Advocare 24 day challenge

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Stoooo - I would suggest understanding how mfp works. MFP takes in consideration your stats, then your goals for per week weight loss (I suspect its 1.5 to 2 lbs for your) and your lifestyle (to not include exercise) and comes up with a caloric suggestion. What mfp does not do is tell you if your goals are too aggressive. For example, a person with 20 lbs to lose cannot pick more than 1 lb per week. Also, mfp trust that you are being accurate with your inputs. I cant tell you how many sahm suggest they are sedentary even though they are chasing kids all day.

Unfortunately, mfp is a dumby system and picks goals based on your input. So in a way mfp is as good as the person behind the screen. This is where the forums are extremely valuable as there are many of us that can point you in the right direction and not buy into a mlm. Heck, I have designed programs that are more effective and individualized to members based on there goals and guess what.... its free. Heck if you want I can show you a thread with well over 500 responses of women who est 1800+ calories while losing weight. So I ask to you... do you think your goals are too aggressive? Or more importantly do you want weight loss or fat loss?
  • tamikas3
    tamikas3 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I started the advocare challenge today and I am wondering if those who had success on the plan ate a complex carb at breakfast and lunch? I probably have spent too much time on the internet browsing and some sites suggest you skip all carbs to get the best results and others say follow the program exactly... I am confused now and feeling a little overwhelmed. If anyone can offer some advice I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
  • nicolemarie045
    nicolemarie045 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    In the cleanse I only had a complex carb with dinner most nights. For breakfast I stuck with egg whites and fruit or a fruit smoothie and salads with raw veggies for lunch. I found that to be successful for me. The first 3 days were the hardest, but by day 4 I didnt miss the carbs/dairy as much any more. Then by day 11 you can start to get into some of that again. My suggestion would be to avoid them unless you feel you absolutely need them.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Hi
    I started the advocare challenge today and I am wondering if those who had success on the plan ate a complex carb at breakfast and lunch? I probably have spent too much time on the internet browsing and some sites suggest you skip all carbs to get the best results and others say follow the program exactly... I am confused now and feeling a little overwhelmed. If anyone can offer some advice I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

The timing of carbs (simple or complex) does NOT matter for weight loss. It's just about calories. Those who suppress carbs just lose more water weight. Keep in mind that a lb of fat requires a 3500 calorie deficit per week.
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Stoooo - I would suggest understanding how mfp works. MFP takes in consideration your stats, then your goals for per week weight loss (I suspect its 1.5 to 2 lbs for your) and your lifestyle (to not include exercise) and comes up with a caloric suggestion. What mfp does not do is tell you if your goals are too aggressive. For example, a person with 20 lbs to lose cannot pick more than 1 lb per week. Also, mfp trust that you are being accurate with your inputs. I cant tell you how many sahm suggest they are sedentary even though they are chasing kids all day.

Unfortunately, mfp is a dumby system and picks goals based on your input. So in a way mfp is as good as the person behind the screen. This is where the forums are extremely valuable as there are many of us that can point you in the right direction and not buy into a mlm. Heck, I have designed programs that are more effective and individualized to members based on there goals and guess what.... its free. Heck if you want I can show you a thread with well over 500 responses of women who est 1800+ calories while losing weight. So I ask to you... do you think your goals are too aggressive? Or more importantly do you want weight loss or fat loss?

I'm one of those ladies...:D I have been consistently losing between 1-2 lbs per week since I properly calculated my TDEE. I haven't eliminated a single thing from my diet. I simply eat in moderation.
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    I just started Round 2 yesterday. Love the way I feel already. Anyone else in their first week?
  • McGruber03
    Options
    I have a friend who asked me if he should try Advocare. I said "no", of course. (too expensive!). He spent about $400 in one month to do it anyway. So, he drank a ton of supplements, but also cut almost ALL carbs and ate only grilled foods, fruits and vegetables. So, I'm guessing he could have saved $400 and ate like that and lost weight anyway. When the 24 day challenge was up, he had lost weight. Great job!

2 months later and he's gained it all back.
  • Stooooo
    Options
    I have a friend who asked me if he should try Advocare. I said "no", of course. (too expensive!). He spent about $400 in one month to do it anyway. So, he drank a ton of supplements, but also cut almost ALL carbs and ate only grilled foods, fruits and vegetables. So, I'm guessing he could have saved $400 and ate like that and lost weight anyway. When the 24 day challenge was up, he had lost weight. Great job!

Then he really didn't change his lifestyle. He was just looking for a quick fix.
  • McGruber03
    Options

Then he really didn't change his lifestyle. He was just looking for a quick fix.

