Has anyone successfully bulked on a strength program?

Options
I'm doing mostly 5-8 reps at this point, because I want to increase strength.

Has anyone here successfully bulked following such a program for a few months? I'm not sure if it's sustainable long-term without increasing reps. But I prefer doing what I'm doing at this point.

Thanks.

Replies

• j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I made gains doing 5x5 for compounds lifts with higher rep ranges for isolation movements. Instead of increasing reps for my compounds, I increase the weight over time.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    Every single time I've bulked, the compound lifts are in the "strength" rep range, higher rep for assistance.

In saying that, I also use the same scheme for cutting just a bit less volume.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I think that as long as you are not doing 'purely' strength training (that is 1-3 reps and long recovery times) you will definitely be building some muscle along with strength.

I have seem quite a few people start with a 5X5 based program, then adding accessory and/or assistance work as they feel more comfortable and build more tolerance. That is what I am doing too.

You will almost certainly add some muscle size doing a program based on 5-8 reps, doing something you enjoy and can stick to is the best basis for any program!
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    This is a picture of olympic lifter Lü Xiaojun's back:

Rq8RBqa.gif

Does that answer your question? :wink:
  • dimam13
    dimam13 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    check out the stronglifts 5x5 program...first program i followed (and still do a 5x5 for the compounds) i tried since i committed to the gym for longer than 3-4 weeks. I started the program in Jan and hit goals I've had for a very long time by April/May.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I'm doing mostly 5-8 reps at this point, because I want to increase strength.

Has anyone here successfully bulked following such a program for a few months? I'm not sure if it's sustainable long-term without increasing reps. But I prefer doing what I'm doing at this point.

Thanks.

as long as you continue to increase the weight you are using over the same rep range, you will get stronger and bigger. You don't have to train in the 'hypertrophy rep ranges' of 8-12 to gain muscle.
    Every single time I've bulked, the compound lifts are in the "strength" rep range, higher rep for assistance.

In saying that, I also use the same scheme for cutting just a bit less volume.

same.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Nowhere as near as much as a high volume bodybuilding routine.