Need Tips on Staying Below My Daily Calories

Options
Hi all- I have really been struggling this week with being hungry and going over my daily calories. Its super frustrating! I have a job that sometimes has me in the office working on paperwork and other times stocking books on a shelf and moving around. Its been my office days that I want to eat the most. :/ But even at home its like my stomach has been a bottomless pit.

What food do you all eat to keep full and energy? An how do you manage when you get your intake of macro-nutrients (protein early in the day, etc.)? I feel like I need someone to tell me what to eat when...argh! :(

Thanks for any suggestions!

Replies

• UncleKennyinPNS
    Options
    I tried V8, mixed nuts with success. How about a hard candy?
  • joy5877
    joy5877 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I try to eat food that is full of fiber and protein. Both help you feel full and stay satisified longer. I also try to eat snacks in between meals that are filling. Greek yogurt, protein bars, 100 calorie almond packs. Good luck. You can add me if you like to offer support and encouragement.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    1. Make sure that your calorie goal is actually appropriate for your body/activity level. A lot of people drop their calories way too low and then wonder why they're always hungry.
    2. Look for foods with more protein, fat, and fiber. These help us feel fuller and more satisfied.
    3. Drink plenty of water.
    4. Give your body some time to adjust. It's used to sending you hunger signals based on how much and how often you used to eat. It will eventually catch up and figure out that those aren't necessary anymore.
  • ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I agree with Diane - you need to open your diary so we can see what you are dealing with...also...height, weight, goals, age. I know when I was trying to cut down too much all I could think about was what I COULDNT eat...once I increased my calories a bit I found I could satisfy the tape worm in my belly with a LOT of lable reading. I take forever to grocery shop now...no one in the family will go with me! LOL...

I will say that staying away from carbohydrates in the evenings really helps me...i am a carb fanatic and if I eat a decent meat/veggie dinner witout the rice or potatos, I seem to stay full longer and it really cuts the cravings. Not that carbs are "bad", it's just personal preference to load them up in the morning. Carbs REALLY make me feel hungry soon after eating.

1. Oikos yogurt dips are AWESOME - 50 cals for 2 tablespoons - with 1/2 cup of snap pea pods...or make your own yogurt dip!
    2. Two Applegate Farms organic uncured hotdogs with spicy brown mustard - these are the best hot dogs I have ever eaten
    3. Baba Ganouj...google it. Lebanese eggplant dip - you can buy it ready made in some organic markets too. Again, 4 tablespoons for 50 calories with some pea pods or baby carrots.

check out my diary for a few other 200 calorie snack combos...I am the queen of snacks! Good luck!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I've had this struggle for a long time. Oddly enough, I just lowered my goal from 2000 to 1800 and am doing really well. I am totally opposed to gimmicks and fad diets but my friend sells a supplement (no weird crap in it) and has lost 30lbs. Obviously, it doesn't make you lose weight but is an appetite suppressant, gives me energy and makes my mood generally happier. I started taking it and notice that I get full after normal size serving and have no desire to eat more. I also quit snacking and stay full between meals.

Obviously I can't take it forever but even when I don't take it for extended periods of time, I still feel full. My point is, give your body enough time to get used to smaller meals and it will get easier. If you can get through a week and give your body time to adjust the next week will be that much easier.

It's a habit, just like any other.
  • csr3426
    csr3426 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    As someone who also works long hours in an office, I've learned that often when I think I'm hungry, I'm actually bored or thirsty. For the times I'm truly hungry, I make sure I have a stash of fruits and veggies nearby (grapes, carrots, and celery are my typical go-to's), but before I eat, I make sure that I'm drinking a bunch of water and addressing the boredom (random exercises that I can do in the office out of sight like squats or wall sits or finding a random distraction). Good luck!
  • rayraex
    Options
    I cook most of my meals with skinnytaste.com recipes. That way, I am eating filling meals that I am used to eating without feeling like I am dieting, but the recipes are healthy and delicious!
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    1. Make sure that your calorie goal is actually appropriate for your body/activity level. A lot of people drop their calories way too low and then wonder why they're always hungry.
    2. Look for foods with more protein, fat, and fiber. These help us feel fuller and more satisfied.
    4. Give your body some time to adjust. It's used to sending you hunger signals based on how much and how often you used to eat. It will eventually catch up and figure out that those aren't necessary anymore.

