Calories eaten vs. calories burned ???

Options
Let me illustrate with a hypothetical:

My daily calorie goal is 1760 calories.
I eat almost exactly 1760 calories.
At the end of the night, I decide to go for a long walk and burn 300 calories.

According to Myfitnesspal, after I add my walk before going to bed it then subtracts my calories burned and then gives me a WARNING that I am not eating enough (300 too few calories) and that I will go in to "starvation" mode.

Somehow, I can't take this warning too literally. If I have ended my day after consuming the CORRECT number of calories...but I did a little exercise after, it's almost as if Myfitnesspal wants me to take a swig of olive oil (I exaggerate) or something to top off my calories before hitting the bed. To me, this sounds like a dangerous habit to start. Seems like it encourages end of the day, late night snacking.

Also, I see no evidence that the human body will treat BURNED calories in the same manner as REDUCED calories. I can't find any scientific evidence of this fact.

What do you think? How do you handle "too few" calories at the end of the day? Or do you just chalk it up as a good day?

Replies

• IouliaN
    Options
    Maybe that is not the way to go, but I disregard these warnings. If on some days I eat fewer calories - fine as there will likely be days when I exceed them. Plus if I eat something less than 3-4 hours before going to bed I gain weight no matter how I have done all day, so I do not compensate at night.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    300 calories under your goal does not sound optimal to me. The whole point of counting calories and logging exercise is to meet your calorie goals and help you lose weight in a healthy manner.

I have seen a few people who do not log their exercise calories. Some purposely set their daily calorie goals higher to meet their activity requirements, and some do not. Personally, I like to eat my exercise calories because I have found that if I do not, I am quite hungry.
  • LisaWill86
    LisaWill86 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Maybe that is not the way to go, but I disregard these warnings. If on some days I eat fewer calories - fine as there will likely be days when I exceed them. Plus if I eat something less than 3-4 hours before going to bed I gain weight no matter how I have done all day, so I do not compensate at night.

I agree with everything you said. I'm not going to force myself to eat when not hungry or when it's too late for me to metabolize it properly just because a little ticker tells me I'm "too low." Aaand it gives me an excuse for a cheat day later. ;)
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    MFP already sets a large deficit based on you not working out. Yes, they may ask you how many times you want to work out per week, but that is not figured into the calorie counts they give you because, let's face it, not everyone will stick to what they enter. So when you add additional workouts in, they want you to eat your exercise calories back because too large of a deficit can hinder your weight loss in the long run and really isn't all that healthy. If you burn around the same 300 calories each workout, you can plan that into your day in advance so you are not consuming all those calories right before you go to bed. Add in a few more snacks or something like that earlier in the day.

1700 calories does seem awfully low for a guy that is 6'2 though. I'm 5'2 and eat around 1800 - 2000 calories a day.
  • lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Let me illustrate with a hypothetical:

My daily calorie goal is 1760 calories.
    I eat almost exactly 1760 calories.
    At the end of the night, I decide to go for a long walk and burn 300 calories.

According to Myfitnesspal, after I add my walk before going to bed it then subtracts my calories burned and then gives me a WARNING that I am not eating enough (300 too few calories) and that I will go in to "starvation" mode.

Somehow, I can't take this warning too literally. If I have ended my day after consuming the CORRECT number of calories...but I did a little exercise after, it's almost as if Myfitnesspal wants me to take a swig of olive oil (I exaggerate) or something to top off my calories before hitting the bed. To me, this sounds like a dangerous habit to start. Seems like it encourages end of the day, late night snacking.

Also, I see no evidence that the human body will treat BURNED calories in the same manner as REDUCED calories. I can't find any scientific evidence of this fact.

What do you think? How do you handle "too few" calories at the end of the day? Or do you just chalk it up as a good day?

Your hypothetical isn't realistic. MyFitnessPal will not generate a warning message if you eat 1760 calories and burn 300 calories through exercise.

In real life, you have to either eat many fewer calories than that or burn many more calories than that (or both) in order to get the warning.

So, yeah, I'd take the warning that I need to reevaluate my habits. Particularly if I were getting it often (rather than on a day I was sick, for example).
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Don't force yourself to eat or late night snack JUST to get all your calories in. If you are going dangerously low that's one thing, and you might find yourself at a plateau if you don't eat enough. In that case, you can eat healthy calorie rich foods like a hard boiled egg, avocado, or nuts, which all contain healthy fats AND keep you full. But I would just leave it alone if it's a couple hundred calories under and it's not like you're constantly netting under 1000 or anything.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    duplicate
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I try to be rational. You are certainly not doing any harm to your self with a net calorie intake of 1460. That said, if you felt hungry after that walk, I'd encourage you to eat something. Simple... Good luck!
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to eat back exercise calories, go find out your TDEE and subtract at most 20%. If you decided to stick with MFP method, you better be eating those exercise calories or you're doing it all wrong.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    MFP as designed gave you a calorie deficit BEFORE exercise. That way people who can't/won't exercise will still lose weight.

