What is your motivation?

Options

Replies

• BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I want to prove to people that you can lose weight with thyroid problems, it's just harder than someone that has a normal-functioning thyroid. I like to prove people wrong ;)
  • bbzgrl110
    bbzgrl110 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My husband, children, and grandchildren. Feeling better about myself will just be a bonus :)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    My motivation to get from 307 (all-time high) to 272 lb was primarily health...I didn't have any health issues yet, but I knew how extremely dangerous it was for me to be at that weight.

By the time I got to 272 lb I actually liked the way I looked, again. Even at that weight. My motivation to get from 272 to 262 lb was my adorable new boyfriend (who is now my fiance) encouraging me to give up some unhealthy food items and make the switch to healthier stuff than I'd been eating.

After that, I was shocked that I didn't lose more weight. Back in March of this year we were on a trip and talking with his best friend who changed his diet in the same way I had, and lost 65 lb. I'd only lost 9 lb...what!? I felt sort of competitive and weird, and the same weekend I realized I wasn't crazy about some photos taken of me at an event. The way I felt didn't match the way I looked. I bought a scale and joined MFP on March 25.

Since joining, I've lost 38 lb and I am very happy with myself at 224 lb. I still plan to lose 20-30 lb or more, and my motivation now is just to look better in clothing and out of it. This fall I plan to be much more active, whereas during the summer months I focused more on diet than exercise (still plenty active).
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    So I can stand next to my 'hot' partner and feel that I look as good as he does!

This is a good one. I was married for years to a guy who was very obese and I think it made me lazier by thinking "oh I'm heavy too but I still look good (better? it feels mean to say that) next to him". I would catch our reflection walking as a couple and we looked like a fat couple, and I was ok with that.

I've now become engaged to a new guy who is very tall and fit. He used to be much, much heavier and he lost a lot of weight and is now quite athletic etc. One of my motivations now is to feel like I'm his perfect match (which I do think I am! But I'm talking physically). It makes me happy sometimes when I see the two of us in a mirror and I realize yeah, while I'm still very overweight if someone saw us walking together their first thought would not be "the fat couple over there" but probably more like, "those tall people". I love that.
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Shallow as a puddle - but I want to wear rubber again before I die :devil:
  • crackur
    crackur Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    To watch my 3 year old son grow up........to be active in his life and if I have grandkids one day be active in theirs.
  • KatM2014
    KatM2014 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Improving my fitness. I love horse riding but I really want to get back to showjumping and try trick riding - both of which require a greatly improved fitness level that I currently have. Secondly, my masters graduation. My undergraduate graduation photo was awful, I really want a great photo to show off!!
  • Yourgoingtodothis
    Options
    Finally realising my weight was affecting my whole life, I was so miserable, tired and ill all the time. My family where suffering to and they deserved better and for me to be around longer. My health was getting worse as I got older with sore knees, asthma, graves disease, high blood pressure, hernia problems, bad back the list goes on! In May this year I was seriously ill and ended up having a life saving operation it was a huge wake up call so from then I have stopped yo-yo dieting changed my lifestyle and got off my backside. I am now 21lb down and in this for however long it takes me to get to my goal weight!

Good Luck! You can do this!
  • LuvDarkChocolate
    LuvDarkChocolate Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    My husband he's kinda unhealthy, and everyday he watches me exercise and running etc. I know he thinks I'm a crazy nut, but yesterday he went on the treadmill, when he thought I went out shopping. He was very ill some years ago and he's my everything. Without him in my life I would give up. So I have been making adjustments in food around the house, I've been buying lots of veggies and fruit , and making home cooked meals so that fast food isn't a part of our lives. He wont admit he's in poor health, and the doctors have told him that exercise will get him off his medication. So my reasoning is if I make the effort to look good for him he will follow suit. Don't get me wrong I'm not like a hunch back or anything.....I still turn heads, they just very old heads:laugh:
    (just kidding) Anyway that's my story and I'm sticking to it :wink: Oh yeah and I have about 25lbs or so to lose....I'll get there.
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    being fat really does suck! who doesnt want to look good naked? I want to set a good example for my son, my family has the "fat gene", so i will lead by example. Oh and I love being fit!
  • LuvDarkChocolate
    LuvDarkChocolate Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    High blood pressure and being sick of airplane seats being uncomfortable and not being able to find clothes that aren't dowdy. Or leopard print.

Also my knees hurt.

Jeez I hate leopard print.....who the hell thought that looked good on a overweight person? It's like ringing the dinner bell at the zoo. Stupid clothes designers...you would think they would put a little more love/effort into their designs.
  • jennycita
    jennycita Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    To look good naked.

Basically^^^^

And to get healthy...
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I don't want to be 50, and look 7 month pregnant.
  • ddino
    ddino Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I hardly have any pictures of myself with my kids from the past 5 years. I'm afraid when I'm gone my kids will miss that, but I'm not photogenic in the first place, and when you add 40+ lbs on to my frame, it's even worse. I want to be able to look back at my life, and have my kids look back at our lives, and not cringe.
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    First of all happiness has nothing to do with weight. I was here in 2011 had great success reached my goal weight BUT that didnt mean happiness at all, im back here trying to get to a good weight just to prove to myself I can do it again.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Weight watchers wasn't meeting my current life needs and MFP was highly rated on Consumer Reports.
  • lucystacy71
    lucystacy71 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I have to lose weight in order to be elgibe for a kidney transplant. I've been doing dialysis for almost three years and I want a new kidney.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Not being this guy
    RRPC7Tt.jpg
  • FatAngie70
    Options
    My doctor told me about MFP when I saw her on Monday. I want to get my blood sugar under control and I also want to look good and be healthy.:smile:
  • CassandraBurgos83
    CassandraBurgos83 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Firstly-To be healthy and a healthy example for my family
    Secondly-To feel and Look nice for myself
    Thirdly-To make this a life long affair so I can get off of the up and down cycle
    Fourth-To have fun and help people
    Fifth-Wouldn't mind going shopping and wouldn't mind feeling comfortable in the clothes I buy :)
This discussion has been closed.