CARBS!! and breakfast

Options
No matter what I do, I cannot lower my carbs in the morning! I have to have something fast so it is usually a healthier cereal like Special K or Fiber One or a cereal bar. I do not have time to cook anything. I also HAVE TO have my milk in the morning and I drink fat free. Please help because I go over carbs almost every day. I also stay under my 1222 calorie too so through out the day i do well.

Replies

• Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    My go to quick breakfast - 1 cup cottage cheese w/ 3/4 cup frozen mixed berries or other fruit - 300 cal, 23 carb, 26 pro (great way to start the day) and 11 fat (b/c I use full-fat cottage cheese).
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with carbs. MFP's macros setting are very low to begin with anyways

Why not prepare your breakfast the night before?
    Wish I could give you breakfast idea but I don't eat breakfast.

You could probably make a quiche, or omelet/scramble, some cottage cheese and fruits or something like that?
  • septembergrrl
    septembergrrl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, what have you tried? It sounds like what you're saying is, "I want to lower my carbs without changing what I eat." Which ... isn't going to work.

I agree with the recommendation of precooking hardboiled eggs. You could also try smoothies, cheese, nuts, yogurt, maybe some fruit with a nice nut butter.

Or you could just decide not to worry too much about carbs if the rest of your diet is going well.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Scrambled egg & bacon... doesn't take long to do at all...
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Have you ever microwaved an egg? I take one of my kid's plastic bowls (cause their FoldIt size) crack and egg, nuke for 1 minute and then slap it in a FoldIt (Walmart bread thingy, reasonable carbs) and a piece of cheese. (234cal 17c/11f/18p)

It takes me literally 2 minutes to make. If you wanted, you could add an extra white for more protein and few calories.
  • kimjoffe
    kimjoffe Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I want carbs in the morning too so I have them. wheat toast with almond butter and half of a banana. I try and cut back on carbs with the other two meals.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I go for shreddies and milk - 60g shreddies, 150ml milk. Every day, and have done since I was very small (although I have only recently started weighing). MFP says about 50 carbs.
  • highervibes
    Options

I actually cook a couple packs of bacon on Sunday and leave it cooked in the fridge in our "bacon container" as we've so lovingly dubbed a gigantic rubbermaid hehe. It's not the time to cook it that's a pain, but the greace splatters! I'm only doing that once lol
  • cl_green
    Options
    I usually make up about 6 hard boiled eggs, peal them, and then put them in the fridge, then I can grab a couple in the mornings when I'm in a hurry.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

This.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Have you tried making your breakfast the night before and just heating it up the next morning? A fritatta or scrambled eggs will heat up nicely. The eggs may be a little watery but I just blot them with a paper towel or drain them in a strainer and put them on my plate. Another option is a yogurt parfait that I love - 1/2 c yogurt, 1/4 c cottage cheese, 1/2 banana, 1/2 c blueberries, 1/4 c granola (or you can substitute 1 T walnuts and 1/4 c of your favorite cereal for the granola).

The other option is to get up 15-20 minutes earlier so you have time to make breakfast. It doesn't take long to make an omelette - just keep the add ins diced up and ready in your fridge.
  • rgchildress
    rgchildress Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I too need something fast in the mornings. I usually eat a small apple (like Gala) . I cut into 4 quarters and cut out the core then i just top it with peanut butter usually I divide around 1 tbsp between the 4 sections.
    Sometimes I eat a fruit on the bottom greek yogurt. instead,or if i don't have breads planned in any other meals that day I may have a slice of ww toast with 2 teaspoons of peanut butter and half a banana.
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I cook several pieces of salmon once a week, and then I stick it all in Ziploc bags in the fridge. I get up and grab one for breakfast -- I can eat it cold or I can toss it in the microwave for a minute. I usually add a piece of high-fiber low-sugar toast and some low-carb yogurt. I rarely cook in the morning, but I never eat cereal.
  • highervibes
    Options
    Why is it everyone always need something fast. I like in what people consider a city that is just to fast paced (NYC). I make time.

Some people just dont' want to? Who cares? lol
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I often am in a hurry in the morning too and don't have time to cook. Here are some easy breakfast ideas that will be lower in carbs!

- hard boiled egg (can make in advanced) on toast

- fruit & yogurt parfaits (1 c yogurt, 1/4 c granola, and sliced seasonal fruit on top, make the night before)

- RAW brand oatmeal with PB2 (powered peanut butter, only 45 calories per serving)

Also, what is your carb goal set to for the day? What foods are you eating for lunch and dinner that could also be taking up a lot of carbs? I probably have 100-200g of carbs a day, maybe more if I exercise a lot.
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Why is it everyone always need something fast. I like in what people consider a city that is just to fast paced (NYC). I make time.

Some people just dont' want to? Who cares? lol

So the answer is laziness?

I think the answer is... it's irrelevant.

She said she didn't have time in the morning. ~Why~ she doesn't have time isn't the topic.

@the Op - I don't like eating carbs in the morning, because I am often hungry not long after. I drink protein shakes instead

I add a scoop of the powder, some frozen chopped fruit and a lowfat yogurt to a blender with some ice and water... 30s later I have a smoothy that I can sip while I get my kids and myself ready for work.

I add lots of water to make it filling and it keeps my full most of the morning.