High Protein, low fat food help

Options
2»

Replies

• mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I don't really "get" protein powders - I prefer to get my nutrition from "actual" food items that I can see (or guess) their plant/animal origin.

Chicken/turkey are the go-to's for lean protein, eggs (eat the WHOLE egg, they contain excellent nutrition and in fact the yolk contains more protein per g than the white), or venison is lower infat than beef but can be used for similar dishes.

Or you can use lean beef mince, but brown first then drain in a sieve over a bowl before continuing with the recipe.

And as others have said, beans are excellent. If you have a slow cooker you can make a really nice cassoulet - I soak a mixture of beans overnight (flageloet, borlotti, anyhting!) then drain, rinse and dump in the cooker. Add a couple of tins of diced tomatoes, chopped onions, any other veg you fancy (carrots, potatoes, peppers) then brown a few sausages under the grill (this gets rid of a lot of fat)- you can use a few different "gourmet" ones, add herbs and seasoning and cook on low for 6-8 hours.

Freezes well, and is even better the next day, and makes LOADS.
  • pollyineedtobeskinny
    Options
    People who are saying beans, do you mean like canned beans?
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Fage 0% greek yogurt - 10g protein per 100g and 0g fat, 3g carbs. Tastes amazing too!

My current favourite snack is a pot of this with a scoop of vanilla protein powder in. Around 35g of protein right there. Absolutely amazing.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    get them lean meats
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Low fat dry pressed cottage cheese. Best non meat protein bang for your calories. 55g serving size, 50 cals and 11 grams protein.
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    You can use the liquid egg whites in a carton - add to smoothies for extra protein, virtually fat-free. Just check your ingredients to make sure they don't have any funky stuff added.

Add raw egg whites to a smoothie?
  • raiderzara
    raiderzara Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    You can use the liquid egg whites in a carton - add to smoothies for extra protein, virtually fat-free. Just check your ingredients to make sure they don't have any funky stuff added.

Yep! You won't taste them in there, and they add a good amount of protein and no fat.
  • kenziberry
    kenziberry Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    FISH :)
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options

Yep! You won't taste them in there, and they add a good amount of protein and no fat.

I wouldn't be as concerned about the taste as I would be about getting salmonella. I'll stick with cooked egg whites.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

I wouldn't be as concerned about the taste as I would be about getting salmonella. I'll stick with cooked egg whites.

1/30,000 chance in getting salmonella from a fresh egg, even less from egg whites in a container as they're pasteurized.
  • luticiaf
    luticiaf Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I just received a tip from an mfp friend today to caution beans/lentils, as they are high in carbs. i'm not saying don't eat them, as they do have a lot of benefits, just keep it in mind. I just had a lovely bean soup for lunch.....

i agree with the tuna post, and that thick greek yogurt, if you can take it:)
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast
    Tuna/tilapia/cod/haddock/halibut
    Egg Whites
    Protein Powder (I like Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard, best bang for your buck IMO; 120 calories, 24 grams protein, 1 gram fat, 4 grams carbs)
    Low-fat Cottage Cheese
    Skim Milk
    Sandwich meat (just watch the salt content)
  • dnak17
    dnak17 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Bump. Just so I can find this later without having to search.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Yes beans have carbs, but if the op is requesting low fat then carbs aren't an issue.

Calories come from carbs, fat or protein.

If you want P with low F then the C can be higher.

Cottage cheese, egg whites, Greek yoghurt, shrimp and white fish.