Nurse with Lap-Band here to lose baby weight

Options
Hello all,
I am a 29 y/o ER LVN from California. I had Lap-Band surgery in 2005 and lost almost 100 pounds. Losing weight allowed me to get pregnant, but I was at risk for pre-term labor so I was put on bed rest at 6 months. I only gained 4 pounds the first 28 weeks, but by the time I delivered my daughter at 37 weeks I was up 90 pounds. Yes, I gained over 80 pounds in 9 weeks. The first six months after my daughter was born I only lost 20 pounds. Between the 12 hour shifts, the extra weight, and an infant at home I was always exhausted. When she was 9 months old my lap-band slipped and I had a hiatal hernia (a hole in my diaphragm). I had my old lap band replaced with a new, un-filled band. I was only able to have one fill beore my insurance changed, now I can't find a place to have more fills. I decided I need to lose this weight one way or another, and I stumbled upon MFP. I have never successfully counted calories more than 2 or 3 days, but this site makes it more convenient so I am happy to say I have logged in 15 days in a row! I also joined a gym and have begun a new fitness regimen that I am able to stick to so far. I plan to start C25K on Monday. My motivation is that I have never in my life completed a one mile run, and I can't wait to finish that goal. I usually jump in to exercising too hard right away, and end up hurting myself. This time I began slowly and so far so good. I've been lurking on the boards and love the positive atmosphere, so I thought I'd come out of hiding and say hello! I've dropped 10 pounds in the last 2 weeks and I have about 60 more until I hit my first goal. Once I get there I will probably try to lose another 20 or so, but that's all gravy! I read an interesting quote on the C25K website saying if you get fit the weightloss will come, so I'm trying to focus more on fitness than numbers on the scale. Looking forward to changing my lifestyle and setting a good example for my little girl.

Thanks for reading my novel, and I hope to see you all on the boards!

~Melissa

Replies

• PhoebeM
    PhoebeM Posts: 13
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! its all about making conscious healthy choices!
  • sslin2535
    Options
    You are a brave soul, what you did will bring great satisfaction to you later. Enjoy the process and the great result will come.
  • My Aunt also had the lap band surgery and has gained more back then she loss. The best way to loose weight Is eat healthy and exercise. I promise If you follow MFP calories ect. You will do great! Good Luck 2 you :)
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    welcome, congrats on your baby, too! I did couch to 5k and now I'm doing Gateway to 8k. Take it slow! I had to repeat week 7 for awhile but once I got through it was great.
    When it comes to diet and exercise, they go hand in hand, but most studies confirm that nutrition is the easier part:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13821677
    Good luck!
  • 2blueeyes
    Options
    Good for you taking the next step! We are here to support! Let's be friends!:smile:
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Welcome! One thing that is most helpful here is learning what calories are in food and seeing the big picture - so when you are not logging you can still figure - I should eat this not that, or this amount only, or that probably has 450 calories in it... I encourage you also to log some "fake" days just to take a look at it. If you are or were used to eating an average of about 4500 calories a day versus about 2000 take a minute and log a typical pre-MFP day just to see the numbers. It is a wake up call and will help you when you think of that when you get tempted or struggle.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K is an AWESOME program. I've tried to run before, but this is the only time I've actually managed to become a runner rather than throwing something out and giving up after a few weeks of feeling like I was going to barf up a lung every time I "ran".

There's a Motivation and Support thread on MFP for people who've had WLS. Come on over!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/107774-wls-support-and-inspirational-information
  • Kippster
    Kippster Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Well welcome to mfp :smile: you will find great motivation here!!! I am a nurses aide so i'm very familiar with the 8 and 12 hour shifts, it makes it very hard to lose weight and to get a good routine going. I'm sure you will do very well, add me as a friend if you want and we can cheer each other on.:happy: