need support

Options
I have a problem with the fact that my family loves to eat junk food and if it is around I am soooooooooo tempted. I have been trying to keep busy and not focus on what is out in the kitchen. Any ideas????????

Replies

• Firment
    Options
    I have a problem with the fact that my family loves to eat junk food and if it is around I am soooooooooo tempted. I have been trying to keep busy and not focus on what is out in the kitchen. Any ideas????????
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Discipline. And it ain't easy, I know. My better half is fond of baking and I can't eat any of it. But it's her hobby, so she bakes anyway. What is one to do? Just say No. When you think about it, think about something else.

At least don't buy your own and try to consider that what is around belongs to someone else.

It's a tough situation.
  • dinosgirl
    dinosgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Sounds like my home! (Two kids and a hubby that do not need to worry about their weight!)

My suggestions - buy some of the 100 Calorie Packs of your favorite treats. Or, make your own. If you know there are treats you will be tempted to eat, break down small portions of them and store them in baggies so when you go and reach for one, you know you are actually only eating the 1 recommended serving and not the whole box.
  • Firment
    Options
    I work the day shift and my husband works the evening shift so when he is gone I want to have him lock the frig and pantry. Isn't that pitifull. Some days I have the will power and others NOT....
  • dinosgirl
    dinosgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I work opposite shifts as well. It sucks but it works for us and our kids - no daycare needed.

Does he have a place he can store his junk food at work? That way it won't be there while your home to tempt you.

I know it's hard. When I get bored or lonely, the Oreos or pantry full of chips starts calling me.
  • Firment
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I asked my 8 year old to help me. If he sees me eating what I shouldn't he reminds me that it's not a good idea. My husband can't bring all the food we have that is bad to work. He'd either make alot of friends or be fired. LOL.......TTFN
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Try to imagine the "bad" food as poison!!! That's what I did when I lost 40lbs a few years ago. If there was something tempting me, I told myself it was poison to my body and it worked. I didn't eat it. I told everyone else they could eat it if they wanted to poison themselves but I wasn't doing it. Try it out. Or maybe you don't have to use the word poison, just something that would deter you from eating it. Poison worked for me and I think I am going to start using that again.

Good luck and let me know how it works out for you.

Charlaine
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I have the issue that hubby and kids are able to eat and eat and eat and never gain. I just started stocking the house with healthier items, but if you don't do the shopping then you have to bite the bullet and resist. I know that sucks to hear but it is true.

I have one suggestion though, don't pull the kids into your weight loss battle. Kids should have healthy options and be told no if they want to eat a lot of junk but they should not police their overweight parents, it isn't fair to the kids to lay that responsibility on them. We are grown ups that got fat because we made bad choices and now we have to be grown ups that make better choices without starting negative food and body images for our kids.

I am off the pedestal now, but that is how I feel about involving kids in your problems.
  • Critchet
    Options
    I decided to let my family know if they want junk food they will have to buy it themselves and keep it to themselves. My health has to be priority now. Most of the time I found that I was the one eating the junk food & putting it on my grocery list. Its amazing if they have to buy it themselves how little junk food come into the house.
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    This is a problem for me too...I can be very diciplined for a bit but end up giving in to the temptation.

I think I'm going to ask my boyfriend to keep his treats in his truck!

Teammate,
    Fat Dancer
  • advance4000
    Options
    Hmmm sounds familiar! I fill up on healthy stuff ahead of time like a fav fruit, protein bar(Snickers makes a decent one!) and my secret weapon....flavored water! I do one of these three and I'm good to go!
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Make it a lifestyle change for the whole family. That is what we are doing. 1st of the Year, no junk food or soda in the house. No more candy for the kids. A treat here and there. There are plenty of foods out there that can take the place of junk food and are healthy.
    Good luck to you.