Maybe this can help your chocolate craving sometime

Options
OK ladies - it was that time. Every single inch of my body and brain were seriously craving chocolate. Now, before you say give into it and have a little bit of chocolate, let me just say it was one of those once a month cravings where I could have consumed 1 pound of chocolate and been craving more….just one taste would have sent me into the Augustus Gloop in the chocolate river scene of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. So, I am sitting there and literally having a fight with myself in my brain - Don't do it! Don't do it! Oh - and it was the evening right before bed, so my cals were spent. So, I made a deal with myself - I would find something healthy and sweet - sweet enough to hopefully satisfy me. I had to slowly eat what I found and then I had to sit for 10 minutes and wait and see if the chocolate urge was gone. If not, I would just give into the craving. If it was gone, I knew I would wake up in the am feeling totally relieved and proud of me. So, I went to my fridge and pantry scouring for what could possibly curb this chocolate monster attack. And then it appeared before me - a bag of plums. The angels sung (could this actually work??). Ok - I am gonna try the plum. So I sat and slowly ate my plum….as the natural sugars started coming through, I actually felt the chocolate craving disappear. I literally was amazed. I typically don't buy plums, but I had just picked them up while stocking up on produce the day before - they looked good and they were on sale. And, this morning it felt like I was being rewarded - I got on the scale (usually weigh Fridays/Tuesdays) and I was down 1.5 after nothing for about a week and a half. YAY ME!

So, maybe next time your having difficulties with a craving, try a plum or another healthy food item that you don't so often have.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Or for the same calories you could have a small piece of dark chocolate. There's nothing wrong with having chocolate if it fits in your budget.
  • FatOldBat
    FatOldBat Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Or for the same calories you could have a small piece of dark chocolate. There's nothing wrong with having chocolate if it fits in your budget.
    Exactly. When I want chocolate, a plum is just a silly thing. A small piece of high quality, dark chocolate is eminently worth a hundred calories.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options

True, but OP mentioned an inability to just eat a small piece of chocolate. Without willpower to stop the plum was probably a better idea for them. Of course, now I want some dark chocolate.
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Exactly. When I want chocolate, a plum is just a silly thing. A small piece of high quality, dark chocolate is eminently worth a hundred calories.

Except that chocolate appears to be a trigger food for OP, at least at that time.

Helps to actually read the whole post before replying.
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Oh I hate those crazy cravings!
    If I start when I'm in that mood I WILL NOT STOP!
    Call me weak but that's how it is.
    Other times, I can easily have just one piece or spoonful of whatever food it is that I'm craving. :smile:

It's wonderful that the plum satisfied your craving. Good job for talking yourself through this and averting a chocolate binge!
    Seriously, this is huge for those of us who can relate.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    my friend gave me a box of truffles this past weekend for throwing her a bridal shower, I've been having one a night for the past 3 nights. They are so rich that all I need is one. I wasn't going to deprive myself and I wasn't going to waste the nice truffles.
  • FitCanuckChick
    FitCanuckChick Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    "Exactly. When I want chocolate, a plum is just a silly thing. A small piece of high quality, dark chocolate is eminently worth a hundred calories."
    [/quote]

Thank you for calling what I thought was a pretty great thing for me (my little plum) silly. I was just trying to help others who may have the same issue with stopping at one piece of chocolate - maybe the plum would work for them too. It's so nice to have support.
  • amandarawr06
    amandarawr06 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Good job!

I get the trigger thing (apparently others do not know how to read). Certain things set me off. I go in with good intentions of just having so much, and end up eating over my calories in it.
  • beckyhoo
    beckyhoo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have a serious sweet tooth and have found fruits to be a great substitute for the empty calories of junk food. And I've also recently discovered how great plums are! Good for you, OP!
  • FitCanuckChick
    FitCanuckChick Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Good job!

I get the trigger thing (apparently others do not know how to read). Certain things set me off. I go in with good intentions of just having so much, and end up eating over my calories in it.