Exactly. And he could have done all of that WITHOUT Advocare. That's the only point I'm trying to make. You can get healthy without spending $400. And you can go back to your old habits without spending $400. But, hey. That's just me. If you have extra cash just laying around, go for it.
  • tamikas3
    Options
    Thanks for your response. For me I think carbs do matter some because a few weeks before Advocare I ate 1200 calories and gained 1.4 pounds. Thanks to fitness pal I tracked EVERYTHING and realized I was eating like 140-160 grams of carbs. When I dropped the carbs to like 100, I lost weight (2 pounds the next week). Now I do have a thyroid issue which I have been told makes it difficult to lose weight--who knows. I'm just trying to figure this thing out here without losing my mind in the process. I am on day 18 of the Advocare 24 day challenge and what I know for sure is I will not be doing it again. There are just too many pills for me and I don't feel right. I did lose 5 pounds on the 'cleanse' phase and I should've stopped there but I had to go sign up for 24 days so I am going to finish it. I am not sure if I am still losing weight or not because I really don't feel like I am, but I am following the plan and will weigh in on Friday... I just can't wait to stop taking all of these pills!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Thanks for your response. For me I think carbs do matter some because a few weeks before Advocare I ate 1200 calories and gained 1.4 pounds. Thanks to fitness pal I tracked EVERYTHING and realized I was eating like 140-160 grams of carbs. When I dropped the carbs to like 100, I lost weight (2 pounds the next week). Now I do have a thyroid issue which I have been told makes it difficult to lose weight--who knows. I'm just trying to figure this thing out here without losing my mind in the process. I am on day 18 of the Advocare 24 day challenge and what I know for sure is I will not be doing it again. There are just too many pills for me and I don't feel right. I did lose 5 pounds on the 'cleanse' phase and I should've stopped there but I had to go sign up for 24 days so I am going to finish it. I am not sure if I am still losing weight or not because I really don't feel like I am, but I am following the plan and will weigh in on Friday... I just can't wait to stop taking all of these pills!

Keep in mind when you drop carbs, you also drop water weight. Essentially, lower carbs will cause your body to store less glycogen/water which makes sense to what you said. But also having a thyroid issue may come with some insulin resistance. Essentially, a lower calorie diet is what is really important as those with thyroid issue, your BMR tends to be lower than most. So when you finish, start with a 1200-1400 calorie diet and do something like 30% carbs, 40% protein and 30% fats to maximize satiety.
  • tamikas3
    Options
    wow... I am sooo bummed out right now. So today I finished my 24 day challenge and I didn't lose a single pound in the so called Max Phase..not one. I lost 5 pounds in the Cleanse phase.The thing is I am not so upset about the pills working or not working but I am frustrated because I was eating super clean, documenting everything I ate and exercising. The fact that I didn't lose any more weight in the past 2 weeks makes me wonder if I am ever going to meet my goal weight again...At this point I really don't know what to do. I am going back to bed.. ugh
  • Stooooo
    Options
    wow... I am sooo bummed out right now. So today I finished my 24 day challenge and I didn't lose a single pound in the so called Max Phase..not one. I lost 5 pounds in the Cleanse phase.The thing is I am not so upset about the pills working or not working but I am frustrated because I was eating super clean, documenting everything I ate and exercising. The fact that I didn't lose any more weight in the past 2 weeks makes me wonder if I am ever going to meet my goal weight again...At this point I really don't know what to do. I am going back to bed.. ugh

I am so sorry you are bummed. My suggestion would be get back in touch with your coach and go over your plan. Maybe the two of you can figure out where you went wrong, if you went wrong (not saying you did). To be honest I lost most of my weight during the cleanse phase and maybe a pound or two during the burn phase. Have you taken your measurements and pictures? While I did not lose a lot during the burn phase I did notice a huge difference in my before and after pictures and measurements (or at least my wife and friends did). We are our own harshest critics.
  • psuLemon
    Options

How much weight are you trying to lose because 1200 calories or less is pretty low. And if you are exercising, its your body fighting you for lack of fuel. But if you want some help post your height weight age and workout routines and we can get you on a better path.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    First off you are never on your own with Advocare. Your coach is always right there to help you through. I too was carb junkie but in first 14 days of following program i was down 16lbs and 18.5 inches. It works. I am here if you have any questions :)

500x1000px-LL-d778105d_1zvesqw.gif

You had a deficit of 56,000 calories over the 2 weeks? That's the deficit needed to lose 16lbs of fat. Just NO :noway:
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Stooo you have done Slim in 6, ChaLEAN Extreme, P90X, 10 Minute Trainer, Insanity, you push shakeology and are a 'beachbody' coach and you sell advocare . . . and you've lost ten pounds. Sounds exhausting.

I ate a moderate caloric deficit over time and lost 36 pounds - hit my goal weight - and have kept it off for two years. About three years ago, under a different account, I was given some great advice by PSULemon. It was free and it worked.

I write this not to perpetuate an internet argument; in the marketplace of ideas, there is room for everything, and it's up to the readers to determine which ideas have merit and which do not. I offer some corroborating evidence that what PSULemon describes works. I contend that you yourself are evidence that your prescription does not work.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

....most people's bodies aren't READY to lose weight.

Explain please. This makes no sense.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...to learn more about Advocare.
  • tamikas3
    Options
    Thanks guys.. I had to take a break from documenting because I was just too mad.. Anyway, when I told my Advocare coach what happened she told me "that has never happened ever".. Great. I know I followed the program to the detail so I guess it just wasn't for me. Anyway, I'm moving on now. I still need to lose weight and get healthy so I just have to keep doing what I can do.. I think someone asked me about the weight I have to lose etc. I am 5'8 3/4 (yes, 3/4):smile: Now I weigh 164.5. My goal weight is 140. I am medium frame. I have always struggled with my weight but I had maintained 140 give or take 5 pounds until about 5 years ago. I am in my late thirties. Thanks for the support.
  • Stooooo
    Options

How much weight are you trying to lose because 1200 calories or less is pretty low. And if you are exercising, its your body fighting you for lack of fuel. But if you want some help post your height weight age and workout routines and we can get you on a better path.

On a different path, not a better path. No one plan is better than any other.

Also please note I don't and never have pushed anything here. I merely share what has worked for me. Have a fallen off the wagon from time to time? Sure. To err is human.