"Southern Culture" and Dieting

Options

Replies

• sassymanatee
    sassymanatee Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I understand the feeling! I'm from south east Kentucky and when my girlfriend's grandma cooks her hot browns it's hard to deny it. I think people that say it shouldn't be hard doesn't understand that in the south we fry everything and use tons of butter. I also notice that in Appalachia we're a culture of emotional eaters and can always find a reason to cook a feast with our loved ones. What has helped me the most is having a partner that is very supportive so that when her grandma offers us food we'll split it. That way we don't feel deprived, lose weight and don't insult granny!
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I'll try! It'll be challenging.
    }

As with everything it just depends how much you really want it... the weightloss, not the food.
  • Saratini76
    Saratini76 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I am a sweet southern girl, born and raised in northwest FL (Southern Alabama...lol). When faced with this situation, I usually choose one food that is "bad" but make the rest of the meal up with veggies. And for sweet tea...diabetics are everywhere. Just tell them you are watching your sugar intake so your "sugars" won't be bad when you get older. The elderly generation understand this very well.

I am a pharmacy tech in a small pharmacy and trust me, the older people are a lot more understanding when you make it into a health thing instead of a preference thing. I do wish my grandma was still alive, I crave her fried catfish like crazy!!
  • brandipoo
    brandipoo Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I feel you. Just moved back to SC after 10 years in Pittsburgh and man, the pounds came back on IMMEDIATELY (sweet. tea. is. delicious. oh. crap. 12 lbs!!!!). To be quite honest, I've ramped up the cardio and been making sure I hit 10K steps during the day. I've also become a recluse....but when I have ventured out I've taken to go boxes. That way I can trash or give away the food out of sight. Yep, it's horrible, but you do what you gotta! But sometimes you eat the food. It's a part of the culture. To combat that? Caarrrdioooo....
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    because the rest of the country is full of disgusting food?
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I'm from TN as well and as with anything you can look at it as a benefit or a crutch. Portion size will be with you regardless where you live and yes, everything is fried with sugar. On the plus side you can WALK around to your local farmers market and find the freshest, chemical free, all natural meat and veggies cheaper than anywhere in the country. Your situation is what you make of it, no excuses due to locality...unless maybe you were in jail or Siberia or some weird off the wall crap.
  • liftheavyeatwell
    Options
    Moderation is a beautiful thing. Learn it. I don't eliminate anything from my diet that I enjoy, I just know how to pick and choose my battles. If I'm going out later in the week, I'll make sure that my macros and deficit is spot on the rest of the week and let myself enjoy whatever it is that people are making out to be such a diet wrecker, like biscuits and pie. But even then, I still eat bacon and eggs on a regular basis, homemade biscuits or cupcakes almost weekly, ice cream a few times a week. I still manage to stay at a deficit and meet all my macronutritional needs. It takes some planning but this has been way more sustainable than the all or none approach I was taking when I first got to MFP.

Like Elliott said, enjoy your easy access to local produce and meat. I really took it for granted until I was in a location that only had a WalMart. Now I at least can go to a farmers' market and get locally grown and raised food, much closer to when I was living back home and everything came out of our garden or a neighbor's farm. I totally agree, locality is not an excuse, learn portion control and how to politely say no.
  • Jewel0124
    Jewel0124 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I cook at home. I have noticed that people get offended when you say you want unsweetened tea in the south though... kind of annoying. The sweet tea here.. BLEGH. It's more sugar than tea, no thanks.

I get the stink eye :grumble: when I ask for unsweetened tea. I'm headed to NC this weekend and will fully embrace the stink eye. :happy:
  • because the rest of the country is full of disgusting food?
    That's not at all what I meant. Trust me, I think food is good everywhere. People are just a little bit more pushy with food in the South. Sorry if that's what you thought I meant.
  • Thanks for all your help! I'll definitely take all of this and apply it to my life.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Only you can be accountable for yourself. It's their issue if they take offense or find it "rude" if you turn down their food offerings.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Get on a training plan that works in plenty of fork put downs and table push aways.
  • hifi898
    Options
    Maybe its just my awful northern manners, but I don't care if someone is offended by my refusal to eat their food. The problem is theirs, not mine.

