot one day to the other, one week to the other, and that it's okay.

But most importantly, love yourself for who you are NOW and continue to love yourself.

You can change your appearance pretty easily, but you can't change how you think about yourself overnight. If you don't love yourself no matter what weight you are, no weight will ever be good enough.
  • ahopefulloser
    ahopefulloser Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    But most importantly, love yourself for who you are NOW and continue to love yourself.

You can change your appearance pretty easily, but you can't change how you think about yourself overnight. If you don't love yourself no matter what weight you are, no weight will ever be good enough.

That's an EXCELLENT point. Don't use weight loss as a road to loving yourself. Love yourself now and reaching your goals will be much easier.
  • DaveHuby
    DaveHuby Posts: 175 Member
    Options

That's an EXCELLENT point. Don't use weight loss as a road to loving yourself. Love yourself now and reaching your goals will be much easier.

excellent advice. Coupled with stay close to a support network on here.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    All of the above plus journal,journal,journal.