These are good suggestions, all of which are part of my plan and keeping me satisfied and losing weight.

Also, you can bulk up the amount of food that you eat (those satisfying proteins, fats, and fiber), with other foods that aren't as calorie dense...

For instance, I'll add shredded zucchini or cooked beets and onions to hash browns (about 1:1). I get twice as much food and hardly any extra calories. I add cups of mushrooms, onion, zucchini, spinach (low calorie bulk and a little fiber), for instance, to an egg white omelet (protein), a small amount of cheese (fat and protein). Even with a cup of regular ol' hash browns, it's under 300 calories and really satisfying.

Yesterday, I wanted a piece of bread and butter, so I had it, but I also ate a bowl of beets (I never knew I liked beets so much!!) that was leftover in the fridge because I knew my treat would taste good (and it did!), but wouldn't fill me up. I might just slice up a couple of tomatoes with salt and pepper for a snack or to go with whatever...

If I have a chicken sausage, I'll cook a bunch of onions, mushrooms, and peppers with it. I had a really good baked pork chop my friend made the other night, added corn on the cob and spaghetti squash to round out the meal and still leave myself some calories after our early dinner. Yesterday, I wanted a piece of bread and butter, so I had it, but I also ate a bowl of beets that was leftover in the fridge because I knew my treat would taste good (and it did!), but wouldn't fill me up. I might just slice up a couple of tomatoes with salt and pepper for a snack. If I want a little peanut butter, I might have it in a smoothie with a little fruit and some veggies or on an apple, carrots, or celery.

I like variety and I like food. I don't go hungry. lol You'll find lots of things that work for you if you stick with it. And your body will start getting used to the new arrangement, too. Hang in there! :)

Edited for spelling
    Edited again to eliminate retarded repetition
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Yep to all of these. Only thing I would add, would be maybe try logging your food the night before to get your macro balance and fiber intake just right. It makes for less impulsive eating and makes grocery shopping simpler too.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Get a job, working in a restaurant, or food processing. Guaranteed, to make you think twice, about what you eat.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options

These are good suggestions, all of which are part of my plan and keeping me satisfied and losing weight.

Also, you can bulk up the amount of food that you eat (those satisfying proteins, fats, and fiber), with other foods that aren't as calorie dense...

For instance, I'll add shredded zucchini or cooked beets and onions to hash browns (about 1:1). I get twice as much food and hardly any extra calories. I add cups of mushrooms, onion, zucchini, spinach (low calorie bulk and a little fiber), for instance, to an egg white omelet (protein), a small amount of cheese (fat and protein). Even with a cup of regular ol' hash browns, it's under 300 calories and really satisfying.

Yesterday, I wanted a piece of bread and butter, so I had it, but I also ate a bowl of beets (I never knew I liked beets so much!!) that was leftover in the fridge because I knew my treat would taste good (and it did!), but wouldn't fill me up. I might just slice up a couple of tomatoes with salt and pepper for a snack or to go with whatever...

If I have a chicken sausage, I'll cook a bunch of onions, mushrooms, and peppers with it. I had a really good baked pork chop my friend made the other night, added corn on the cob and spaghetti squash to round out the meal and still leave myself some calories after our early dinner. Yesterday, I wanted a piece of bread and butter, so I had it, but I also ate a bowl of beets that was leftover in the fridge because I knew my treat would taste good (and it did!), but wouldn't fill me up. I might just slice up a couple of tomatoes with salt and pepper for a snack. If I want a little peanut butter, I might have it in a smoothie with a little fruit and some veggies or on an apple, carrots, or celery.

I like variety and I like food. I don't go hungry. lol You'll find lots of things that work for you if you stick with it. And your body will start getting used to the new arrangement, too. Hang in there! :)

Edited for spelling
    Edited again to eliminate retarded repetition

Just realized I still left most of that repeated paragraph. lol My braaainn...! Sorry.