Running to Overcome Chronic Illness - Need Support

Options
Hello! My name is Katy and I am a 25 year old clinical social worker for spinal cord injury rehabilitation patients. I just got married in June 2013 and got a puppy a few weeks ago. I love my new family and my new life! The only missing piece is my health/eating/weight/overeating junk food issues. I am here to overcome my "emotional food issues" and get healthy. Commitment!

Why I want to get in shape:
I have several serious chronic illnesses and need to be the healthiest version of myself. I have a history of childhood cancer (in remission for nine years), autoimmune disease/mixed connective tissue disease, celiac, thyroid issues, and severe digestive issues. I need to put myself and my health first - I need to stop focusing on helping the rest of the world while ignoring myself. I need to love myself enough to fight for my health consistently, 100% of the time. I have a husband and a family to fight for.

Because of my health issues, I need to be gluten free, dairy free, sugar free, and no processed foods. I need to focus on portions and NOT OVEREAT. With all the pain and struggle I have been through with my health, sometimes I turn to food instead of facing the issue. I end up overeating on a consistent basis - This needs to stop. My body needs healthy food to heal.

I want to get in shape because I have struggled to be fit and lean since cancer. I am a former college soccer player and current marathon runner - I just need to get my diet and habits in order. Any support is welcome! :smile:

Replies

• gibranholmes1977
    Options
    Good morning Katy. Sounds like you are already a strong-willed person. The is your advantage. I would say continue to use food to face the issue, but change the game. Example....I want to feel better; therefore I eat a CUPCAKE. Instead of a cupcake, try an apple, orange or a carrot. Make your "issue into a strength". If you dont buy it, it wont be in the house.

Disclosure: I am NOT a medical doctor or a profession training. Take advice at your own risk.

Gibran
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Hi Katy. Just wanted to say congrats on taking control of your health and well being. I too have a chronic illness (Crohn's disease) and understand very well the importance of doing everything you can to maintain your health, from both a physical and mental standpoint. I am also gluten free and eat limited processed foods, run regularly (completed my first full marathon this year), and do everything within my power to "feel" healthier. I realized some time ago the impact that the psyche can have on one's physical well being. It is important for me to know that I have some form of control over my body and how I feel. I have recently been struggling with a flare, so I know how "down" health issues can get you.

It sounds like you have been through quite a roller coaster ride, yet you appear to remain positive and determined. I hope you find the support here that you are looking for. Feel free to add me as a friend if you want.
  • dawsonsed
    dawsonsed Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Katy, you sound like an incredible person to have overcome so much so young. You can do this, and best of luck.
    Add me as a friend if you'd like - I'd like to follow your story!
  • RozayJones
    RozayJones Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Hi Katy! Congrats on getting married :) I was also recently married - 7/13/13 that alone can be stressful ;)
    I suffered with thyroid cancer 1 1/2 years ago and am still trying to get things under control, I also have syringomyelia or SM for short - this causes chronic pain and can make it so easy to just give up but I have devoted myself to getting better and not letting my illness take over my life. I log daily and am here for support/motivation if needed - feel free to add me :)
  • dmfay
    dmfay Posts: 32
    Options
    Hi, Katy. Thanks for sharing your story, and know that there are a lot of us out here with you. Well done on making the decision to not be a victim of your conditions. That is a great victory in itself, Katy!

I live with crohn's disease, hypothyroidism, and rheumatoid arthritis. I would love to have you as a fitness pal. Every day of life is such a gift. Let's live it beautifully! We can do this!!
  • ShinyHappyMe15
    ShinyHappyMe15 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I also have a chronic health condition (hypothroid + more). I find the days that I have high energy levels I feel the ability to continue my new lifestyle of eating better is easy to do. It's when my energy levels plummet that I find myself reaching for the "bad" stuff. This time around I'm trying to plan ahead and prepare for the time when (not if) those times happen.

You've made the first step. Take it one day at a time. You can do this!