First day first question

Options
shriderp
shriderp Posts: 37
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Hello folks,

Background: 265 lb male...trying to lose 2lbs a week!

I started this yesterday....i changed some of my prefs to eat 4 meals a day ....i measured my food and kept it as accurately close as possible....

Today i ate 4 portions and the total comes to 1350 cals...i am feeling okay now....the question is : I have been told that your body enters a 'starvation mode' if enough food is not supplied? MFP wants me to eat 1700 cals a day....if i manage to keep it less ...am i entering this 'startvation mode' and storing fat? or in other words am i required to eat as close to 1700 cals or can i eat less (actually I had just eaten 1150 cals but i ate some more just in case...wasnt hungry)

Please advise!
Cheers
hari

Replies

• KReduced
    KReduced Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Can you eat less than 1700? yes. Should you? Not really. You were given those 1700 for a reason. Those 1100 cals may have worked for you today but I can almost certainly say that you will not be able to keep that up long term. So ask yourself where you want to be in 3 months.. 6 months.. Yo-yo dieting because you think you need to starve, or weighing less because you learned proper eating habits? I encourage you to do your research and stick to it. It is worth it.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Can you eat less than 1700? yes. Should you? Not really. You were given those 1700 for a reason. Those 1100 cals may have worked for you today but I can almost certainly say that you will not be able to keep that up long term. So ask yourself where you want to be in 3 months.. 6 months.. Yo-yo dieting because you think you need to starve, or weighing less because you learned proper eating habits? I encourage you to do your research and stick to it. It is worth it.

Agree. No matter what plan you choose or what your goals are, the key is sustainability.
    If you set your MFP goal to lose 2 pounds a week and you were given a daily calorie goal of 1700 calories, creating a larger deficit is not necessary and can be counterproductive. You should aim to meet that goal every day, AND you should eat back at least some of your exercise calories.
    Food is fuel. Not only is it important to give your body proper energy in the form of calories, but it's also important to make sure your body is getting the proper nutrition. The fewer calories you eat, the harder it is to make sure your body is getting an adequate amount of macro and micro-nutrients.

Additionally, men tend to require more calories than women do. I eat 1750 a day and still lose weight. Make sure you're giving your body what it needs to be healthy. :smile:
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    If you are really aggressive trying to lose weight by going way under on your calories it will work really well for a while. Most people though, get to the point where the have to start raising their calories in order to start losing weight again. That's just the scuttlebutt I get from the boards. The calories that MFP recommends will get you your 2 pounds a week no problem. What you want to be able to do is live with your diet after you lose your weight. I took a year off completely from this program after losing 30 pounds about 1.5 pounds a week. In that year I ate with just some discipline and exercised a little more than I had in the past and only gained back 5 pounds. Most people gain back more than they lost when they fall off the wagon. I didn't, so it seems to me that the slow loss program works pretty well.

Anyway, that's just my experience. I wish you well.
  • shriderp
    Options
    Guys,
    thanks for the nice replies! I wasnt 'trying' to do anything...i just measured some stuff today ...ate per some pre-fixed notion and ended up with 1350 cals...wasnt planning it ...wasnt desiring it ....

i guess in summary y'all suggest that i try to eat 1700 cals + maybe a little bit more? is that right?

Cheers
    Shri.Derp
  • deedzzz
    deedzzz Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Try to hit your daily goal of 1700 cals a day. I doubt you will go into starvation mode on 1400 cals a day but at the end you are going to be frustrated, hungry and will eventually binge. So if you can eat 1700 and lose weight then why not do it?
    Once or twice going under is fine, life happens, even if you go over! Some people believe in evening out during the week: one day more the next day less!
    And if you workout, you should eat back your workout calories. Meaning, if you exercised and burnt 300 calories, on that day eat your pre set 1700 and add the 300 you earned from working out!
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I would definitely suggest trying to eat at your goal.
    Coming in a little under (or a little over) here and there won't hurt you, but making it a point to regularly eat so few calories messes with your nutrition, which can mess with energy levels AND weight loss progress.
  • bdgk
    bdgk Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Apparently the whole "starvation mode" thing is a bit of a myth, you have to be in a very serious calorie deficit before this happens (ie. actually starving). In my opinion the biggest risk when undereating is sudden hunger, leading to binge snacking.

