What's the best/worst thing about losing weight?

I ask this question, as both myself and my Wife started on the quest to fitness and weight loss about 5 months ago and have had some very good success. We don't follow any fad diets but use MFP to track what we eat (healthy stuff 99% of the time) and we exercise in some way every single day.

The best things we've noticed is that people start to notice that we've lost weight, including those we see every day, and that we can now both run for 5k without passing out.

The worst is that our clothes are now far too big and make us look like sacks of spuds (potatoes), our life revolves around exercise, we are knackered most days, I am getting to the point where I need to run every day and friends/colleagues keep trying to feed us cr*p food and insist that 'it won't hurt you' and then get very upset when you politely decline for the twentieth time.

What have fellow MFPers found?

41650117.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• GeekMeister
    GeekMeister Posts: 41 Member
    The best thing for me is that I forgot how good it felt to not feel like garbage every single day. I feel good when I get up and I genuinely have a renewed sense of health. I no longer breath heavy walking up stairs and I'm surprised daily how much faster I move around. Like you, my wife and I have been doing this together and we walk every single day. I've also personally started running and its made a real difference.

The worst thing for me is that I sometimes get worried when I dont have a certain loss that I was expecting. It creates a little anxiety and I think I'm doing something wrong. I start obsessing about what I ate and how much of it I ate. Could I have done this better could I have run a little more etc. I've still got another 30lbs to go and I want it to go faster! But I know I can only do what I can do and as long as I keep it up eventually I will get where I want to be. The good definitely out-weighs the bad and the more I do the less worry I have.

MFP has really helped along with my Fitbit. It keeps me moving and motivated. I really enjoy reading all the positive stories out here.
  • Shannonthompson73
    Shannonthompson73 Posts: 105 Member
    The best thing is that food tastes so much better now than when I was constantly eating whatever was in my path.

The worst thing is the amount of time I spend thinking about exercise and food. I need to settle down and quit obessing. I know the right things to do, I need to just do it without all the drama in my head.
  • BranMuffin86
    BranMuffin86 Posts: 314 Member
    The best thing by far is the feeling and the way that my clothes are starting to fit.

The worse it that I can't eat like I use to. I have a horrible sweet tooth and I can indulge it like I use to. But it's definitely worth it :-)
  • kowskey
    kowskey Posts: 19 Member
    Best thing: You get to shop for new clothes.
    Worst thing: You get to shop for new clothes.
  • KoRnKraZy
    KoRnKraZy Posts: 69 Member
    The best thing for me is I finally enjoy going out in public. Before I would always worry about what people thought of me, wear baggy clothes to cover up. Now I don't give a damn what people think and I actually like dressing up to go out with friends.

The worst thing is that I am cold ALL THE TIME and I can get a bit obsessive with the counting calories part.
  • Mandr2199
    Mandr2199 Posts: 9 Member
    The best for me looking in a mirror and knowing the person staring back at me will be here for his kids and grand kids. The worse is spending money on new clothes because the old ones don't fit. (I'm cheap).
  • ekaustin7
    ekaustin7 Posts: 185 Member
    The best thing is getting to buy all new clothes!

The worst thing is having to buy all new clothes...
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member

^^^^ This, so damn expensive

Worst: Once you've got down to your desired weight you're then paranoid about putting on, which can be unhealthy
    Best: You can do more
  • BSBgirl337
    BSBgirl337 Posts: 119 Member
    Best: Knowing I will get down to my goal weight again.

The worst is definitely a longer list. That's why it's so hard to do this!

Worst: Can't eat out with friends or eat like they do, can't drink alcohol, no one notices that I've lost weight, deciding what weight loss amount to spend money on new clothes, the time it takes to work out everyday...
  • DChabibi
    DChabibi Posts: 21 Member
    Best thing: Everything is easier- Running, working out, walking uphill, climbing stairs...this makes working out fun as am learning what my body is capable of doing. Oh and flirting for sure! hehehehe:love: .

Worst thing: Always planning what to eat. And grocery shopping on weekends- I think am the only person who hates grocery shopping. :). But I know if I don't, then eating out comes ALL the temptations!
  • DChabibi
    DChabibi Posts: 21 Member

YES! ^^^!!!! Am walking around looking like am wearing hand me downs. It sucks especially when you're in between sizes. DO you wear the tight pants (smaller size) or the baggy pants (current size that is too big)??????????ohwell
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    The best think about losing weight has been the reflection in the mirror. I really like the person I see now.

The worst thing would probably be the sense of loneliness that comes with dieting when you're the only one in the family doing it. That's why I like MFP, I have people I can talk to when I need motivation or support.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,064 Member
    My clothes are constantly getting looser...especially my pants. It's annoying and I HATE clothes shopping.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member

Exactly this!

But really, the best thing? The way my husband looks at me. :-D
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Best thing: Everything is easier- Running, working out, walking uphill, climbing stairs...this makes working out fun as am learning what my body is capable of doing. Oh and flirting for sure! hehehehe:love: .

Worst thing: Always planning what to eat. And grocery shopping on weekends- I think am the only person who hates grocery shopping. :). But I know if I don't, then eating out comes ALL the temptations!

No, I hate grocery shopping too. Blech. Mostly because my husband and I do it together, and he takes forever.
  • pfgaytriot
    pfgaytriot Posts: 238 Member
    Best: My self-esteem is at a all-time high.
    Worst: The dip in my armpits make it very difficult to shave. I had no clue!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Why do you need to run every day? There's such a thing as overdoing it.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member

YES! ^^^!!!! Am walking around looking like am wearing hand me downs. It sucks especially when you're in between sizes. DO you wear the tight pants (smaller size) or the baggy pants (current size that is too big)??????????ohwell

I am so here with you....

It's hard though because I always pick up stuff for my daughter.

I think since my birthday is coming up next month, I'll splurge for myself for a change.

Everything is falling off now... not a good look, but a good feeling.
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Yep! All week at work one of my friends keep making fun of my baggy pants and skirts. But when you have a bigger goal and need to go down mutiple sizes, it's hard (for me) to justify spending much on those in between sizes that I don't plan to stay in very long. Overall, though, it's a good problem to have! Better than having to shop up because you can't breathe anymore in your clothes. :embarassed:
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    The best thing: Being able to shop anywhere for clothes.

The worst: Having days where I feel just as fat as a I did when I started.