advice on running outside

Options
hi I'm Mary, Ive been on here a few years now, I'd lost 23lb then gave up smoking last year and put on a stone, this year I completed the moonwalk (a 26mile/42k walk throughout the night for breast cancer) which re-ignited my interest in exercise. Ive since joined a gym, I do classes, boxercise, circuits, and have 1 PT session a week. I'm trying to eat clean but often go off the beaten track! Anyway the reason for this post is, I tried to do the C25K got to about week 3 then gave up! I tried again but in the gym on the treadmill, I can now complete the 5k on the treadmill in about 40 mins, not fast I know but it's a start! but my question is why do I find it so hard to run outside? I tried this morning and could only manage a few minutes without feeling out of breath and like I couldnt carry on, so I alternated walking/slow jogging and managed 15 mins, any tips? any apps that would help with the pace? or any advice from runners would be most appreciated thanks

Replies

• ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Running outside is different from on the treadmill. My advice is to just get out there and take it slow. You have to build your endurance first before worrying about speed. When you do run on the treadmill set your incline to 1 to simulate outside running.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Run slow. A lot slower than you think even if it's at a walking speed you should be able to hold a conversation. Speed will come in time
  • GymPoet
    GymPoet Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I understand that, for a treadmill to mimic the outdoors, it should be set at a 1% incline at least. So perhaps you are experiencing that your treadmill is flatter and therefore "easier" than your neighborhood?
  • jaxCarrie
    jaxCarrie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Running outside is different from on the treadmill. My advice is to just get out there and take it slow. You have to build your endurance first before worrying about speed. When you do run on the treadmill set your incline to 1 to simulate outside running.

^^^.....don't worry about your speed, slow down so that you can complete it.
  • marylou1976
    marylou1976 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    thanks for the advice , I'll try the incline tomorrow, I felt like I was realy slow outside but maybe I do need to go slower, Ive signed up for a 5k "santa run" in December so I best get cracking!
  • rsimoneau1
    rsimoneau1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Run slow. A lot slower than you think even if it's at a walking speed you should be able to hold a conversation. Speed will come in time
    This. Like anything else, you will need to build up over time.

Also, be aware that there are other factors that may/may not hurt a little over time from running outside. For instance, on road running, you will have knee issues. Most of those issues will come because of the slope of the road. You see, the roads peak in the middle and slope downwards towards the sides so water does not pool in the center of the road. What does this mean for you?

It means your feet never actually land flat/level, they will always be landing at an outward angle. Try to alternate sides of the road.....
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    hi I'm Mary, Ive been on here a few years now, I'd lost 23lb then gave up smoking last year and put on a stone, this year I completed the moonwalk (a 26mile/42k walk throughout the night for breast cancer) which re-ignited my interest in exercise. Ive since joined a gym, I do classes, boxercise, circuits, and have 1 PT session a week. I'm trying to eat clean but often go off the beaten track! Anyway the reason for this post is, I tried to do the C25K got to about week 3 then gave up! I tried again but in the gym on the treadmill, I can now complete the 5k on the treadmill in about 40 mins, not fast I know but it's a start! but my question is why do I find it so hard to run outside? I tried this morning and could only manage a few minutes without feeling out of breath and like I couldnt carry on, so I alternated walking/slow jogging and managed 15 mins, any tips? any apps that would help with the pace? or any advice from runners would be most appreciated thanks

so many great things you have managed! congrats on the smoking cessation is huge for a start!

Please don't give up with c25k..I attempted and failed it FIVE times before finally making it count and ran a full marathon less than a year later!!!

My advice to you would be to take c25k OUTDOORS..but before you do that

1. Get yourself fitted for proper running shoes
    2. Get a decent c25k app and perhaps start c25k either from scratch or half way in, seeings as you can already run it on a treadmill.
    There are lots of free apps for c25k, but I paid for the 'ease into 5k app by bluefin.
    3 Running outdoors is a different ball game, and one which is so much more fun and rewarding..just forget about your pace or speed and just focus on the distance
    4. Join a c25k support group on here, there are so many people with the same goal as you that you can mutually support and encourage
    5. If you are really struggling, why not get a friend to join in with you?

Just don't give up!
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I agree with all said above especially the run slow - it is way easier to keep a pace on a treadmill since really you don't, the treadmill does, so just keep tellingyourself to relax and focus on your breathing not your pace

If you are interested in tracking your outdoor running I like to use runkeeper, it is a free app that you put on your phone and through GPS it tracks where you go, how fast, how many calories you burn and some more stuff too. It is now linked with MFP so it will automatically put your workout into MFP for you if you sync them. That is one idea, alot of people like HRMs too, I can't really give any advice on that since I have never had one.

Best of luck on your new running adventures, I think it you make some advancements in outdoor running you will really learn to love it,I know I do!
  • Angimom
    Angimom Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    bump for getting off the treadmill
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I too find running outside more difficult than the treadmill (the treadmill is now a joke when I have to use it since I’ve forced… yes forced myself to run outside) due to a lot of things. The treadmill helps move your feet for you, there is no incline, the treadmill is bouncy (this you’ll notice the more you run outside), and there is wind resistance (which you’ll come to love when you’re really sweating).

My suggestion is to just get outside and do it. You’ll be slower and you won’t be able to go as far at first, but the more you do it the better you get.

Also, my trick was to start the C25K over again at week 4 and exclusively run it outside. My pace outside will always be a little bit slower than the treadmill, but it’s so much more enjoyable.
  • learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I'd set the incline to about 3.5 to mimic outside. I'm still shuffling, but my distances have increased. have fun!
  • KMasz
    KMasz Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Also, be aware that there are other factors that may/may not hurt a little over time from running outside. For instance, on road running, you will have knee issues. Most of those issues will come because of the slope of the road. You see, the roads peak in the middle and slope downwards towards the sides so water does not pool in the center of the road. What does this mean for you?