Take it easy, eat when your hungry, keep your portion sizes small.
  • ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Guys,
    thanks for the nice replies! I wasnt 'trying' to do anything...i just measured some stuff today ...ate per some pre-fixed notion and ended up with 1350 cals...wasnt planning it ...wasnt desiring it ....

i guess in summary y'all suggest that i try to eat 1700 cals + maybe a little bit more? is that right?

Cheers
    Shri.Derp

I probably wouldn't go over but I'd try to get close. Look at some of the posts on metabolic slow down... its real... starvation mode.. technically real, not going to happen to you.
  • DeeDeeMee
    DeeDeeMee Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hi Shriderp,

My doctor has advised me to try to eat 20% less than what I would otherwise eat, no holidays and no exceptions. So far just paying attention to that rule has kept me at the correct calorie intake that MFP recommends, so I'd say he's certainly onto something. I also know from past experience that eating way less and depriving myself only makes me sick and miserable in the long run.

I think trying to eat what MFP recommends is a good idea, but if you're feeling full don't push yourself.

:)
  • iamwilso
    iamwilso Posts: 1,955 Member
    Options
    Eating to fewer calories affects how much fuel your muscles are getting. If the don't get enough fuel they can't maintain themselves and weaken resulting in a lower resting metabolic rate. I would bump it up. Feed them muscles and let them take care of some of the work for you.
  • rayofsunshine61
    Options
    welcome to the group and stay motivated. it's great meeting you.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options

Yep, this exactly. You may feel like you can stick to a lower amount of calories now but for most people it's not possible long term. Your energy levels will suffer, you may end up binging eventually because you are starving your body of nutrients and you can end up losing muscle as well as fat. Also 1350 might seem quite reasonable now but try fitting in eating out and special occasions into that. Life happens.

The people on here who tend to have long term success are the one who eat a little bit more and lose a little bit slower
  • shriderp
    Options
    Again
    1) you folks respond quickly and are supportive!
    2) and are asking me to eat more :) ...whats not to love abt you guys ?? :)
    thanks everyone!!

Since I am sensing a lot of support: let me go ahead and get yr'all thoughts/blessings are on this: (this is my big plan! I kinda formulated it on my own based on my schedule and other realities!)

My profile (just so y'all get a picture of the way i live):

1) I am vegetarian (not vegan!) [265 lbs male 35 years of age!]
    2) I don't drink soda (don't have a sweet tooth...no big interest in ice cream/candy etc...)!
    3) I don't buy chips etc (not because of diet...i never did!)
    4) I have a thing for popcorn and some spicy crunchy snacks...and I (used to) pig out with nuts and popcorn!
    5) On the weekends I eat outside a couple of times ......and at-least have abt 5-10 beers over the course of a weekend....and atleast demolish half a pizza in one sitting..
    6) I used to snack late (again nuts/popcorn/some crispy treats!) ...i am reducing it!!
    7) Computer work ...no sports...am active person but i dont play or work out much...last year i swam a mile a day (each mile in abt 40 minutes) for abt a year...no major reduction in weight at all! Maybe got some muscle but didn't lose weight!
    7a) Not proper timing with food! pretty much eat when i am hungry!
    8) i try not to go to buffets...very rarely i do ..maybe once in a month and yes i pig out when I am there...
    9) recently crossed from prediabetic to diabetic ....hence the diet!! THIS IS MY FIRST DIET...i have been watching what i eat somewhat over the last 5 years but i slip out of control fairly easily ...
    10) ...and oh, yes...importantly..i want to look good for my girlfriend!

My plan:

1) Four 16-oz meals a day (I measure)...try to be done by atleast 8 pm.....32 oz of water a day....

2) Four workouts a week....Will incorporate 1 hr a day of exercise (10 mins warm up...30 minutes core exercises (pushups,crunches,squats), and 20 mins of stepping-on-stool for cardio!) ...Once I start I am pretty good at sticking to it!!

