Weight and under active Thyroid!!

Options
Hello! I'm 28 and I recently gained about 20 lbs due to under active thyroid that was discovered by my doctor! I'm now on medication that I have to take everyday for the rest of my life but it does not help in the "weight loss" category. I feel like my weight loss process is really slow now where as before I could eat right and exercise and I could lose weight........ Not now! Any suggestions or success stories of overcoming weight gain with a thyroid problem?

Replies

• JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism, and after being on the medicine for a bit you'll probably start to lose the weight as well as get some energy back. Just make sure you're eating right, exercising regularly, drinking plenty of water, and keeping track with your doctor. If you notice symptoms after a month such as drowsiness, (well for me its LETHARGY), and weight gain or maintaining when you should be losing, get in touch with the doctor to have it checked again!
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    It is a struggle. I have a hemi-thyroidectomy two years ago and it has made it extremely difficult to lose weight. But it's not impossible. My doctor has me eating 1800 calories a day and drinking a gallon of ice water a day. He recommends I work out 3 days a week. I'm finally starting to lose again but it is slow. I have changed my focus from the number on the scale to fitness and health goals. Good luck and don't let it get to you. Feel free to add me if you need support.
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I didn't get diagnosed with an underactive thyroid until I had gained over 40lbs in two months, plus a whole lot of other symptoms which were really bad too. Unfortunately, the weight does not come off as fast once you are on the meds.

That being said, it still can come off. It might take a little more work and dedication, but the same rules still apply. Eat at a deficit. Exercise. Eat healthy.

There are books available about a 'thyroid diet'. but they don't tell you anything that isn't already common sense. Eat healthy, more fruits and veggies, lean proteins. Avoid stress. Eat foods high in iodine and vitamin B. Some even say to avoid gluten (this seems to work for me).

Keep in touch with your doctor, as you lose weight, your meds might need to be adjusted. On the other hand, if you are trying for a period of time without success, it might be a good idea to see an endocrinologist. Sometimes the thyroid hormones that are out of balance require a more expert approach.

Good luck to you!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    It is not impossible although slower. I found exercise is more important than ever before. Good luck.
  • kfarris04
    kfarris04 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been dealing with under active thyroid for 4 years now... OHHH so frustrating. Weight gain, loosing hair, dry skin, always cold, and etc. It seems even with medicine I still don't feel like the real me. Anyways I have to agree exercise is so important for people with low thyroid. It seems a lot of people also stay away from carbs and dairy foods... Everyone's body is different... I'm still trying to learn mine completely. :)
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    It will all go once you start right pills and diet. I gained 4 stones before my GP checked thyroid. I lost now 6 stones I think
  • toni119922
    toni119922 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, some people like my mom can lose weight with her medicine. They switched mine to see if it would help, and all I had was more energy, I too have a hard time losing but the times i manage it are when I am on a strict regimen. I can only eat so many calories or I have to go work out, even when I tried Jenny Craig it took me 2 months of working out and eating that to lose 5 pounds. Stick with it and although it may be extremely slow I always tell myself I am headed in the right direction.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a problem losing with an under active thyroid. I think the most important thing, like other people have said, is to make sure you get your thyroid checked regularly to make sure you are getting the right dose of medication. Things can change with your thyroid. My medication has been increased a bit over the years and getting the right dose of meds is super important.
  • LisaWill86
    LisaWill86 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm 27 and was diagnosed with hypothyroidism a couple of months of ago. While I'm on my second round of meds (upping the dosage), I'm not seeing any direct results in the weight loss area.

I figured there probably was something up with my thyroid when I had been running for over a year, increasing my mile time from fourteen to nine minutes, and had somehow managed to not lose any weight. I'm also a clean-eating vegetarian, have been for years, so there really isn't much else for me to do diet-wise. All of this is to say... I definitely empathize with your frustration!!!

Hang in there -- I hear it gets better once you get the right dosage. :)
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I've been diagnosed with under-active thyroid for over 10 years and added Cytomel to the Synthoid to get my TSH down all the way to 2.5. You would think I would be able to get down to the weight I was before the thyroid problem started, but for some reason I can't. I lost the weight I gained to to starting SSRI no problem, but my weight loss always stalls when I get down to 205. I've tried eating more, I've tried eating less, and the scale just never moves. It's crazy. As far as I can tell, eating less just makes me use less energy by making me tired.
  • ninarobinson531
    Options
    Thanks guys this really helps! It's good to see that I'm not the only person in this struggle! I'll continue to stay dedicated, take me medicine, and most importantly have a positive outlook on weight loss!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    My friend also put on weight due to the same health issue, she has lost it all by eating a healthy diet with a calorie defiicit and working out. She looks amazing, in fact you can see for yourself as she's on the left of my profile pic!
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    You may still be under medicated. Try natural dessicated thyroid instead of $ynthroid. It works better for LOTS of people. Check out thyroid.about.com and stopthethyroidmadness.com. Pay attention to your free T4. If mine's not well over 1.0, I'm NOT being optimally treated. Trust me. At 1.5, I'm finally a functional human being. (My TSH never increases no matter how low my blood levels of T4 go. I'm kinda special and rare that way, but you get my drift...)

A lot of my thyroid weight gain was edema, i.e. water. It turned out to be wheat intolerance. Yep. A lot of us with thyroid issues cannot eat wheat whether we realize it or not. Just my $0.02...
  • Anita4life
    Options
    OP~~ I am the other side of the spectrum. For months I had hyperthyroidism and didn't know it, but I was gaining weight at a rapid weight because I was constantly starving and not the kind of starving you can ignore. The kind where people could die if you do not eat. When they finally tested my TSH didn't even show up. SO we did all the hyper stuff and brought it back down to normal range. (well according to their definition of normal range). After many blood tests we have discovered that it is Hashimotos so I will flucuate back and forth. I am currently medication free but when I came off the meds my weight spiked right back up. So I am betting all of that medication made me hypo- now. So don't stop trying, it will work but thyroid disease is something we just have to live with and overcome the best we can. Best of luck to you!
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can lose weight with hypothyroidism.....don't use it as an excuse. Be sure to visit with your doctor and make sure you are taking the correct dosage of medication.
    I've been taking generic synthroid for close to 10 years. When I made my mind up seven years ago to lose weight and get healthy -- well, I guess my doctor made my mind up -- it didn't stop me. :laugh:
    VIsit with a dietician if you need help. I went to one, thought she was a quack, tried what she said, and had a lot of success. And seven years later, I have maintained a healthy weight!
    Good luck,
    Kaye
  • BekaBooluvsu
    BekaBooluvsu Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Ive had hypothyroidism since I was 5 (almost 24 years now) when I suddenly gained 40 pounds in a month for no reason. Doctors didn't want to believe my parents but did the test anyway despite their disagreement and what do you know, I had it. For a solid year I had my TSH checked weekly because your thyroid (as a child) affects how everything develops. Since then my weight has fluctuated my whole life. I have struggled a lot. I would start something healthy and then I would quit because my thyroid would fluctuate yet again. Now, Ive got a good doctor and I am finally at a normal TSH. Loosing weight for us will never be quick but it will happen. Just keep up the good work. You can do this! Big hugs, Rebekah

By the way if you have dry skin like me, use an oil on your body after the shower. I use sesame oil but vitamin E oil works best.