Are you Losing 1 lbs per week? If so …. How do you feel?

Options
I’d love to hear your stories on how you feel from day to day, and week to week. What I’d like to know is do you feel famished? Underfed? With constant cravings? Hungry all the time?

Or does it feel like you aren’t even on a diet, because your deficit is so small, it only creates a loss of 1lb per week?

After much trial and error, I think I finally found a caloric intake that will make me shed 1 lbs per week. I’ve read a lot on MFP, and the consensus is clear, slow and steady is the way to go. This usually means losing 0.5 to 1 lbs per week as something that is both safe and sustainable.

But now I’m beginning to wonder what “sustainable” really means. When I’m on a calorie deficit that makes me shed 1 lbs per week, I don’t think it is something that I could keep up for a long period. I start to feel cranky anywhere from 4 to 8 weeks. Is that how the rest of you feel?

Are there any folks out there that were able to lose 1 lbs per week for 6 months? 12 months? Without really feeling like you were on a deficit? I always felt that anyone who tried to lose more than 2 lbs per week was just going to temporarily crash, take a dieters break, then start up again, because the deficit was just too big. And that somehow, those who were taking it slower could sustain a deficit for long periods without any ill effects.

I know part of the answer is going to revolve around daily intake and the types of foods you eat. Let’s say, someone that eats 2500 cals per day and can still lose 1 lbs per week is going to feel less deprived than someone who has to eat way less just to lose 1 lbs per week.

Looking forward to the feedback on this one. thanks.

Replies

• KatAdele
    KatAdele Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I eat about 1900 calories per day and with exercise 6 days a week average a 1 lb a week loss. That is an average though, some weeks are better than others. I rarely feel hungry and if I'm really hungry I eat. One day going over calories a bit isn't going to make a huge difference. It's the general trend that matters. (in my opinion anyway)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Eating around 2500 cal/day, losing 1.5 lbs/week. Don't often feel hungry, usually feel quite full.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Goal is 1825, I average about 4 hours of exercise a week and lose a touch over a pound a week. Not hungry or tired or fatigued.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I started in January and have been at it consistently with no "diet breaks" or "cheat days". I generally exercise 4-5 times a week and have always eaten around 1500-1800 calories a day (although occasionally I go over in calories a bit, no biggie). I usually lose 4-5 lbs a month. My daily calories are currently set at 1750. I eat all of the same foods I ate before, just a little less of them. And I do tend to fluff up my meals with lots of veggies, because 1) I really like veggies and 2) I really like eating. lol

I don't think of it as a diet at all. I'm never hungry/cranky/tired because of my lifestyle change. I literally do plan to do this for the rest of my life.

If you're feeling hungry/deprived, just make sure your deficit isn't too big. Make sure you're getting lots of protein, as protein will help you feel more full and satisfied. Allow yourself to fit treats into your calorie goals, bump up the volume with more low-cal foods if you want to eat a larger amount, and drink lots of water. :smile:
  • Ignaura
    Ignaura Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot. Never feel hungry or tired, feel very energetic. My goal is supposed to be 1,300, but since I base my food intake on macros and not calories, it really changes. Last two weeks I've lost 2.5-3lbs per week. Exercise 5 to 6 times a week, 3 days of cardio and 3 days of weight lifting...
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I lost just over a pound/week for 6 months. My net calories were in the region of 1600-18000/day during that time.

I felt hungry all the time. Unless it was the first hour or two after having a meal, I was thinking about my next meal or just food in general. I'd cruise the snack and cookie aisles in grocery stores like they were red light districts. The only exceptions were the days I'd run 10+ miles and burn off a boatload of calories that I could, in turn, eat back. Those higher gross calorie days kept me sane.

Yes I was frequently tired and cranky.

I was eating less than I was burning. My body didn't know I was just trying to fit into smaller clothes. It thought there was a shortage of food and it tried to motivate me to go seek more food by whatever dirty means possible.

I took it as a given that I'd feel hunger.

In hindsight, I should have incorporated a couple of extra diet breaks where I ate at maintenance for a week or two.

Maybe it's just me. I'm trying my first bulk now and still feel hunger even though I'm now consuming 2400+ calories every day. At least the food fantasies have stopped!
  • caly_man
    caly_man Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I lost just over a pound/week for 6 months. My net calories were in the region of 1600-18000/day during that time.

I felt hungry all the time. Unless it was the first hour or two after having a meal, I was thinking about my next meal or just food in general. I'd cruise the snack and cookie aisles in grocery stores like they were red light districts. The only exceptions were the days I'd run 10+ miles and burn off a boatload of calories that I could, in turn, eat back. Those higher gross calorie days kept me sane.

Yes I was frequently tired and cranky.

I was eating less than I was burning. My body didn't know I was just trying to fit into smaller clothes. It thought there was a shortage of food and it tried to motivate me to go seek more food by whatever dirty means possible.

I took it as a given that I'd feel hunger.

In hindsight, I should have incorporated a couple of extra diet breaks where I ate at maintenance for a week or two.

Maybe it's just me. I'm trying my first bulk now and still feel hunger even though I'm now consuming 2400+ calories every day. At least the food fantasies have stopped!

I can totally relate to your answer.

what really threw me off was how I felt during my initial weight loss. I was eating the same back then (Feb,March,April) and never felt hungry, famished, or for that matter, like I was even on a diet. Perhaps all the extra reserves I had back then + my daily intake made it much more comfortable than it feels now.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I can only speak for myself of course, but when I start to get frustrated or start to lose focus, I take a diet break. Just a few days, or maybe even a week.

I still log my food, but I don't worry so much about exercising. I set a restart date, for example, today is Wednesday so I will restart Sunday. When I start back, I find I am more focused and ready to get going. I am fully recommitted to weighing, measuring, and logging everything, as well as committed exercise schedule.

I've been logging full-time since January. I've taken two breaks so far of 3-4 days each, getting ready to take another. I've lost around 20 lbs and about 25" total. So this works for me very well.

ETA: Also something to keep in mind that sustainable does not mean that you will keep losing 1 lb a week forever. Once you reach your goal, you will gradually add back calories to make your deficit smaller each week until you are at your maintanence. Once you get there, you will be sustaining your loss.