Logging at Christmas

Options

Replies

• JADEPH0EN1X
    JADEPH0EN1X Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    We usually go to stay with family for a week and get invited round to different family members for meals everyday !!
    I intend to be polite & accept but be cautious of the kind of foods I eat .
    I intend to keep the carbs & sugars restricted & go for the veg - unless it's smothered in sauce or butter ! I haven't got a sweet tooth so that won't be a problem.
    On the DAY itself we are taking my parent out for lunch so it will hard to calculate exactly what calories i ve had but am still going to log as best I can ! & will be taking the dog for a loooooong walk & she might even get a doggy bag !
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I ate in moderation last year and just used quick add to guestimate my calories on Thanksgiving and Christmas ensuring I put that I was over for the day. I think I am not going to do that this year because making my own thanksgiving stuffing derailed me the entire month between the two. I think I am sticking to the healthy stuff and logging exactly what I ate to avoid temptation is best for me.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    It's September.

ETA: And no one got fat in a day...or even a week.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    My birthday is this weekend..

I have bigger cakes to fry.

Or something like that.
  • dcapulet
    dcapulet Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Natty, I am with you all the way. I planned out my Thanksgiving menu just yesterday. It works out better for me to plan.

I "hope" to stay within my calorie limits for the day. I found healtheir alternatives to some recipies for the actual meal, and made sure to be reasonable with breakfast and lunch items to not go overboard. With that being said, if I did choose to go over, I am prepared for that too. It is a holiday, and one day of going over would not be the end of me. But, I also don't want to undo my hardwork.

Bottom line - know your personal limits, enjoy yourself, and move on :heart:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I do both. I go crazy *and* I log everything.
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    It's hard because the best treats are hanging around at Christmas.

What helped me was having the flu a week prior to Christmas and day of. Red and green popsicles for all, ho ho ho.

In past years, I've taken control of my menu and that helped - for those particular days. The killer for me are things like little cheesecake squares or truffles hanging around in the communal work areas. Even if you eat just a little of this and a little of that, it adds up so quickly.

Plus, when money's tight (and that seems to be the case at Christmas for me and all my loved ones) we share the holiday joy with baked goods instead of spending money at the store.

Knowing the pitfalls helps, but it's definitely the hardest time of year to maintain a reasonable number of weekly calories.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Now I am stressed about Christmas shopping. :angry:
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I sure do log.
    its the holidays
    go eat and drink your face off.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I got a cookout with a bonfire and Smore's tonight, Bowling and Pizza and Ice cream tomorrow night, a wedding and full on reception Saturday and a Birthday/Family Cookout (Wife's B-day) where I am hosting and baking 48 chocolate frosted cupcakes and homemaking 5 gallons of cookie and cream ice cream and that is just the next 4 days lol.... My point is "Its Life" there is nothing happening tomorrow or the next day that won't be happening at Christmas. You have a caloric intake and macros you need to reach each day and there will always be temptations at every turn. Just learn to fit things into your day and move on..... Best of Luck.....
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    I eat, I drink, I log
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    By the time it rolls around, if I've been at a 500 cal a day deficit, I'd have a 182,000 calorie deficit, so it's kinda hard to worry about even putting a dent into it with one day's eating.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Three days of the year I've decided not to log: Thanksgiving, Christmas, and my birthday. Every other day of the year, I log faithfully.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Wow! Usually these posts don't start showing up until a few weeks before Thanksgiving! You'll have to decide what works for you. Sometimes a vacation from everything, even logging can be a good thing. It all depends on whether you will get back to logging once it is over.
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Last year, I was about 5 months into maintenance over the holidays, and I was 1 or 2 pounds less than what I consider my minimum, and about 3-4 pounds less than my target, so while I kept my meals in check with portion sizes, I did splurge on all of the holiday treats. While I was off, I also increased my workouts, so all in all over the 6-weeks or so between Thanksgiving and New Year's I gained about 2-3 pounds (but within my acceptable range). I started logging again in January to ensure I got back to my normal maintenance routine.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    We should do some kind of "naughty or nice" thread of open diary posts during the 12 days leading up to Christmas.
  • hannah_ryann
    hannah_ryann Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I got a cookout with a bonfire and Smore's tonight, Bowling and Pizza and Ice cream tomorrow night, a wedding and full on reception Saturday and a Birthday/Family Cookout (Wife's B-day) where I am hosting and baking 48 chocolate frosted cupcakes and homemaking 5 gallons of cookie and cream ice cream and that is just the next 4 days lol.... My point is "Its Life" there is nothing happening tomorrow or the next day that won't be happening at Christmas. You have a caloric intake and macros you need to reach each day and there will always be temptations at every turn. Just learn to fit things into your day and move on..... Best of Luck.....

QFT.
    Listen to this man. He knows a thing or two.
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I'd log it and not care abou the consumption unless it gets out of hand. That said, I do exercise during the holidays so I do have a bit of a cushion
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    My advice is to start thinking of healthy low cal recipes now. Then you can have enough ammo on that day and the month. Keep walnuts out on your counter or table for quick grab snacks and don't stress right now.. Just plan ahead. There are so many yummy ideas and recipes out there so it wont be a problem to stay on track. Then right after the holidays just jump back on track.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I logged at Christmas and hit my weekly goals eating everything I wanted over both Thanksgiving and the Christmas/New Years Holiday.

Watch that egg nog though!

Logging let's you know what you should eat in small quantities and what you can eat as much as you want.