Calories from strength training?

Options
rsj206
rsj206 Posts: 36 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
I noticed today that when I enter my strength training workout under Exercise, it doesn't seem to count as a workout - it doesn't go toward my daily workout goal or get calculated as calories burned. What gives? Is there a setting I have to change?

Replies

• Jill_with_a_G
    Jill_with_a_G Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    If you look under cardio and enter strength training, you can enter the length of time you lifted. It will give you some credit for calorie burn
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    Sucks, don't it? I use an HRM to track calories burned and even if you enter that... no dice. I just use another service to track workouts and it syncs with here, but only calories and not excercises.
  • rsj206
    Options
    Thanks...guess I'll try to estimate!
  • rsj206
    Options
    Thanks! Better than nothing I guess.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I know. I have a Bodymedia Fit and it gives me diddly squat for weight training calories burned. :sad: I guess an underestimate is better than an overestimate. :ohwell:
  • thesifter
    thesifter Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    If you look under cardio and enter strength training, you can enter the length of time you lifted. It will give you some credit for calorie burn

It's pretty inaccurate because there are so many variables, But I use it too. At least you are recognizing some calories.
  • emmaskye15
    emmaskye15 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Im a bit weird about logging strength training. I know that im doing it but count my cardio and any cals burnt from strength training is an extra blessing :)
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    everyone said I couldn't count strength calories, funny, my hrm records them fine. My heart rate does not go really hi, but goes betwween 110-134. I just record them in the cardio section
  • retrobyte
    retrobyte Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    If you are training with high enough intensity (minimal rests between sets, supersetting, etc) so that your heart rate is up then you are definitely burning calories. Personally, I think the estimates in MFP are pretty good.
This discussion has been closed.