The reason exercise calories are added back...... when you create really large deficits .... your body will use fat AND muscle for fuel.

Losing weight quickly = fat + muscle loss

Losing weight healthy = fat loss

What many people do ..... they "plan" on workouts. That way if they know they are going to the gym after work.... they can bump up breakfast calories ... or lunch calories .... whatever.

One thing to note .....MFP and many machines overstate exercise calories. It's good to start eating back a percent ..... then see how you feel. It's not hunger .... it's more of a run down feeling.
  • ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Your hypothetical isn't realistic. MyFitnessPal will not generate a warning message if you eat 1760 calories and burn 300 calories through exercise.

MFP gives the same goal for everyone...It treats all woman the same...1,200, whether you work out daily or none at all. It doesn't calculate anything it just sets ladies at 1,200. I am sure it does the same thing for men...everyone gets 1,700...so if the OP eats 1700 then walks, he will most certainly get the warning!

I think the trick is that you continue to loose and stay happy. The worst thing that can happen if you cut too low is that the diet becomes a "diet" and therefore, unstustainable. There will be days you are under and days you are over. One or 2 days below goal isn't going to hurt you.
  • TeaBea
    Options

Weight loss myth .... eating before bed does not cause weight gain

And it's likely not the way to go....this should be required reading for everyone here on MFP

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html

Here is some good information. Also, the larger the deficit, the more likely you will lose greater amounts of lean body mass. So do you want to lose fat or muscle and fat?

The warning is exacerbated but it holds a bit of truth. No you will not go into starvation mode (as it takes 72 hours of no calories to have any metabolic adaptation) but if you under eat for a long period, your resting metabolic rate will slow down to compensate for the lower calories. Adding exercise without more food will just increase the chances of that too. Heck, I exercise so I can eat more, I don't know why you wouldn't want to do so too. 1700 isn't much calories for a guy either. Also, when you under eat for a period of time, you will increase the chances of a plateau.
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options

And it's likely not the way to go....this should be required reading for everyone here on MFP

I second that, I eat the majority of my calories after 8pm and go to sleep around midnight. I've gotten in the best shape of my life since I started doing this almost 3 years ago.

I look at calories like a balance a monthly budget/check book.

I take my estimated calories burned over a month

Example 3,500 X 31 = 108,500
    If I want to lose 8lbs in a month I subtract (8 X 3500) = 28,000

To lose about 2lbs a week I need to consume 80,500 calories over a month or an average of 2,597 a day.

Then just eat the way you want. Late night, 6 small meals, 2 large meals, it doesn't matter.
    You can eat high days or low days, just maintain your average. I have one really high calorie day a week to give my mind and body a break from dieting.
  • IouliaN
    Options
    It does for me. Absolutely.

• lsmsrbls
    Options

MFP gives the same goal for everyone...It treats all woman the same...1,200, whether you work out daily or none at all. It doesn't calculate anything it just sets ladies at 1,200. I am sure it does the same thing for men...everyone gets 1,700...so if the OP eats 1700 then walks, he will most certainly get the warning!

Where did you get the idea that MFP treats everyone the same? You are completely wrong. It does indeed do actual calculations based on your weight, goals, and activity level. I am a woman and MFP has always had a calorie goal for me much higher than 1200 calories.

It doesn't give all men the same goal as each other, either, and it does not give all men who eat fewer than 1700 calories a warning.

Your corrections are misplaced.
  • TeaBea
    Options

Where did you get the idea that MFP treats everyone the same? You are completely wrong. It does indeed do actual calculations based on your weight, goals, and activity level. I am a woman and MFP has always had a calorie goal for me much higher than 1200 calories.

It doesn't give all men the same goal as each other, either, and it does not give all men who eat fewer than 1700 calories a warning.

Not completely misplaced........but almost

Many people want to lose weight as quickly as possible so they set really aggressive weight loss goals. When that happens MFP sets women at the lowest possible number of 1200... for men it's higher.

If I want to lose 30 pounds and set the weekly goal to 2 pounds a week ..... MFP would give me 1200. But if I set the goal to a more reasonable number ..... say 1 pound per week, then yes I will get something above 1200.

You see 1200 A LOT .... like it has some sort of "magical" properties
  • boby3333
    Options
    oops
  • lsmsrbls
    Options

Not completely misplaced........but almost

Many people want to lose weight as quickly as possible so they set really aggressive weight loss goals. When that happens MFP sets women at the lowest possible number of 1200... for men it's higher.

If I want to lose 30 pounds and set the weekly goal to 2 pounds a week ..... MFP would give me 1200. But if I set the goal to a more reasonable number ..... say 1 pound per week, then yes I will get something above 1200.

You see 1200 A LOT .... like it has some sort of "magical" properties
    I am aware that MFP won't use a number below 1200, so that number comes up a lot, particularly for people who are sedentary, don't weigh a lot, and/or set their goals to be very aggressive. You are mistaken that this minimum level is higher for men than for women -- men can also get a daily calorie allowance of 1200 from MFP given the appropriate lifestyle inputs.