Vegetarian needs high protein low fat recipe ideas x

Options
:bigsmile: Hi I am on the Herbal life diet and loving it the only issue I have is eating enough protein which is hard work being a veggie. If anybody has any snack or meal ideas and recipes I would be eternally grateful x thank you x

Replies

• vlmay1955
    vlmay1955 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a lot of meat so I tend to have the same problem. If you eat dairy (depends on the type of vegetarian you are) add whey protein powder to yogurt, cereal, oatmeal, etc. It comes in lots of different flavors and you can get it at all the big discount stores like Wal-Mart, Target, etc. Also nuts are a great source of protein and I add nuts to a lot of what I eat. They do have some fat though so you can't go overboard.
  • lalilalu
    lalilalu Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat meat and manage to have a pretty decent amount of protein every day. I get this mainly from eggs, cottage cheese, yoghurt, peanut butter and tofu. There is so much you can do with these foods, you can make loads of sweet or savoury dishes or just eat them plain.
  • egh1974
    egh1974 Posts: 147
    Options
    Are you ovo-lacto? Greek yogurt!
  • ecka723
    ecka723 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Okay, here's my list of protein-filled foods. I know it can be hard being a veggie and getting the right nutrients. I'm on my second month, and am struggling a little to get all my macros in. Assuming you're lacto-ovo vegetarian, these will work for you.

Nuts and dried fruit
    Greek yogurt - with honey, fruit or I have even mixed in a small amount of peanut butter or nutella
    Eggs
    Cheese
    Nut butters and fruit/crackers/pretzels
    Milk
    Protein shakes/smoothies - many ways to do this. I once had a friend use flavored 'dessert' tofu found at the Asian market to make smoothies. Pretty good!
  • gemstone83
    gemstone83 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What about chickpea burgers

1 x can of drained and washed chickpeas (400g tin)
    1 x grated zucchini
    2 x grated carrots
    1 x small tin of sweetcorn (140g undrained weight)
    1/2 x cup of wholemeal flour
    1/2 x onion
    4 x eggs
    1/2 x cup of low fat milk
    Various herbs to taste

Mash or food processor the chickpeas, add the onion raw, frozen or cooked (I have done it various ways and it works). Then add the other ingredients and mix with a spoon. Then take 1/4 cup fulls of mixture and dry fry to create burgers. Great hot of cold and keep for a few days.

Also I like lentil loaf and can post a recipe if you want?
  • rachelmuscle
    rachelmuscle Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm vegan but there are a few companies that I highly recommend. BeyondMeat has chicken tasting strips that taste so good I fooled a few people :) Also Qorn makes chicken free nuggets and all kinds of stuff. BeyondMeat is my favorite, no cooking, tastes great and is non-GMO, low fat and high-protein :)
  • floop1207
    floop1207 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm vegan but there are a few companies that I highly recommend. BeyondMeat has chicken tasting strips that taste so good I fooled a few people :) Also Qorn makes chicken free nuggets and all kinds of stuff. BeyondMeat is my favorite, no cooking, tastes great and is non-GMO, low fat and high-protein :)

is beyond meat vegan? i know quorn isn;t but i don;t think beyond meat is available in the UK.
  • pocketmole
    pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    beyond meat is vegan, and i don't think you can buy it anywhere outside of whole foods yet. (edit: apparently you can buy it in other stores, but i don't think it's available outside of the us yet: http://beyondmeat.com/stores/)
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    This link will help you on your way for understanding protein values and food combinations...

http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/articles/plant-food-protein-chart.pdf
  • gemhas79
    Options
    Brilliant thank you all so much you have been really helpful, will def be trying these out and Im a lil intrigued by the dessert tofu lol x x:flowerforyou:
  • gemhas79
    Options
    Hi gemstone that would be great if you could post the recipe for lentil loaf I'd be really grateful x
  • veggiemary
    veggiemary Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I snack on edamame...lots of protein. I'm a vegetarian and it is hard to get the required protein. :-)
  • ecka723
    ecka723 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Brilliant thank you all so much you have been really helpful, will def be trying these out and Im a lil intrigued by the dessert tofu lol x x:flowerforyou:

It wasn't bad! It was definitely interesting, but that was long before I became a vegetarian. I could only find it in the Asian market by my house, but here's the link for the company. I would personally recommend the coconut or the peach/mango!

http://www.sunrise-soya.com/soy-products/sunrise-tofu-dessert.php#peach-mango
  • tiddlebit11
    Options
    Go to fatfreevegan.com theres HEAPS of recipes on there!
  • rachelmuscle
    rachelmuscle Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Beyond meat is vegan...