Sugar vs. Fat

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I myself go with the full fat version. When I eat yogurt, I want to enjoy it and full fat just tastes better. Less chemicals too since, when they remove the fat, they add a bunch of other **** to make it taste good.

Oh no not chemicals!
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Just do these three things:
    1. Eat enough protein (it's fine to go over your protein target)
    2. Eat enough fat (it's fine to go over your fat target)
    3. Stay under your calorie goal

If you haven't set your macros yet, check out this link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/911011-calculating-calorie-macronutrient-needs?page=1#posts-13821336

/thread
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I myself go with the full fat version. When I eat yogurt, I want to enjoy it and full fat just tastes better. Less chemicals too since, when they remove the fat, they add a bunch of other **** to make it taste good.

Oh no not chemicals!

Fine, you eat the chemicals smart *kitten*. More full fat yogurt for the rest of us who know better.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

Oh no not chemicals!

Fine, you eat the chemicals smart *kitten*. More full fat yogurt for the rest of us who know better.

If full fat yoghurt doesn't have chemicals in it, I fear for society.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Oh no not chemicals!

I doubt he needed/wanted your permission to eat the chemicals, honestly.

But hey, more chemicals for the rest of us. Chemicals are delicious. Why, all of my food is made of chemicals!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Oh no not chemicals!

By your logic of less chemicals = better, HFCS is better than the chemical stew of organic honey. Same with table sugar is better than a piece of fruit due to chemicals
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    cut the sugar...it will not only make you fat, it will kill you. sugar causes more problems in our society then cocaine. this is a fact. there is so much research out there about this, the public just needs to be re- educated about it. No more then 10% of your calories should be made up of sugar - and that includes 'natural' sugar found in milk, fruit and veg.

This is lunacy.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    cut the sugar...it will not only make you fat, it will kill you. sugar causes more problems in our society then cocaine. this is a fact. there is so much research out there about this, the public just needs to be re- educated about it. No more then 10% of your calories should be made up of sugar - and that includes 'natural' sugar found in milk, fruit and veg.

Um.... :noway:
  • paleojoe
    Options

Oh no not chemicals!

By your logic of less chemicals = better, HFCS is better than the chemical stew of organic honey. Same with table sugar is better than a piece of fruit due to chemicals

What on earth are you talking about my man? I am talking about the chemicals they put in low fat yogurt to make it palatable.
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options

Oh no not chemicals!

What on earth are you talking about my man? I am talking about the chemicals they put in low fat yogurt to make it palatable.

Chemicals in non-fat yogurt??? Mine doesn't.

Trader Joe's 0% fat Plain Greek yogurt.
    2 ingredients : Grade A pastereized skim milk, live and active cultures.

Same thing with Pavel Russian Yogurt
    www.pavels.net
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options

Not necessarily so. In yogurt, less is best. Some companies add stuff. some don't.
    Try Pavels Russian. Trader Joe organic. Stonyfield.

http://ebrandaid.com/dairy-foods/is-your-favorite-yogurt-really-healthy/

Look for a short ingredients list.
    Stick with low-fat or nonfat varieties – you save fat and calories without sacrificing taste.
    Make sure the words “Live and Active Cultures” are printed on the container – and the more the better.
    Avoid labels that say “heat treated after culturing” – this kills the active cultures.
    Avoid front labels that say “light” – this is code for calorie-free artificial sweeteners like sucralose, aspartame, and acesulfame potassium
    Avoid highly processed sweeteners like high fructose corn syrup.
    Avoid preservatives like sodium citrate, potassium sorbate, and tricalcium phosphate.
    Avoid cheap fillers like modified corn starch and kosher gelatin.
    Avoid artificial colors like Red 40 and Blue 1
    Bonus ingredients that are not must-haves, but are nice-to-haves:
    Inulin – a natural dietary fiber.
    Organic milk – you’ll take in fewer antibiotics and pesticides than non-organic milk.
    Fortified with Vitamin D

Note: Plain yogurt varieties are your best bet. You’ll get more calcium and more protein, and take in less calories than the flavored varieties. However, if sweetened yogurt is preferred, look for varieties that have fruit on the bottom and are made with only all-natural sugar.
  • paleojoe
    Options

Oh no not chemicals!

Chemicals in non-fat yogurt??? Mine doesn't.

Trader Joe's 0% fat Plain Greek yogurt.
    2 ingredients : Grade A pastereized skim milk, live and active cultures.

Same thing with Pavel Russian Yogurt
    www.pavels.net

I have tasted that yogurt and I personally do not like it. If you like it, more power to you. That is not what the op was asking though.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Neither is better or worse, eat which you prefer. Fat doesn't make you fat & sugar doesn't make you fat. Excess energy consumption makes you fat.

Well since many people are quoting the nonsense about sugar being more evil than cocaine, I got this one. It's more to the point of the OP it is as informative as the demonization of sugar is entertaining.

I became pre diabetic while consuming nearly 0 percent carbs. I later became diabetic while going back to eating all the food groups. My blood sugar has been going done while staying on the eating all the foods plan, but at the same time reducing my calories. Bottom line I think it's the over consumption of calories that pushes blood sugar up and your body doesn't care what macros you are over consuming.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I like to slather my fat with sugar.
  • paleojoe
    Options

Oh no not chemicals!

I doubt he needed/wanted your permission to eat the chemicals, honestly.

But hey, more chemicals for the rest of us. Chemicals are delicious. Why, all of my food is made of chemicals!

No he thought he was being funny. I was giving my opinion, if you don't agree fine. I don't care what you eat.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Oh no not chemicals!

Confirmed for not knowing what a chemical is.
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    read Good Calories Bad Calories for insights on sugar, carbs and fat. that's your best authority. there's a free pdf of the book on the internet. good luck. generally limiting sugar/carbs is healthier than simply avoiding fat. Sugar/Carbs convert to 'fat' in the body. Fat peculiarly doesn't. tends to get digested. Those who feel calories are just calories are simply incorrect.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Anyway, to answer the OP, I personally prefer both.

What's important is to get the right number of calories, and enough fat. I'd suggest you go for the full fat stuff since it tastes better and things that taste better make you happier.
  • paleojoe
    Options
    Neither is better or worse, eat which you prefer. Fat doesn't make you fat & sugar doesn't make you fat. Excess energy consumption makes you fat.

Well since many people are quoting the nonsense about sugar being more evil than cocaine, I got this one. It's more to the point of the OP it is as informative as the demonization of sugar is entertaining.

I became pre diabetic while consuming nearly 0 percent carbs. I later became diabetic while going back to eating all the food groups. My blood sugar has been going done while staying on the eating all the foods plan, but at the same time reducing my calories. Bottom line I think it's the over consumption of calories that pushes blood sugar up and your body doesn't care what macros you are over consuming.

Yes, yes and yes...
  • paleojoe
    Options
    Anyway, to answer the OP, I personally prefer both.

What's important is to get the right number of calories, and enough fat. I'd suggest you go for the full fat stuff since it tastes better and things that taste better make you happier.

Another big yes to this as well...