Calorie Counting Obsessed?

Options
I was just accused of being obsessed with calorie counting. Note that the people who are telling me to chill out are SKINNY!!! It's not even that am being terribly open about calorie counting either. They asked me if I wanted a cookie. I told them "no." Then, they asked why and I told them it isn't in my calorie budget. I guess, next time I need to just lie and say, "I don't really like cookies"????

How do y'all combat looking like an obsessed calorie counting crazy person?

Replies

• RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I've been logging everything for 3 months now. I'm happy. If your happy to hell with anyone else :)
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Well I don't really tell people that I can't eat something because it has too many calories. If I don't want to eat something, I just tell them I prefer to eat something else.
  • bigphatcat
    bigphatcat Posts: 7,843 Member
    Options
    For my friend Fi
  • emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Lol call them cookie obsessed
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You just say no thank you and if they question that then they are rude. Everyone has the right to refuse for whatever reason they want.
  • monicagellarbing
    Options
    I have this same problem, or rather, I am scared of getting that reaction from the people I know.

Tell the truth and be harassed about it or make another excuse that won't be questioned? I don't know? Tell them you just had 10 cookies and couldn't possibly eat another? haha, I don't know.
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    If people tell me I'm crazy for counting calories, I give them a quiet smile and change the topic.
  • slim_photographer
    slim_photographer Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    obsessed-dedicated.jpg

Learn to live with it. And try not to expose your playbook too much. One's betterment tend to make insecure people feel like they are on the way down.
  • FitCanuckChick
    FitCanuckChick Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    To some, it does seem obsessive to count calories. To me it is no different than being financially responsible (and I have used this as an example) - I do a budget for my family. If I go over my budget I get into debt or dont put enough into savings. If I had $5000 in a month I am not going to earmark $6200 - otherwise I would run into trouble. I need to be accountable to keep my finances in line (becasue it would be easy to spend to much mindlessly if I did not). Counting calories is no different - you need to keep track to be accountable to yourself (or you will get into trouble).
  • thenewmanda
    thenewmanda Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I get that alot. My family tells me I'm too OCD with it and that it will end up hurting me in the long run. I just smile and tell them that it helped me shed 50+ pounds in a year and to mind their own business.
  • thenewmanda
    thenewmanda Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    obsessed-dedicated.jpg

Learn to live with it. And try not to expose your playbook too much. One's betterment tend to make insecure people feel like they are on the way down.

LOVE!!!!!!
  • benjicloverdale
    benjicloverdale Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    You don't owe anyone an explanation! "No thanks. I'm good," should be enough.
  • robertlugg
    robertlugg Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I don't think you did anything wrong. Maybe just said another way...you shouldn't have to lie. I would think a "thank you, but I'm watching my weight" would be as non-confrontational as you can get. Don't lower yourself to lying just to appease others.

If they protest, I would just say "no thank you" and change the topic as the previous commenter suggested.
  • Ignaura
    Ignaura Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    You don't to explain anything to anyone... just tell them you'll pass on the cookie this time.
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    A girl I used to be friends with accused me of lying about my sick daughter to avoid going to a party because I was "so obsessed" with my weight loss. Some people are delusional
  • ttiiggzz
    ttiiggzz Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I haven't mentioned to anyone I track on this site, instead I tell them I'm trying to eat healthier and have cut back on processed sugars / carbs. At that point they just look at me rather oddly. :)
  • rhileyschubbygranny
    Options
    I say that I am allergic to certain ingredients and unless I bake it myself i don't eat it because I am paranoid about cross contamination, etc. Works every single time!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Darn cookie pushers :noway:
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    obsessed-dedicated.jpg

^ This, pretty much.

My boyfriend gets on me about it a little bit sometimes. He says "most healthy people don't track every little thing that goes into their mouth". Which, to be fair, is probably true. A lot of healthy people DON'T have to track.

What I respond with is usually "I know, and I'll get to the point where I don't have to, but for right now... this is what I need".

Do you and be awesome, OP. Don't let other people bring you down.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    obsessed-dedicated.jpg

Yep :)

Thanks, everyone! It's so good to hear how others handle the same situations. I think I'll go with, "Just trying to cut back on some things," which is true, and it's general enough that it's not a "hate" word. haha!

As for the person whose significant other made the "healthy people don't count calories" remark...unfortunately, our relationship with food isn't completely healthy which is why we're calorie counting and weighing/measuring food--to be able to really understand what proper portions look like and to make reasonable choices to be a "normal, healthy" person, right?