How fast/long could you jog when you were 220+lbs?

Options
2»

Replies

• 35feeling25
    35feeling25 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I like the outside walking as well. I started on the treadmill, but when I walk now a few miles twice or three times a week, I end up having fun and not so much looking at the calories the machine says I have lost. Being outside is very enjoyable and you can change up your workout. I do the eliptacle or treadmill if I go to the gym with friends. I would say do whats comfortable for you but still push yourself for improvement and set small goals to get where you wanna be :)
  • FitFunTina
    FitFunTina Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm 239 (at 5'9"), and on week 4 of Couch to 5k.

Like others have said, I run at a speed comfortable for me...which is between 4.2 and 4.3 mph. It is still a challenge to complete each day. (Five minute runs are my longest interval at the moment. ugh.). I'm a snail, but I'm running.

Work on the duration, then work on the speed. Do what is comfortable to you to be a challenge, but not make you want to give up.
  • mancunianpoodle
    mancunianpoodle Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    this thread has really been interesting for me to read and take on the advice, so thank you.

I am 247lbs and 5'6" and I have been thinking of giving walk/jogging a go.
  • pensfan1
    pensfan1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Assuming that you're just starting to do cardio, somewhere around 3.5 is good. I started at 233 (5'5", 30 y/o female). I'm down 20 lbs. When I walk outside, I try to keep between a 3.0 and 3.5 pace for 2.5-3 miles. The distance for me varies based on how many hills I deal with.

On the treadmill, I started out at 3.0 for the first week or so and went up to 3.5 after that. I'll kick it up a little here and there, but even after a few months there's no way I could do 5.0 for any length of time. I've also found that increasing the incline but keeping the speed the same provides a great workout.

I tried to start c25k about 2 months ago, but I'm so out of shape that I couldn't do the intervals. I'm trying to build up a good walking base before I try to run. Don't lose motivation if you can't run yet...you'll get there!
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I know, I think I can run like a superhero (not wonderwoman), much to the amusement/shock of bystanders, bus, and/or train drivers.
    As, I approach a respectable speed of about 6mph, for some strange reason, my eyesight get so focused on my goal, that I fail to see any small dips, stones, fences, gates, dogs, kids, and even lampost, in my way. I blame this from years running on threadmills, so that when I attempt, to run outdoors, I am incappable of avoiding objects, as I so obviously, have failed to excersize the muscle groups, that enable me to stear, whilst running.
    My knees, elbows, and chin, have taken to the tarmac, on several occasions, and at my age, I should know better, and stay away from running outdoors.
    Anyone, who uses a threadmill, at home are in no danger. Aren't they?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    how long can you stay at 5mph for? at the moment im huffing and puffing bad at 1 min :(

I have about 40 pounds left to lose, and I do that pace for 40 minutes at a time.

BUT....had to work up to it over about six weeks. Used the "Learn to 10k" program to get there.
  • xoAmburrox
    Options
    When I started MFP, I was 235lbs. I NEVER went running, E-V-E-R.
    Now when I'm at the gym, I put it on level 3 (which my understanding is 3mph) and its a fast-paced walk. Not a jog by any stretch. I do this for 30 mins and I'm definitely sweating, but it's not too much to handle.
    I've also now taken to using the Nike+ Running App when I go for walks outside. The measurements are slightly different, and I'm still getting used to it, but I found myself being able to slowly do more and more. I ran (yes, RAN) more yesterday than I have in a very long time.
    My advice: Don't push yourself too hard.
    The fact that you, and most of us, are making even a small change can make a world of difference. And the last thing you want is to be discouraged by thinking you're not doing enough, or you hurt yourself but doing too much to start. Once your body starts to get used to being active, it WILL get easier.
    Just don't give up! :flowerforyou:
  • Skye_NS
    Skye_NS Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    The c25k program is fantastic. It helps you to start off slowly and builds up your endurance over 9 weeks. You can find lots of info about c25k through Google if you're interested. There's lots of apps, podcasts and websites dedicated to it. This is the one I liked best: http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k-plan.aspx. I run with an ipod instead of a phone so the podcasts are perfect for me.

When I started (also in the 220+ range) I struggled at first. Luckily, I found an awesome support group on here, Couch to 5K Running Program (C25K), who gave me the best advice: "If you're out of breath, slow down. If you think you're already going slow... go slower! You should be able to talk (or sing) while you run." They also warned that it may feel like you can walk faster than you can run at first... :) It's okay, speed really does come later.

Best of luck with your running!
  • BetterKimmer
    BetterKimmer Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I was 237 and started with slow jogging back in Feb. 5mph as long as I could. Do not remember how long though. Now I run as fast as 7.5 mph at times.

But try this because it will help; Run 1-2 min as fast as you can and then 3.5 mph for 1-2 min to bring your heart rate down, then repeat as often as you can for 30-40 min. Don't be discouraged if you struggle at first, just keep going. After several attempts you can begin to go faster and/or increase incline of ramp to challenge you more.
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    At 215 or so, I ran a couple of ten mile races. I walked just long enough to grab some water at water stops every two miles. I think I ran the second one at a 10:55 pace.

