Wheat-Free Diet

I started a wheat-free diet about three weeks ago and have seen a 9 lbs weight loss. I have had more energy as well. I don't mind the wheat-free however I still see baked goods and breads that look so good but have actually had the will power to stay away from them which has been difficult in the past. My husband was the one who wanted to do it and he morphed it into a wheat-free, low carbs, and dairy-free diet. However I am sticking to the just the wheat -free part of it. Some times it makes it a little difficult as he wants me to morph my diet with his but I feel it would be to strict for myself. He works a full time job and I am a stay-at-home mom and a student.

I have a couple of questions though. Has anyone else been on this diet? If so, what results did you see or feel? Was it pretty easy for you to make this drastic change?

Replies

• c_tap77
    c_tap77 Posts: 189 Member
    My doctor put me on a gluten free diet for a little over a year to see if it would help some of my digestive problems. I lost 30 lbs while I was on it, mostly because I couldn't eat a lot of the foods that tempted me before (pizza, cookies, donuts, etc)

When I stopped eating that way, I gained all of the weight back...but that was only because I binged on all of the stuff I'd stayed away from for so long!!!! Now I'm back to watching my portions WITHOUT cutting the wheat out and the weight is coming back off again.

My best advice to you if this isn't intended to be a permanent diet change is to be careful when you do eventually start eating wheat again because it's soooooo easy to binge on all the yummy goodness you haven't been eating.
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Go on this diet ifyou can live like this for the restof your life. If you can, go for it. If not, don't eat as much.
  • I eat mostly gluten/grain free. Not that I don't indulge from time to time, but when I eat it I usually get bloated and lethargic and just feel awful so I try to stay away from it. I didn't do it to lose weight. I did it for health issues. I also workout a lot and eat lots of veggies, lean meats, healthy fats. I can tell you that removing the stuff "most of the time" has been beneficial to me. I don't crave it as much and I'm just finding it easier to continue a healthy lifestyle, but I can't give it credit for all my weight loss. ;)
  • Pet03
    Pet03 Posts: 38 Member
    I have felt better and seen that I am more active since about week two. I have also seen some other changes such as my skin, cravings, and other things. My father has type II diabetes and I think I was starting to seen signs of having it but never went to the doctor to find out. Some of those symptoms have gone away which is nice. I think much of my concern is developing diabetes, and other health issues as well as being overweight. I have been trying to loose weight for two years and have had a problem with sheer will power. I would get mad and binge on breads and sweets but I really have not had the sweet cravings as much. It is nice. I am thinking it is also helpful that my husband is doing this with me because he finally had gained to much weight as well. I hope this does last and I find the will power to do more workouts.
  • impattybee
    impattybee Posts: 1 Member
    Hi everyone. I am starting my wheat free eating plan today. I know it will be difficult because I love bread and pasta but I just HAVE to do something. My mom and stepdad went wheatfree and lost over 50 lbs each in a very short time. I wonder about breakfast because I usually bring something to work to eat. I am never hungry when I first wake up. I need something I can bring to work with me and put in the refrigerator and microwave if I need to. Any suggestions? I thought about grits and cooking them ahead of time. Does anyone else eat grits on their wheat free plan?
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Hey Guys!

You ready for a long wall of text?

Firstly, I do NOT recommend a wheat free diet to everyone. I went on a gluten free diet three years ago due to actually having a gluten intolerance, NOT to lose weight.

You NEED to consult your doctor first about doing this. Being on a gluten free diet when you are not gluten intolerant can lead to the development of a intolerance!!! This means that you could MAKE yourself gluten intolerant if you do this long term!!!

Over anything, I suggest just watching portion sizes. Eat what you want, but portion it out and track your nutrition...that's probably the best long term way to lose weight. But if you are set on being gluten free, I say go for it short term, but beware that the instant you go back to your old eating habits the weight comes right on back.

So...there are lots and lots of options for all your meals. After a while you will learn to spot the gluten free items in your local grocery stores, for your quick breakfasts and such. Remember the old trick, look at the ingredients!!!!! If you see wheat, rye, barley, it's not gluten free!!!!!! Since you aren't gluten intolerant, you are probably fine with items that have "processed on equipment that also processes wheat products."

Patty:

Some of my instant go-to items for breakfast:

Oatmeal (yes, boring but you can flavor it up with dried/fresh fruits or nuts! maybe some cinnamon and honey! I eat it everyday to get my flaxseed/cholesterol lowering stuff for the day, plus it keeps me full for hours.)

Chex cereals (corn, rice, cinnamon, are the flavors I know are gluten free. Pair it up with skim or soy vanilla milk and there you go!)

Fruit and Yogurt (get your favorite fresh fruits and cup them up and put them in a healthy yogurt, cheap and quick parfait!)

And yes, there are certified wheat free grits out there so you can have grits! (stay away from the butter though, that defeats the calorie lowering purpose)

Also just to mention, a really good brand for quick on-the-go gluten free treats is Glutino.
    Glutino makes breakfast bars, poptarts, and crackers that are all gluten free! I can find them in harris teeters and food lions.
    Another quick treat if you have no time to make food is to get the gluten free Luna Protein bars (chocolate chip and peanut butter are the flavors but they say GF on the back) and Think Thin is another brand that has mostly gluten free energy bars.
    And for frozen meals, Amy's Kitchen brand has a REALLY good selection for quick microwavable and delicious foods.

HOWEVER, the largest benefit from being on a diet like this is it almost forces you to make your own food.
    This is time consuming, but VERY GOOD because it teaches you to cook in a healthier way and really brings creativity into the kitchen! You'd be surprised at how many of your own favorite recipes can be adjusted to be gluten free, and even MORE surprised at how good the new foods and dishes you try are. :]

And I highly recommend getting a kitchen weighing scale for your food so you can portion out exactly of how much of each ingredient you use when cooking, it makes keeping track of nutrition SO much easier!

If anyone has a question about this, feel free to message me and I'll do my best to give you some more info!