questions about fitbit

Options
sorry if this is in the wrong forum section...wasn't sure really where to put it...

recently i got a fitbit and was wondering how accurate the calories burned are in the exercise section. I walked approximately 5000 steps (3 dots) and it said i had burned 1000 calories. I find that a little high... should I trust that figure?

Replies

• xapril77x
    xapril77x Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Not sure if fitbit works the same as bodymedia fit but I've only walked 1,000 steps & it says I've burned 745 calories 2day... So sounds legit!
  • adamalle
    adamalle Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Judging by you saying "dots" it sounds like you've got a flex(?)

If you feel it's high try changing the setting from non-dominant hand, to dominant hand in the Fitbit website, it reduces the sensitivity.
  • samammay
    Options
    Not sure if fitbit works the same as bodymedia fit but I've only walked 1,000 steps & it says I've burned 745 calories 2day... So sounds legit!

It also displays your BMR burn rate, so if its the middle of the afternoon, that number does sound legit. :)
  • Eastern_Echo23
    Eastern_Echo23 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    yeah I am using the flex bracelet device.. so far i like it, but i am still working out the kinks.... the steps i like but the calories are still seeming on the high end....
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I believe Fitbit takes into account your overall cal burn even when you're not in motion...but I could be wrong.
  • NinjadURbacon
    NinjadURbacon Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I believe Fitbit takes into account your overall cal burn even when you're not in motion...but I could be wrong.

you are correct.. so each morning you are already at a certain number of burned calories. I wake up and i have several hundred burned just from my overall already in progress.
  • Eastern_Echo23
    Options
    i guess my next question would be, when i sink it to MFP and it says i burned 1000 calories, should I eat that extra 1000 calories or ignore them... and how do i tell how much i should eat... just look at my daily calories at the home screen?
  • xapril77x
    Options
    I'm not sure how fitbit works but if it is measuring all the calories u burn per day like BMF that would be ur TDEE... If u minus off ur deficit (mine is 500 to lose 1 lb per week) that's the number of calories u should consume per day... but I'm not sure about how u do it on MFP if it's adding 1,000... My BMF only adds the amount I go over... Wish I could help more...
  • xapril77x
    Options
    or maybe the 1,000 id what you've went over??? How many does it say u burned 2day now & how many has it added 2 MFP?
  • Eastern_Echo23
    Options
    If you go to the exercise section and look at your log, it says "Fitbit calorie adjustment" and then where the calories section is usually located it says 1,200 calories...
  • Eastern_Echo23
    Options
    also if you click on that fitbit adjustment, a pop-up comes up and says i burned 4000 calories total as a "Full Day Projections" and then under "My fitness pal burned calories" it says 2826... where do these numbers come from?
  • stinkinstone
    stinkinstone Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    MFP made a link for these questions, it helped when I got mine.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/752805-fitbit-adjustment-questions

Also there is a fitbit user group. Hang in, you will figure it all out.
  • xapril77x
    Options
    Looks like it did add 1000 exercise calories then... If u have ur MFP account set on sedentary then ur fitbit is adding because u r not in fact sedentary... Ur actually really active... SO, if I'm correct u would need 2 eat those back or part of them back... Don't worry, I was just as confused when I got my BMF...
  • xapril77x
    Options
    Now I really don't know after looking thru that thread ^^^ WoW! Talk about confusing!!! All I can say is I'm sure glad I got BMF instead! & hope u get ur questions answered... Sorry I couldn't be more helpful! =(