Thanks - I am the chocolate monster with PMS - successfully fighting off that craving and not letting myself eat the chocolate was just a huge deal for me. I find it disheartening when the response is - just have chocolate.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Thank you for calling what I thought was a pretty great thing for me (my little plum) silly. I was just trying to help others who may have the same issue with stopping at one piece of chocolate - maybe the plum would work for them too. It's so nice to have support.

I've substituted something else for a sweet before because, like you, I also have a problem stopping when it comes to sweets. I love sugar, but I'm very sensitive to it and have to be careful when I eat it.

I found your advice very valuable. :smile:
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    i think it was a great job. i love a fruit at night anyhow. plums are good but my favorite is an apricot in bed before bed LOL. but i havent been able to find them in over a month :(
  • amandarawr06
    amandarawr06 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Good job!

Thanks - I am the chocolate monster with PMS - successfully fighting off that craving and not letting myself eat the chocolate was just a huge deal for me. I find it disheartening when the response is - just have chocolate.

I get that! Good for you for stay away from it! Have you ever tried alternatives like... chocolate milk (or soy chocolate milk, yum).
  • soupandcookies
    soupandcookies Posts: 212 Member
    Options

Um... really? She was sharing a victory. Why are you criticizing her?

Congrats, OP!
  • beckywilliams1967
    Options
    "Exactly. When I want chocolate, a plum is just a silly thing. A small piece of high quality, dark chocolate is eminently worth a hundred calories."

I am with you all the way - I can't have anything like this in my cupboards/fridge be it chocolate, sweets, biscuits or crisps. If its there I'll eat it so I can sympathise. The plums are a great idea - I know sometimes its tortuous when the craving hits!! Thank you :happy:
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    OK ladies - it was that time. Every single inch of my body and brain were seriously craving chocolate. Now, before you say give into it and have a little bit of chocolate, let me just say it was one of those once a month cravings where I could have consumed 1 pound of chocolate and been craving more….just one taste would have sent me into the Augustus Gloop in the chocolate river scene of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. So, I am sitting there and literally having a fight with myself in my brain - Don't do it! Don't do it! Oh - and it was the evening right before bed, so my cals were spent. So, I made a deal with myself - I would find something healthy and sweet - sweet enough to hopefully satisfy me. I had to slowly eat what I found and then I had to sit for 10 minutes and wait and see if the chocolate urge was gone. If not, I would just give into the craving. If it was gone, I knew I would wake up in the am feeling totally relieved and proud of me. So, I went to my fridge and pantry scouring for what could possibly curb this chocolate monster attack. And then it appeared before me - a bag of plums. The angels sung (could this actually work??). Ok - I am gonna try the plum. So I sat and slowly ate my plum….as the natural sugars started coming through, I actually felt the chocolate craving disappear. I literally was amazed. I typically don't buy plums, but I had just picked them up while stocking up on produce the day before - they looked good and they were on sale. And, this morning it felt like I was being rewarded - I got on the scale (usually weigh Fridays/Tuesdays) and I was down 1.5 after nothing for about a week and a half. YAY ME!

So, maybe next time your having difficulties with a craving, try a plum or another healthy food item that you don't so often have.

Good for you- but I gotta say I bet it would have been even better if you had dipped it in melted chocolate :laugh:
  • suzyfj8
    suzyfj8 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I also find having a low calorie hot chocolate helps my cravings :)
  • lolalament
    lolalament Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    iI find that having hot chocolate helps - if you get the "just add water" ones then they can have as few as 40 calories (Highlights, Options etc) though there are even more around that have about 100 cals.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

Um... really? She was sharing a victory. Why are you criticizing her?

Congrats, OP!

I don't think they were criticizing her, they were just commenting that you can just eat the chocolate if it fits. You know, in case someone else comes along and reads this thread. She might have issues with chocolate triggers but others may not.

Congrats OP! Whatever works for you.
  • BSBgirl337
    BSBgirl337 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic that your were able to curb your chocolate craving with a plum! I'm sure I couldn't do that! WTG!

Maybe playing devil's advocate, but I found this chocolate peanut butter Jif makes the other day, and it's so good! A tablespoon of that helps my sweet tooth, and doesn't ruin my whole day either! :)