NEW NEW NEW

Options
Hi all,

I just bought a new 'basic' heart rate monitor. Nothing fancy, was about $45.00, got the usual alarm, stopwatch, calorie counter.
I have a couple of questions. While using this yesterday, I found that I have been undercalculating the amount of calories that I burn when I exercise (usually go by what machines say which of course I know have not been the most accurate anyway).
My HRM showed that I burned off about 150 more calories than what was shown on the machine!
Okay, so obviously I would be going off of what my HRM shows, but I have a question. Since my heart rate is obviously still UP after Im off the treadmill, at what point do I stop counting the calories from that workout? When it goes back to my resting heartrate? Is there a certain percentage that I reach when I no longer count them towards my daily workout? Or should I just stop the count when I step off the treadmill?

Your responses will be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• losergirl78
    Options
    I don't know if I'm doing it right, but I stop at the point I stop working out. I figure if I'm still burning for a little while after that it's an extra bonus and it's much easier to track.
  • BMW6Series
    Options
    I always trusted my heart rate monitor more than anything else, since it was connected directly to me.
  • springgrl
    springgrl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I usually stop as soon as my body is starting to relax - usually around 100 bpm. That is usually no more than a minute or so after I stop working out.
  • dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I agree w/ Losergirl. I hit stop the second I step off the treadmill. And like she says, anything above and beyond is a bonus or cushion that I set for myself incase my INTAKE cals are a little off. Probably won't mess up your totals one way or the other but I tend to underestimate burned cals and round up eaten cals.

Good luck!
  • bpayne78
    bpayne78 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'm another person who stops my HRM when I stop working out. I do Insanity and Turbo Fire and as soon as the cool down is done I stop my HRM. It's just a convenient time to stop it and I don't have to keep watching it to see for a certain percentage/HR and possibly lose track. The afterburn of those two workouts continue for a lot longer than the workout so I'm getting a large cushion that I don't count.
  • Jennili7
    Options
    Hello! :) I saw a video that said after a cardio workout we continue to burn a elevated number of calories for up to 24 hours after the workout! I LOVE IT!!! I don't have a HRM so I just go by what the machine says which means that when I stop moving it stops counting burned calories. I like to think that if I had a HRM I would do the same. I like the thought from above where you just consider it an extra little bonus. :flowerforyou: HAPPY CALORIE COUNTING!!!!!
  • jrlenig
    jrlenig Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I stop mine when I am done working out, after my cool down and if my heart rate is till up then great!
  • Arianna86
    Options
    Where did you buy your HRM?
  • jrlenig
    jrlenig Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    The first one I got was manual from Wal-Mart within my budget like 25 dollars, I just got a Body Bugg for sweetest day, my manual HRM pretty accurate though, I got mine off of ebay for 99 dollars. Kind of wish I didn't seems like a little bit of waste