5lb weight gain from constipation -- any fast remedies?!

Options
2»

Replies

• gracejr
    gracejr Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If it hasn't been mentioned yet, blueberries. Either fresh or as juice. Works like magic, every time. And doesn't taste nasty or give you cramps.
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    With a past ED, I'd stay away from laxatives, but a stool softener would definitely help. That's what I use when needed. Take a couple and wait and wait and wait. Just stay near a bathroom.

Edit: Being totally facetious here, but since I've been struggling with the opposite problem for over a week, may I suggest finding someone with a raging case of diarrhea and drink after them. Problem solved. :drinker:
  • captndalton
    captndalton Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    how 'bout fasting until this issue resolves. I'm sure it hurts and it's probably dangerous. There are a lot of fine remedies listed, but I'd be weary of adding to the back of the problem. Coffee and walking are my best recommends, outside of waiting to eat.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    If your diet has been low on fat, add some! Works wonders for me. Enjoy a full fat burger.
  • jhalton
    Options
    A healthy way to get your bowels moving is the combination of buffered vitamin C ( I prefer powder form) and magnesium citrate. Play with the amounts until you get it right. If you get diarrhea, reduce dose, etc. You can order from places like Lucky Vitamin and Vitacost. Msg me if you need more advise. I used to suffer from chronic constipation until my naturopath recommended these supplements.

Good luck!
  • weezbagy
    weezbagy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Warm prune juice. Tastes like liquid Satan, works like a charm.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    how 'bout fasting until this issue resolves. I'm sure it hurts and it's probably dangerous. There are a lot of fine remedies listed, but I'd be weary of adding to the back of the problem. Coffee and walking are my best recommends, outside of waiting to eat.

I cannot believe that anyone would suggest fasting to someone recovering from an eating disorder. That is honestly some of the most irresponsible advice I have ever read on MFP.
  • eylia
    eylia Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Dried prunes also, to snack on. And I believe most fruit helps loosen things up, just as fruit juice can.
  • soupandcookies
    soupandcookies Posts: 212 Member
    Options

I cannot believe that anyone would suggest fasting to someone recovering from an eating disorder. That is honestly some of the most irresponsible advice I have ever read on MFP.

Ugh. Totally agree. I was about to post the same thing.

It may take some time, but your body will adjust soon. My understanding is that people with eating disorders very often have IBS. I obviously have no idea if that's your issue, but your symptoms are not unusual. Take it easy on yourself, and continue to refeed. You are doing all the right things. Recovery is a beautiful thing!

I deal with IBS myself, and the only thing that works for me, is Milk of Magnesia. My GI doctor told me I can take it every day, for life, if I need to. If I don't take it, I can suffer for many days in a row.

I'm sure someone mentioned this, but remember your healthy fats (nuts,oils,etc.). Sometimes lack of fat can have a constipating effect.

Good luck, and super kudos to you, for working on getting healthy!
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    As a chronic sufferer, Magnesium supplements changed my life. It is a safe and effective supplement and most of us can use the extra magnesium and it works wonders. It is also cheap. Vitamin C works much the same way, but requires higher doses. I take a 400mg cap of Magnesium Oxide twice a day and NEVER have problems. Seriously, this is a really safe and sustainable way to deal with constipation.
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Do NOT take laxatives if you are recovering from an eating disorder! Drink fruit juices and eat prunes. Go for a long slow walk. Avoid bananas, cheese, and apples.
  • RobbinRL
    Options
    Prune Juice. Seriously, does nobody have a grandmother any more?
    Sorry but that does not for every single person. Prunes bind me up, so I'm one of them.

I forgot to add, yes it does not hurt to try it.
  • zoodocgirl
    zoodocgirl Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Fiber is awesome for regularity BUT if you add too much insoluble fiber very quickly and you are not used to eating it, it can cause too much bulk at once. Your trainer should have looked at your diet and added in the fiber slowly. And be sure you are eating a combination of soluble and insoluble fiber.

Your screenname says it all for me: coffee is my magic button. I'm actually so classically conditioned now that I often have to go while I'm just MAKING the coffee :)

As uncomfortable as it might be, exercise helps me too. Try a long walk/slow jog? Yoga doesn't help me for this (although I do love yoga).
  • mom2sons02
    mom2sons02 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I take a probiotic every day. I have IBS, so I suffer from the usual nasty bowel issues. Get the good probiotics, the ones the pharmacist keeps in the fridge. And keep them in your fridge. It doesn't really have a laxative effect, so you still may have to deal with that first. But they keep me very regular.
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    You could try yogurt like activia, cherries, grapes, prunes, maybe a natural laxative (not sure if you had a history of abusing them like with some EDs, so that might not be a good idea if that is the case) I would cut back on the fiber. Espresso. Umm if you are a smoker... smoking a cig sometimes losens things up.. lol
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    If you haven't had a BM in 5 days, you need to call your doctor... Like now.
  • admegamo
    admegamo Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Fiber
  • annasor70
    annasor70 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I you eat lots of fresh fruit and veggies it will resolve soon. Avoid chocolate, meat and cheeses.
    Take flax seed in a fruit smoothie ... that will really help.
    I used to have these issues but since going on a plant based diet I am very healthy in that area. You need fiber and the best ways to get it are naturally :) Don't take drugs... just eat really well and exercise and you will be fine.