Texas Roadhouse!

Options
My friends and I have been planning to eat at Texas Roadhouse today for awhile. I wasn't sure what to do. I wanted to hang out with my friends and I LOVE TRH, but I didn't want to fail on my diet. And then I realized something. I'm not on a diet, I'm changing my lifestyle. And I'll never make it if I give up all the foods I love. So, I hit the gym really hard this morning to build up some exercise calories and I kept my breakfast and snacks low in calorie. When I went to the reseraunt, I ordered a salad (minus the croutons) and light dressing on the side. I indulged myself with one roll, mashed potatos and grilled bbq chicken. I ate only half and brought the rest home for dinner.

In the end, by making a few adjustments to what I ordered, I was able to really enjoy my favorite resteraunt while not giving up my favorite foods or blowing my calories for the day. It makes me optimistic for my future success.

Replies

• SJSchwartz
    Options
    Also, if you know ahead of time where you are going to be eating, you can look up their menu online and see the nutrional info for everything. There you can pick out exactly what you want to eat, and you'll know exactly how many calories it all is. I hate just having to order salads at great food joints, so I plan ahead online. It's not too hard to make smart choices when you are informed. I do it all the time :)
  • newman84
    newman84 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    i love texas roadhouse
  • suzi67
    suzi67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Great job! We were in San Antonio almost a year ago, pre lifestyle change, and we either went to that restaurant, one very similar. I would have had a tough time not blasting through my goals going there. Making a plan like that is the best way to succeed. I'm just glad we don't have that style of restaurant up here in Canada near where I'm from...:tongue:
  • snookeroo
    snookeroo Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I love Texas Road House!
    I do the same thing. I sometimes build a "bank" w/ exercise calories so I can indulge.
    Sounds like you "worked the system". Actually, you're right. It's not a diet, it is a lifestyle change. Next time, have the steak! You're on the right track!! Congrats and enjoy!!
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'm just glad we don't have that style of restaurant up here in Canada near where I'm from...:tongue:

I feel ya! I also like to tell myself that when winter hits I'm burning more calories just because it's freakin' cold...

Good job, moonport!! It's so awesome to be able to enjoy the things you love and still feel good about it!
  • vkpmusic
    vkpmusic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Also, if you know ahead of time where you are going to be eating, you can look up their menu online and see the nutrional info for everything. There you can pick out exactly what you want to eat, and you'll know exactly how many calories it all is. I hate just having to order salads at great food joints, so I plan ahead online. It's not too hard to make smart choices when you are informed. I do it all the time :)

This is my strategy too whenever possible. On special nights out I also don't beat myself up if I am over. MFP builds in a deficit, so if you are even 200 calories over ONE night on a special occasion, that is ok. You will still drop weight as long as you are back to eating within your limits the next day. The key work is PLAN! :drinker: Oh, and I LOVE TX Roadhouse!
  • KatieM7
    KatieM7 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    To the one who said to look up the calories. Texas Roadhouse doesn't actually have it posted any more how many calories are in the food because they had too many people complaining that they weren't right on. I love eating there and was very disappointed that they didn't have that available but I worked my butt off and went just ate half my food so I didn't have too much. So true that it is not a diet it is a lifestyle change!
  • Memah
    Memah Posts: 129
    Options
    I also do the check the restaurant online thing and it does help. Making little adjustments is a good idea, like omitting croutons, asking for fat free salad dressing, leaving off cheese, and asking for things baked instead of fried.

Why do croutons have to be so high in calories? And wraps are another no-no. I had a spinach wrap recently with chicken salad, and it was so big I had to bring half home. But it wasn't the mayo in the chicken salad but the wrap that did me in.

It is true that we can build up exercise calories, then enjoy some favorites, and start over the next day. We won't interrupt our program, and still we get to enjoy some of our favorites.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    My friends and I have been planning to eat at Texas Roadhouse today for awhile. I wasn't sure what to do. I wanted to hang out with my friends and I LOVE TRH, but I didn't want to fail on my diet. And then I realized something. I'm not on a diet, I'm changing my lifestyle. And I'll never make it if I give up all the foods I love. So, I hit the gym really hard this morning to build up some exercise calories and I kept my breakfast and snacks low in calorie. When I went to the reseraunt, I ordered a salad (minus the croutons) and light dressing on the side. I indulged myself with one roll, mashed potatos and grilled bbq chicken. I ate only half and brought the rest home for dinner.

In the end, by making a few adjustments to what I ordered, I was able to really enjoy my favorite resteraunt while not giving up my favorite foods or blowing my calories for the day. It makes me optimistic for my future success.

Great job! that's exactly how you will succeed! I have been eating badly recently but I have been splitting meals with my friends that way instead of consuming 1000 cals in one meal, i only consume about half.

keep it up!
  • lynngottschalk
    lynngottschalk Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I went to Logan's Steakhouse lately and should have looked up the nutritional values first. I thought I'd be OK since I shared apetizer and dessert, had brocolli and salad as my sides, and ate only 2/3 my 6 oz steak. Despite an apple breakfast and granola bar lunch, I went way over! The sneakers were the horseradish sauce and the butter top roll. And I didn't get light dressing cause they only had ff. Next time I take my own dressing, ask for horseradish rather than horseradish sauce and skip the roll if I am having an apetizer. And no more meal deals for me cause I don't need both an ap and a dessert - particularly a steak.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    For me this weekend it was making tapioca pudding for my family. I use 1% milk anyway but I had the calories and didn't go over. I haven't made it for a long time and it was a treat for everyone. I am the one on here but my whole family is benefitting from the healthier changes I am making. I couldn't do this if it was a diet. It is a way of keeping track of what your activity level is and your food intake so you can adjust to variations in life situations. Recently I had a cold and didn't want to overdue the exercise and had to adjust. Yes I ate more calories but I was able to stay under. It is the same thing as going out or a family birthday. Yes it is nice when we have a routine that works for us. But life happens and we need to learn how to enjoy it without losing site of what is good for us.
  • Stewie316
    Stewie316 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I love Texas and Logan's Roadhouse. I know this is a lifestyle change, but I have no will power over those rolls (good bread is my one weakness). I can easily eat 6 or more before the meal comes. If I go there it would have to be a once/twice a year thing.