The 'skinny fat' issue and maintaining..

Options
13»

Replies

• balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Thanks lin6704 and kdiamond for the replies, I see where your coming from. :) Think 80/20 is the best approach, not going to cut out anything I certainly can't maintain for life, trying to live a healthy lifestyle here but not defy myself completely. Maybe just be a bit more aware as I work on toning up.

How many body sites did you test? And who tested it? It doesn't seem accurate from the pictures. 112lbs at 23% would put you at 25lbs of fat and I don't think you have that. Train hard and strict diet should get you ripped in 4 months.

Useful links:
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bf/
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/mbf/
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/cbbf/

I tested it from these calculators, and also tested an average of the 3 and have been getting between 22-24 most of the time. Perhaps i'm off but I had myself at about 82lbs of lean muscle and with 25lbs of fat this isn't too far from my actual weight, i'm not fully accurate with figures but I have been hitting 80g of protein daily to retain my muscle I think I need to up this now as much as I can.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Just curious those of you that have dropped bf%/currently doing strength training how are your diets, is there anything you've cut out?

Reason i'm asking is because of the strength training classes I'm currently doing our instructor sent us a guide to go on as such and it is quite strict on cutting out foods such as breads, i'm taking an 80/20 approach with this...where possible trying to hit 80% whole, nutritious foods and 20% for those days i have treats or foods that wouldn't be considered as healthy.

I didn't cut out any foods. However I don't eat them in the same *quantities* as before. Some people get really zealous about don't eat this, don't eat that.... a lot of it has no basis in science, and even the bits that do, you don't actually have to have a perfect diet.... you have to eat less than you burn off to lose body fat, and you also have to eat enough of all the nutrients that your body needs. Bread is good for you, it's currently fashionable to hate on it. It's quite calorie dense though, so it's easy to overeat if you eat a lot of bread. But if you are careful about staying within your calorie and macronutrient goals you can eat bread. The 80/20 approach is good.... I tend not to think in percentages, instead I start off with eating foods that are going to give me the nutrients I need (protein, fat, carbs, vitamins, minerals, fibre, water) and then have whatever I like with whatever calories are left over (when I'm tracking.... I'm currently not tracking so not staying within a calorie goal but I stop eating when I feel full, and focus on giving my body nutrition first, then anything I want after that)
  • Trapwolf
    Trapwolf Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Great post. You Look great and I had these same questions too.
  • balancedbrunette
    Options
    ^Thank you.
    Just curious those of you that have dropped bf%/currently doing strength training how are your diets, is there anything you've cut out?

Reason i'm asking is because of the strength training classes I'm currently doing our instructor sent us a guide to go on as such and it is quite strict on cutting out foods such as breads, i'm taking an 80/20 approach with this...where possible trying to hit 80% whole, nutritious foods and 20% for those days i have treats or foods that wouldn't be considered as healthy.

I didn't cut out any foods. However I don't eat them in the same *quantities* as before. Some people get really zealous about don't eat this, don't eat that.... a lot of it has no basis in science, and even the bits that do, you don't actually have to have a perfect diet.... you have to eat less than you burn off to lose body fat, and you also have to eat enough of all the nutrients that your body needs. Bread is good for you, it's currently fashionable to hate on it. It's quite calorie dense though, so it's easy to overeat if you eat a lot of bread. But if you are careful about staying within your calorie and macronutrient goals you can eat bread. The 80/20 approach is good.... I tend not to think in percentages, instead I start off with eating foods that are going to give me the nutrients I need (protein, fat, carbs, vitamins, minerals, fibre, water) and then have whatever I like with whatever calories are left over (when I'm tracking.... I'm currently not tracking so not staying within a calorie goal but I stop eating when I feel full, and focus on giving my body nutrition first, then anything I want after that)

Thanks for the advice, I am being a lot more watchful of my macro intake - making sure to hit the protein especially. Trying to do this in a way that is sustainable for life. :)

For those of you that started doing a programme from home is a barbell with plate weights and various dumbells enough for now or should I really be investing in a power rack and bench....have all you got this gym equipment at home?
  • stephaninicole
    stephaninicole Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Up your protein and do more ab exercises. BUT depending on how much you WERE before the journey--some girls have stretched their skin out and need to have some removed IF THEY CHOOSE.. But I would certainly work on my ad exercises DAILY.

