Which is more important?

Options
Hey there!. Was wondering if anybody can help me out on my question. In order to get the amount of calories I need per day, I go over on Protein, Sugar and Sodium. If I reduce everything to get everything under "my" goal, my calories suffer and I need to put calories back in.....but then the sugar, sodium and protein go back up.

What should I do in this case?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    A lot of us believe that MFP's protein default is set too low and have changed our protein goals to something closer to 30% of our intake. I would never worry about going over MFP's protein numbers.
  • Princess_Lee2013
    Princess_Lee2013 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I agree with this - the protein is too low and you should not worry at all about going over on it. If you don't like seeing the red mark you could also log some physical activiity each day, even just walking or whichever and it lets you consume more protein that way. I would aim for a minimum of 65-70 g of protein. Hope this helps!
  • KBear68
    Options
    I have my protein set to 30%. It works well for me.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Yup. Mine are set to carbs: 40% protein 30% fat 30%

I've yet to stick to them, but hey no one's perfect. :wink:

Also - you can change your macro settings and deletes sugar so it is included in carbs (it is a carbohydrate, after all) and track something else instead - I track fibre.

The MFP settings mean your sugar quota is bust after two bananas. Or, in my case, two Snickers bars.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Hey there!. Was wondering if anybody can help me out on my question. In order to get the amount of calories I need per day, I go over on Protein, Sugar and Sodium. If I reduce everything to get everything under "my" goal, my calories suffer and I need to put calories back in.....but then the sugar, sodium and protein go back up.

What should I do in this case?

Agreed, no worries on going over protein if you're using MFP's standard - that's more along the lines of daily recommendations, not a limit.

As far as sugar goes, same idea, especially as there is no segregation between natural sugars and refined sugars. If you're getting most of your sugar from natural sources like fruits, veg and whole grain and/or you don't have a medical issue that requires you to limit sugars, don't worry about it.

Sodium can be an issue if you have a family history of heart disease but if you're active, drink plenty of water and get enough potassium to offset your intake, it may not be a problem. This one is easier to control IMHO as you can cut out some packaged/processed foods or go for low sodium versions.
  • newbeginning82
    Options
    Thank you SO much everybody!. You have all really helped. I figured that was the case but wanted to make sure :)
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Definitely get more protein than MFP automatically sets. And if you're getting more sugar, don't worry about it too much. MFP counts all sugars exactly the same, but as long as your carbs aren't high, you should be fine in that area.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Eat more fiber and fat.
  • newbeginning82
    Options
    Nope carbs are good :). I played around with it a little bit and got everything but sodium and sugar under the goal. The sodium i'm not too worried about though because I used to eat way more than I am eating what my diary says, although I do have a history of heart disease in my family so I will definitely pay attention that that and see if I can get it down :)
  • Shellz31
    Shellz31 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other comments, and wanted to add that if you wanted to lower sugar (refined of course) and sodium you can do so by simply looking for foods that are low in both and low calorie. Vegetable and legumes are low in both. It's just a matter of trying new food combinations. But if you choose not to worry about them, that's fine too!