3) I want Friday night through Saturday night off from the diet (meaning i will be back on diet from Sunday morning!) ...and i want the freedom to eat what i want....though i will choose the tastiest calories and try to make the best of it ...taste and health wise..and yes, i want to drink beer as well ...

My questions:

1) does this plan sound reasonable as a lifestyle change...i don't want to do this only till i lose weight... i think i can make this my lifestyle...with more exercise and protein intake as i put on muscle!

2) Does this friday night - to -saturday night diet "freedom" mess up things too much! I am commited to his period of freedom...I know that if i am too strict on this weekend thing...i might not pull this diet...but that said, i want an honest opinion on this total plan....

Please let me know! i appreciate the support! And please ask questions as well if you need to before answering this...

this ended up longer than I thought as a "reply" ...I may post a separate thread with the same text as I would like more people to see this and voice their opinions...

Cheers
    Shriderp
  • steve2kay
    steve2kay Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I can't comment on the sense of what you're doing - lots of people have "cheat days" - I prefer the approach of eating what I want, when I want but making sure I come in on the calorie allowance for the day.

I've trained for things like big bike rides, half marathons etc. and not lost weight - I'm sure it's because I didn't monitor what went in my mouth and assumed I'd burn it off (actually I'm not sure I gave it that much thought).

I think there's a lot of freedom in the idea of eating to your MFP allowance - it might be worth putting in what you plan to eat into your food diary for the week and see how many calories/nutrients it works out to be for the week - maybe it'll help you decide whether it's worth having 5 beers as opposed to 10. If you don't have a deficit you won't lose weight.
  • snugglebunny65
    snugglebunny65 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Try to fool you metabolism buy cutting out high carbs one day and then eating them the next day. On your high carb days eat the amount of calories that fitness pal tells you to. After doing this for three weeks change it up to a week of eating all the calories Fitness pal tells you to eat every day for one week. Always eat breakfast 30 mins after you get up. Eat a carb with every breakfast even on low carb days. Eat every three hour so you eat five times a day. On low carb days eat a protein and a fat plus two 1/2 cups of veggie every time you eat. On High carb days eat a protein and a carb plus the veggies. Drink a gallon of water each day. Cut down on salt. e day a week is a reward day and you can eat up to 1,000 calories more that day. Eat something you miss and have been craving like some pizza or an ice cream cone but be careful not to overdo it. I loss 10 lbs my first week of doing this. I do believe alot of it was water weight I had gained from all the salty food choices I made prior to that week. If you want more information on this go to Chrispowell.com. I do hope this helps you. I'm so excited about this diet.
  • samammay
    Options
    Try REALLY hard to eat all of your calories. You're just a bit bigger than I am/was and I eat around 2200 a day and am losing 2.5 a week pretty consistently. Did you tell MFP that you are sedentary? I thought I was too until I started measuring my activity with a FitBit tracker and found that I was actually somewhere in between light and medium activity. Plus I also exercise every day and eat those calories too.

The number MFP gives you has you at a 1000 cal a day deficit already. I would snack between meals (thats what I do and im not ever hungry)
  • samammay
    Options
    I would rethink the friday night - sunday hall pass. You are currently working on a 7000 calorie a week deficit and 10 pints and a couple burgers/pizzas will undo almost every bit of that.

ETA: there is no scientific data to support the timing of food. Eating after 8pm is fine and has no effect on weight loss.
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Since you just started I would suggest that you follow the calories that MFP gave you. Try it out for a few weeks and see where it gets you - you may feel the need to alter some stuff at some point but a great starting point is 1700 calories.
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I have been told that your body enters a 'starvation mode' if enough food is not supplied?

Direct quote from my doctor: "If you're getting sufficient protein intake, a calorie deficit will not put your body into 'starvation mode'."

ETA: I've lost 46 pounds in 3.5 months. Have yet to enter 'starvation mode'.
  • skyekeeper
    skyekeeper Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    It all sounds good but you need more water. Half your weight in ounces. If you weight 265, you need to drink more than 130 ounces of water daily. This will help your success rate in my experience. Good luck
This discussion has been closed.