First off, you do not need skin surgery...that is just crazy! Add strength training! Maybe a gym membership and a session with a personal trainer, it could change your body and your life :)
  • balancedbrunette
    Options
    ^thank you. :)

For those of you that started doing a programme from home is a barbell with plate weights and various dumbells enough for now or should I really be investing in a power rack and bench....have all you got this gym equipment at home?
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    You look great, I looks like it is just your shorts that are doing that to you.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    You can start with a barbell/plates/dumbbells but you won't be able to go real heavy on the squats/deads until you have access to a rack, I joined a really cheap gym, $15 a month, has everything I need. Seeing as I use it 5x a week it is a good investment. I have a barbell with plates and several dbs of various weights at home that I will use if I can't get to a gym, you can do different lunges and goblet squats with dbs, but until you have a rack you can't do back squats, which are pretty much the best exercise all around (and believe me I hate them) LOL
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    EAT FOOD, LIFT WEIGHTS and theennnnnnnnnnnnn

CALORIE DEFICIT, LIFT WEIGHTS, Mix In HIIT/Cario

and thennnnnnnnnnnn

Start Over
  • sperocras
    sperocras Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    really? did you look at her pics?

skin removal?!

JohnHeaddesk.gif

John! Stop it! Don't you remember how much that hurt?!
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    You look great already, start lifting weights and you'll be happy with the progress.
    [/quote]

Agreed! Lift and it will change your body! You look Great and weights will enhance your shape;-)
  • msneave
    Options
    I think you look great at 23% but if you wanted to get down into the lower end of fitness range bodyfat 21% or higher end of athlete range bodyfat 17-20% then the best thing to do is do high intensity intervals with your own bodyweight or moderately heavy dumbbells that still allow you to move very quickly through the exercises. Perfect example of that would be 8-12 reps or 30 seconds on 6-7 exercises that target the largest muscles groups then repeat as many rounds as you can for 20-25 min. no longer than that then go do your cardio after that. 2-3 weeks you WILL see a major difference in bodyfat if you're exercising with intensity and eating super clean meals most of the time. Some great exercises for this are:

squat thrust to high kick
    inverted press
    alternating jump lunges
    alternating lunge row
    alternating side plank knee in
    run in place high knees
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Up your protein and do more ab exercises. BUT depending on how much you WERE before the journey--some girls have stretched their skin out and need to have some removed IF THEY CHOOSE.. But I would certainly work on my ad exercises DAILY.

:noway: :huh:

The OP is NOT a candidate for skin removal surgery. Did this person even look at the pictures!!?!?

OP, you look fantastic. Keep lifting and eating at or just under maintenance and you will LOVE the strength you gain and the way you look.

Yep, what a ridiculous thing to suggest
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    at 23% body fat you are not remotely skinny fat.
    the amount of fat you are carrying is right in the middle of the healthy range, and having a small amount of fat on your abdomen as you do is normal and healthy and nothing to be concerned about
    QFT!
    The rest of the post too, but especially above. If you look in the mirror and think you're "skinny fat," I think you need to clean your mirror.
  • Bearbrat
    Options

skin removal?!

JohnHeaddesk.gif
    I love this!!!! LOL
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options

skin removal?!

JohnHeaddesk.gif
    I love this!!!! LOL

There are a lot of Nerdfighters in here!! I like it!! DFTBA!!
  • balancedbrunette
    Options
    You can start with a barbell/plates/dumbbells but you won't be able to go real heavy on the squats/deads until you have access to a rack, I joined a really cheap gym, $15 a month, has everything I need. Seeing as I use it 5x a week it is a good investment. I have a barbell with plates and several dbs of various weights at home that I will use if I can't get to a gym, you can do different lunges and goblet squats with dbs, but until you have a rack you can't do back squats, which are pretty much the best exercise all around (and believe me I hate them) LOL

Thanks for advice, actually checked out my local gym the last day and actually think its worth joining for full access to all the equipment and keep the barbell/dumbells for home exercises.
  • balancedbrunette
    Options
    I think you look great at 23% but if you wanted to get down into the lower end of fitness range bodyfat 21% or higher end of athlete range bodyfat 17-20% then the best thing to do is do high intensity intervals with your own bodyweight or moderately heavy dumbbells that still allow you to move very quickly through the exercises. Perfect example of that would be 8-12 reps or 30 seconds on 6-7 exercises that target the largest muscles groups then repeat as many rounds as you can for 20-25 min. no longer than that then go do your cardio after that. 2-3 weeks you WILL see a major difference in bodyfat if you're exercising with intensity and eating super clean meals most of the time. Some great exercises for this are:

squat thrust to high kick
    inverted press
    alternating jump lunges
    alternating lunge row
    alternating side plank knee in
    run in place high knees

Thanks very much for the advice, actually going to strength classes at the moment and we were doing the 30 seconds of several exercises withint 20/25 mins the last night.

Also thanks everyone else for your comments/helpful advice, really grateful!...now off to train haha! :)