Nope. Not awful Northern manners (which, btw, some of my closest and best BFFs are from Massachusetts) going on. I've lived in TN *most* of my life, and for a few years in Alabama, and am Southern to the core. HOWEVER, worrying about offending someone by not eating their food is more co-dependent, people-pleasing behavior than it is "culture" (no offense to the OP).

This type of mentality is bred into people here (women especially - be nice, reserved and lady-like, make everyone happy, be a demure, Southern 'belle' typecast) even still, and most of my friends (thank Jeebus I'm anonymous here :happy: ) see refusing to try food (or bringing a dish) at any social or family function as "impolite" or "rude". A year or so ago, I said "screw that mess" and started eating beforehand so I wouldn't be tempted. If asked, I just said that "I'd already eaten" and that sort of nipped things in the bud.

Honestly, you have to get in your head that they're not taking care of you, YOU are, and YOU need to do what you have to do to take care of yourself, even at the expense of what they may think about you.
  • danarandallreed
    danarandallreed Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have lived in lower Alabama since birth. Food choices can be difficult. However, I have learned to take some of my favorite southern foods and clean them up.

Oven fried skinless chicken
    Dry rub baby back ribs, no sauce
    Collards with lean ham
    Lima beans with lean ham
    Potato salad with light or ff mayo
    Okra and tomatoes instead of fried okra
    Lite mayo on my tomato sandwiches
    Homemade ranch with ff yogurt for dipping fresh cucumbers and squash
    Fresh peaches instead of peach cobbler
    Fresh blackberries with cool whip instead of homemade blackberry ice cream
    Iced tea with Splenda
    Red Velvet ff yogurt instead of red velvet cake

However, I have yet to find a healthy cornbread or biscuit recipe. That just has to be a splurge item.
  • SStruthers13
    SStruthers13 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    because the rest of the country is full of disgusting food?

No, but have you ever had real southern food? It's about as close to heaven on a plate as it gets.
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Love me some Southern Comfort Food!
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Bit off topic but it's so easy to make delicious food when it's deep fried and loaded with cream and butter. I have an Auntie who cooks like that and her food is delicious but she's also suffering from weight-related health complications.

It's way more of a challange to cook healthy nutritious food that is also delicious.
  • CWonder003
    CWonder003 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I live in the south and I LOVE good "homestyle" cooking, which usually means a lot of butter, cheese, and fried food! Ahh!

I always drink unsweet OR half-sweet tea, or water.

Just re-arrange the portions: smaller portions of meats, breads, and casseroles, and larger portions of veggies and fruits. Small pieces of desserts!

Some of my favorites that are not-so-bad for you:

Grilled bbq chicken

Sweet potato fries, baked in the oven

Grilled green beans with a tiny bit of parmesan cheese

Salads with oil & vinegar instead of cream-based dressings

Whole-wheat apple cinnamon pancakes

Dry-rub ribs

Deviled eggs with lite mayo (also less mayo), mustard, and a little italian dressing... just fill them up a little less with the yolk mixure

Zucchini bread made with applesauce instead of all or most of the oil

Nonfat dairy products in recipes that already have a lot of flavor... saves calories without compromising a lot of taste
  • dorthymcconnel
    dorthymcconnel Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    One of the blessings (and curses, lol!) of being in the south is the food and those who can cook it well! You can enjoy your favorites and still eat healthier. Make sure you get good exercise, watch your portion sizes, and learn to make salads and water your friend. I'm a sucker for fried food, especially if it's corn bread, but seeing the calories and fat and sodium don't make me too happy. I've learned to limit those things.
    When being with those good cooks, sample a bit, but learn to smile graciously and say thank you, but I'm full. Focus on the company, not so much the food. If you're with family or friends and you over indulge a bit, suggest a walk or some other activity that others may enjoy. And if you're like me and enjoy sweet tea, learn to limit it. A glass or two doesn't hurt, but those glasses or 5 add up quickly. :wink:
  • because the rest of the country is full of disgusting food?

No, but have you ever had real southern food? It's about as close to heaven on a plate as it gets.

I can't see it being as delicious as good sushi, sukiyaki, or a noodle house ramen...I'm not even Asian I just crave Japanese food constantly lol.

Oh, and as a native New Yorker I like my tea strong and bitter.