It means your feet never actually land flat/level, they will always be landing at an outward angle. Try to alternate sides of the road.....

You sound like a Civil Engineer! I like it!

When I run on a treadmill, I always set the incline at 1 or 2, but still find it difficult to run outside. I think part of it has to do with the fact that when you are running on the treadmill you aren't actually pushing your body forward, you're just moving your legs (in a sense). But when you run outside you need extra force to actually make your body go somewhere. That's the way I've always looked at it at least.
  • stephiehampshire
    Options
    I feel your pain! I could run 2 miles in 20 minutes on the treadmill but go outside and I struggled to keep going after 10 minutes!

A few of these are repeats of what other people have said but hey heres my advice that I found helped me (I can now run 5 miles none stop outside, my record was in 2012 when I ran a half marathon none stop)

1. Visit a sport shop and get fitted for running shoes. A good sports shop will watch you walk and run bear foot to see how your feet land, everyone lands their feet differently. They can then fit you with trainers that correctly support your feet based on your running style

2. Drop the speed! I listen to music when I run and I did the first mile of one session in 6 minutes 17 which sounds impressive but the next 3 miles I could barely jog and I had to walk a large chunk of them. When I did my 5 mile run I was able to keep a constant 10.5 min mile pace and ran the whole thing none stop

3. Push through! Its hard to run outside due to changing weather, changing surface (gravel, road, grass, footpaths etc) as well as the fact that its never flat. The best thing is to start off short and slow and build up and add on distance, dont worry or care about speed thats not important! Whats important is reaching your goal and challenging yourself.

I find that if I plan a route before hand and remember key distance markers it makes my run easier as I can make a deal with myself that if I can make it to the bridge without stopping then I can walk across the bridge and have a water break etc
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the advice already given.
    Go slow. If being out of breath is an issue? Start with some version of a run/walk combination.
    What helped me at the beginning was setting small obtainable goals. My initial circuit was slightly over 3k. First time out it took me 45 min to complete and I had to stop and walk 5x. My initial goal was to complete this circuit with 3 or less walk breaks. Once I accomplished this (after about 3 weeks of running 3x per week). I set the goal of running the circuit non-stop. This took about another 3 weeks. Then it was reducing the time. Then adding distance. Then trying a race. Etc Etc Etc.
    And, I'm still pushing out that goal line!

As an aside, if weather or opportunity has you working out inside? When running on a treadmill, try raising the angle. Just like above you can raise and lower several times during your run. In addition, as you add time & distance to your runs, how you stride may become important. Every now and then, try running barefoot on the treadmill. Not too long and not too fast! Just as an exercise to keep your form as natural as possible. Rumor has it that this helps avoid repetitive strain injuries.

My last piece of advice! HAVE FUN! If you are not enjoying the experience, it is very unlikely that you will stick with it! If you want to run and are unmotivated? Look for a local running group and try running with the group 1x per week. This is something else that has helped me immensely!

All the best for however you decide to go forward!
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    bump. I told myself that once the cooler weather got here I would move my runs outside but I'm actually nervous to do so.
  • stephiehampshire
    Options

My last piece of advice! HAVE FUN! If you are not enjoying the experience, it is very unlikely that you will stick with it! If you want to run and are unmotivated? Look for a local running group and try running with the group 1x per week. This is something else that has helped me immensely!

This is so important! you need to enjoy yourself, this is why I like listening to music when I run and planning a route that goes around nice scenary and away from roads as much as possible.
  • dobfankris
    Options
    I had the same experience moving from treadmill at the gym to running outside, even when I had set an incline on the treadmill to help compensate. It was very discouraging how soon I tired outdoors. I had to jog/walk until I could acclimate and really I am still catching up. I started running 1 min, walking 1 min until I didn't feel immediately winded, building up to longer runs till I could run a mile without stopping... but it took me a long time to get there. Now I love running outdoors.

Keep it up, you can do it!
  • pinktoesjb
    pinktoesjb Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    i'm exactly the same, can go a long way on the treadmill but really struggle outside. I can only say if you really want to do it, keep at it and it will improve.

make sure you have very good shoes and a way to monitor your pacing (i have a play list for this!).
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Start the couch to 5k again outside. If you are doing a 5k, the best thing you can do now is move to outlet door running for your training , not the treadmill.
  • mazmataz
    mazmataz Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Just like everyone else....I discovered the treadmill at the gym about 8 years ago. Having never been an active/sporty type in my life, I was thrilled to realise that I could run on the damn thing...for a pretty long time! I was convinced that I had found the Kelly Holmes within, and decided to take my new found athleticism outdoors. I had visions of gliding along the West Sands beach at St Andrews (I was living there at the time!), Chariots of Fire music playing, wind in my hair etc etc!

Nope.

After about 10 minutes of realsing that even compact sand is pretty hard to run in, I moved up to the road alongside the beach. Five breathless, sweaty, puffy minutes later I was beginning to wonder if I had imagined the whole treadmill extravagansa?!

Well I have since learned the error of my ways, and just like everyone else has said, basically on a treadmill you are in a very controlled envrionment. Your pace is controlled, the gradient is controlled, the weather is pretty reliable and I have get to come across a pot hole on a treadmill. It's a different breed of running as far as I'm concerned. Don't let it dishearten you, just keep going outside...trust me you'll improve before you know it. These days I tend to use the dread...I mean treadmill for interval training, practicing my inclines and sprinting as jogging along at a steady pace staring at the wall bores the hell out of me.

It's a lesson we all learned at some point! ;)