But...when I started...I was probably running at a 15:00 pace. And couldn't "run" more than a minute or two. Within 5 months Ic ould run ten miles, no problem. Run as slowly as you need to keep going and the speed will come naturally.
  • hmjohnson25
    hmjohnson25 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I cannot run on a treadmill! I don't know what it is, but my body cannot figure it out. And I remember trying to run at 5 mph and there's no way I could sustain that pace. So, when I started running, at 250, I did Couch to 5K outside. I love that program. Like others have said, it eases you into it and you start to find your own pace. There's no shame in walking when you need to or slowing down if your body needs it. I had to repeat a few weeks of the C25K program because I just wasn't ready to move on. Do what you need to do to be successful at it.
  • Mugster111
    Mugster111 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree that running outside is much easier than on a treadmill. I just get so bored staring at the same thing for a half an hour or longer, and staring at the numbers on the treadmill can drive me crazy. I've always played sports (rugby, hockey) but endurance running was always really hard for me. When I first started running outside I would set tiny goals for myself, like run to the next tree or mailbox, then walk a bit but pick another goal for where I will start running again so I don't walk for to long. I've been able to build up my run to a continuous mile, but I don't know if running will ever be my thing.
  • sdreed25
    sdreed25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    It's all relative to fitness really. I've seen people well over 220 lbs completing 10km and marathon races, if you train but eat a ton you'll be fit but still overweight........ so really it's how far can you run for your current fitness level. And the answer to that is how far you can run now, keep adding to it 0.5k or 0.25 miles each session, any time it's tough repeat and then push on the session after that.
  • nordeast_yah
    Options
    Heavyweight male here (6' 0", started c25k at 320, down to 290 now).

My "jogging" speed is about 4.1mph, and I just finished W5D3 which is 20 min straight.

I can't say enough good things about graduated programs like C25K (also 100pushups, etc).

Babysteps will get you to where you can do more.

I couldn't even start C25K at week 1 -- I had to do week -2, week -1, then week 0.

Just keep at it and you will truly shock yourself doing more than you thought you ever could.
  • cyngorman
    cyngorman Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just started working out like a month ago, on the treadmill I started at 2 for about 45 minutes and that was hard. I have been able to maintain this and have slowly worked it up to 3 for 45 minutes. I think it depends on the person and what works best for you. Good luck to all of us!
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Weight is not sufficient for determining how fast/long a person can run. I started running at 250 lbs and worked up to completing a 5K in about 40 minutes, weighing about 240. That was still faster than my wife who weighs 130 and cannot run a mile. I started running about a year and a half ago - today I weigh about 205 (still heavy for a runner) and regularly run 15-20 miles on my long runs. My 5K time is 29-30 minutes.

Use a program like Couch to 5K. Worry about completing a distance (such as a 5K) and worry about speed afterwards. It will come as you get better running, you will run faster as you lose weight. Run outside where you won't be locked into picking a speed. Run a speed that is comfortable for you.
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    It's all relative to fitness really. I've seen people well over 220 lbs completing 10km and marathon races, if you train but eat a ton you'll be fit but still overweight........ so really it's how far can you run for your current fitness level. And the answer to that is how far you can run now, keep adding to it 0.5k or 0.25 miles each session, any time it's tough repeat and then push on the session after that.

What he said...it's all relative to fitness. I started off about 250 (even before coming back to MFP in August), but for my size was in decent fitness shape and was able to get right to running intervals on the elliptical. I definitely had to work my way up to running longer stretches, but if you take it in small increments, it'll actually come quicker than you think. Keep pushing on and you'll get to places/goals you didn't think possible! Good luck!
  • joannadalina
    joannadalina Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I weigh 218lbs, 5'6 and can jog consistently for about 45mins - 60mins at least 3 times a week. Average pace ranges anywhere from 13-15mins / mile. Not a speed runner by any means, I run for the distance.

best of luck :)
    Joanna
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'm 211 and jog at 4.5mph. Very very slow I know but I keep increasing the time. I started out at a minute. Before long I was doing 5 minutes. I eventually got to 11 minutes and then in the space of 2 weeks quickly increased to 18 mins. I'm now at 24 minutes of continuous jogging which I am super proud about. Basically I set the timer on my treadmill for 45 mins, walk the first and last 5 mins at 3mph then just jog and walk brisky as much as I can the rest of the time and aim to always try and increase the distance I cover, even if it's only by 0.01 of a mile.
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Considering I was running the entire time I was gaining weight, I can't fairly answer this. I ran a half marathon (13.1 miles) at an average of 13 minutes per mile pace (4.8 on the treadmill) when I was at 226 last summer. This summer, 10 pounds less, I ran the same race at a 12 minute per mile pace (5 mph). I'm currently at 214 (though I have a lot more muscle and have lost more inches than pounds) and I run for 3 miles, an average of 5.7 mph or 10:31 per mile pace. It all depends on where you are and how much you think you can push yourself. Just be safe when increasing your mileage otherwise you increase your risk of injuring yourself. Do what feels comfortable to finish a workout, speed will come later.