Negotiating Gym Memberships

Options
I'm considering getting a gym membership but the monthly membership price is a bit steep. Does anyone have any tips/advice/stories for negotiating the price down?

Replies

• Denise1224
    Denise1224 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Ask for a week / day pass to try it out to see if you like it.... you could also ask them to waive the enrollment fee so then it would only be your monthly fee due to join ... sorry that's all I can think of - good luck!!!:smile:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Let them run their sales pitch on you you and then walk away.....play hard to get and chances are they'll offer you incentives to sign up.

Another strategy is to flat out tell them that you'd love to join their gym but you can't afford it (even if you can) and let them try to find a price you're comfortable with (just don't get sucked into a longer term contract for a lower fee......it's a common tactic and rarely ends well).
  • Simply_E
    Simply_E Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions Denise and Brian. I may try a combo of waive the fees/this is what I'm comfortable with.
    And I'm actually okay walking away if need be. We'll see.
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Show them your bewbs, I always get free stuff doing that.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Maybe google for offers, if the gym is a chain.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Show them your bewbs, I always get free stuff doing that.

Win. :flowerforyou:
  • MindofShannon
    MindofShannon Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Go in the last week of the month, that's when they are trying to meet quotas! Also, go on a day/time that isn't super busy for them as you will likely be the only one in there asking for membership details.

This worked for me as well as the aforementioned items and I got a VERY low monthly rate with no contract.